Diablo® III

Tips for hell difficulty

I'm going through hell difficulty at the moment, currently near the end of act I. Throughout normal and nightmare I rolled a very offensive build. I would die quickly if I was attacked, but I could easily vault out of any trouble.

I started out hell with this philosophy, and wasn't getting anywhere. I learnt quickly that I must use more defensive spells than offensive. I tried going for traps + slowing abilities but didn't get very far. If I stumbled upon a group of fast elites I would not have enough damage to kill them before my discipline ran out and I was downed in a few hits.

I've had much better luck rolling with preparation + smoke screen (+1 sec rune). Basically, I smoke screen when the elite reaches me and I keep attacking. The mob usually runs towards my templar buying me some extra time. I then pretty much have to constantly keep up smoke screen (using prep as well) and occasionally potting/running in between cooldowns. Offensively, I use hungering arrow with the +70% damage on pierce rune, ball lightening and rain of vengance (the knockback beast rune).

Does anyone else have other tips on how to deal with the harder elites, especially the faster ones and the groups where all but one have an immunity shield. The latter are extremely difficult!

Would be interesting to hear other strategies, so please share if you have something different
Edited by Wozza#1463 on 5/17/2012 5:04 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Nice, I've been using the same smoke screen prep combo through Nightmare also. Works great for me.
Reply Quote
I've been using Smoke Screen on normal difficulty with great success. The two seconds of not being attacked is all I need to finish off mobs quickly. Smoke Screen rocks!
Reply Quote
Im in hell now as well. Been using this build http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5152406510?page=1#0 since nightmare.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
This is the build I'm using:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#ZbeXVd!Yce!ZaaZaZ

Twin Chakrams has been one of the most effective crowd-dropping skills I've utilized. Tied with Entangling Shot (Chain Gang) & Smoke Screen I can take on just about any group without the worry of dying.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Hunter
I find caltrops with the root work excellently while soloing. It even works on bosses. Combining this with Entangling shot and chain gang allows you to slow down a vast majority of mobs while soloing.
Reply Quote
I have started using a stun lock grenadier build, pretty effective

Single target : bola shot, impale both stun specced
Multi target : grenade, cluster arrow both stun spec
Smoke screen with hatred regen
Bat pet

I use a fast 1 hand crossbow with a quiver for increased stun proccing

Works well in groups too to control masses of mobs and mitigate damage, also use speed boost passive on smoke screen for quick escape.

Could try switching out the bat with the root trap for solo play.
Edited by Fugue#1134 on 5/17/2012 5:22 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Im using a grenadier build:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#UPYdVT!gYb!aYZbbZ

Cluster Bombs (The rune for cluster arrow) does an absolutely unfair amount of damage, once you get the aiming down I found that most rares/uniques are non-problematic.

To give you an idea of how stupidly strong it is I have a video of me killing skeleton king (Hell):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XvOXNcANlA
Reply Quote
I am a 54 Wizzard and Playing with my friend as an 54 Barb.
And we are getting our asses handed to us as soon as we encounter some rare or elite mobs.
I have 25 K hp and some good resistance but still they one-shot me like there is no tomorrow.
I tried everything from 6K allout damage to 2.4K only protective spells but even then they oneshot me... any tips on what to do....?
Reply Quote
I'm going through hell difficulty at the moment, currently near the end of act I. Throughout normal and nightmare I rolled a very offensive build. I would die quickly if I was attacked, but I could easily vault out of any trouble.

I started out hell with this philosophy, and wasn't getting anywhere. I learnt quickly that I must use more defensive spells than offensive. I tried going for traps + slowing abilities but didn't get very far. If I stumbled upon a group of fast elites I would not have enough damage to kill them before my discipline ran out and I was downed in a few hits.

I've had much better luck rolling with preparation + smoke screen (+1 sec rune). Basically, I smoke screen when the elite reaches me and I keep attacking. The mob usually runs towards my templar buying me some extra time. I then pretty much have to constantly keep up smoke screen (using prep as well) and occasionally potting/running in between cooldowns. Offensively, I use hungering arrow with the +70% damage on pierce rune, ball lightening and rain of vengance (the knockback beast rune).

Does anyone else have other tips on how to deal with the harder elites, especially the faster ones and the groups where all but one have an immunity shield. The latter are extremely difficult!

Would be interesting to hear other strategies, so please share if you have something different

I would be interested to hear what you use for single target or if you try to single target with hungering arrow. Impales burst is nice for the shield elites, it isnt the best for DPS though.

I would do different things based on where you are at. If you are out in the open I like using Chakram instead of Elemental arrow. I used Serpentine rune and it is pretty good for single target and AoE, if you can get it to work for you.

In tighter space I have been using lightning bolts AE, Thunder ball BS and Impact Impale. All of those stuns seem to go well with the chain smoke screening.

I have also started using Fan of Knives, even though I used to not like it. My damage is so high now that it one shots groups of lesser mobs that are just being annoying. I dont use it a lot but its nice to have when I get crowded.
Reply Quote
Running with:

Entangling Shot (Chain Gang)
Elemental Arrow (Screaming Skull)
Smoke Screen (Lingering Fog)
Vault (Acrobatics)
Rain of Vengeance (Stampede)
Companion (Boar)

Steady Aim
Sharpshooter
Archery

Using the enchantress with Forceful Push, Reflect Missiles, Disorient and Mass Control.

Emphasised Damage, so I've got about 5.7k dps on char screen and 14k health at level 56.
As you can see, my build is very CC oriented with very high damage, so I'm killing most packs very quickly and find myself able to handle pretty much everything thrown at me excluding packs with Invulnerability Affix which I have to kill through attrition.
Also managed to kill two champion packs at once with this build, albeit with easier affixes.
Reply Quote
Shadow Power with the +Defense rune is absolutely needed for some of the Act IV bosses on Hell, just saying :)
Reply Quote
Having the same problem, fooling around with skills and such. I've got a few ideas but no hard and fast conclusions. I play usually in a group or a duo, and I refuse to give up my dual wielding.

So for me, Razor Disc Chakram really does the most damage consistently without a massive hatred drain. To combat that though, there's Bola vs. Grenades for generating hatred. I was never good at math, but you've got 35% chance to stun with 130%w damage vs. 25% stun with 3x 95%w damage... somehow the bola seems to work better for clearing large packs. Smoke Screen is becoming invaluable vs. jailors and other bosses, but it generally seems to work with vault instead of the two being redundant. If you keep caltrops [with ^slowing rune], even though it's barely noticeable, you can take the passives which a) reduce damage of slowed enemies, and b) increase your damage to slowed enemies. I can't seem to get out of the habit, so that's what I'm leaning towards. I'm also rockin the ferrets to fund some blacksmithing, but easily trade-able for a bat if hatred is still an issue. I'm sitting on a ratio of 2k dps to 15k hp... which doesn't seem to be nearly enough in either department.

brain=fried.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]