Diablo® III

My dps.... so confused.

85 Worgen Warlock
Ok, so my dps, well, I haven't a clue anymore, thought I did, but don't. I have rings and a amulet that increase damage, and emeralds in my weapons. Before you say put rubys in weapons go look at what emeralds in your 2 - 1h's does to you dps. So anyways, I am wanting to know what my dps should be at in hell mode, lvl 52, I am at 4500 without sharpshooter, with it I am at 8890, to me thats not good, because as soon as I get a crit it goes straight down to 4500 which means I may be doing around 5.5-6k on average. How the hell do I increase it further, I have been buying items left and right and getting only small incremental changes in my dps. Also I want to know if preperation - battle scars is the best to use or if I should be focusing on a differrent ability for survivability as far as that goes.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Warlock
Anyone??? No answers at all???
Reply Quote
Honestly, that is good dps for your level, most players don't even do that much, I say farm Azmodan on Nightmare or even Diablo to get better gear and level up a bit before going at Hell. That is what I am doing, because I just get walked on in the first act of hell :-p.
Reply Quote
Its all about how good your gear is.

I wouldnt be looking at your build to try and find some huge damage gain. Thats probably a little better than I was at 52 and not far behind where I am at at 55. My gear is decent not great.

Also you have to take those passive damage gains with a grain of salt. I dont really think sharpshooter is giving you 1 - 1.5k damage, but I could be wrong. If you just want to inflate that number out of combat I would use Sharpshooter, Steady Aim and Archery.

I personally use Battle Scars, but have seen others using back up plan. I considered using it myself it just seems to variable for me. When you get lucky with RNG its probably better.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Priest
People are telling you to put rubies in your weapons because they dont just provide that small flat damage, that flat damage scales with both your dexterity and your crit rating. Unless you're stacking crit, emeralds just won't even compare to rubies, period.

Also, when you're in hell/inferno mode, crit tends to fall off quickly, as you are then relying on critting to actually down anything. When you don't crit, you do next to nothing in dps. Higher sustained dps tends to work better.

To really increase your dps, first and foremost, ensure that your weapons are the best possible weapons you can find/buy for your level. Demon Hunters absolutely REQUIRE the best weapon to any dps, everything you have scales off of weapon damage, and your dexterity percentage boost to damage is based off of your base weapon damage as well.

Next, socket rubies. No, it does not matter that "oh, i have two 1hs and socketing emeralds gets me blah blah." No. Rubies, period. They'll up your dps a tremendous amount.

Finally, dexterity and attack speed will then follow up on those two points to really flesh it out, dex will scale your weapon damage (including your rubies) as a huge percentage boost. From there, all of your abilities are based on percent weapon damage.

I should mention that if you're in hell or inferno mode, for god's sakes, don't just stack dex and forgo vitality. Dying in 1-2 shots makes your dps 0.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Warlock
Its all about how good your gear is.

I wouldnt be looking at your build to try and find some huge damage gain. Thats probably a little better than I was at 52 and not far behind where I am at at 55. My gear is decent not great.

Also you have to take those passive damage gains with a grain of salt. I dont really think sharpshooter is giving you 1 - 1.5k damage, but I could be wrong. If you just want to inflate that number out of combat I would use Sharpshooter, Steady Aim and Archery.

I personally use Battle Scars, but have seen others using back up plan. I considered using it myself it just seems to variable for me. When you get lucky with RNG its probably better.

Well I definitely crit more, which would imply more damage, and with 218% crit damage, I would say it is giving me more damage for sure just because of the shear number of crits I am getting.
Reply Quote
Its a damage increase of course. I just think what you had it valued at might be more than it actually is. Like I said though, I really wouldnt know how exactly to value it. Just seems high.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Warlock
People are telling you to put rubies in your weapons because they dont just provide that small flat damage, that flat damage scales with both your dexterity and your crit rating. Unless you're stacking crit, emeralds just won't even compare to rubies, period.

Also, when you're in hell/inferno mode, crit tends to fall off quickly, as you are then relying on critting to actually down anything. When you don't crit, you do next to nothing in dps. Higher sustained dps tends to work better.

To really increase your dps, first and foremost, ensure that your weapons are the best possible weapons you can find/buy for your level. Demon Hunters absolutely REQUIRE the best weapon to any dps, everything you have scales off of weapon damage, and your dexterity percentage boost to damage is based off of your base weapon damage as well.

Next, socket rubies. No, it does not matter that "oh, i have two 1hs and socketing emeralds gets me blah blah." No. Rubies, period. They'll up your dps a tremendous amount.

Finally, dexterity and attack speed will then follow up on those two points to really flesh it out, dex will scale your weapon damage (including your rubies) as a huge percentage boost. From there, all of your abilities are based on percent weapon damage.

I should mention that if you're in hell or inferno mode, for god's sakes, don't just stack dex and forgo vitality. Dying in 1-2 shots makes your dps 0.

Being an !@# like this guy won't get you anywhere, I HAD rubies in my weapons, I PUT emeralds in them and my dps went up by roughly 1k
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Warlock
Anymore suggestions??? I just feel that it isn't enough, Idk why.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Warlock
Anymore suggestions??? I just feel that it isn't enough, Idk why.
Reply Quote

05/19/2012 12:00 AMPosted by Rashknere
Being an !@# like this guy won't get you anywhere, I HAD rubies in my weapons, I PUT emeralds in them and my dps went up by roughly 1k

05/18/2012 10:45 PMPosted by Rashknere
lvl 52, I am at 4500 without sharpshooter, with it I am at 8890

05/18/2012 11:45 PMPosted by Souljin
Unless you're stacking crit, emeralds just won't even compare to rubies, period.

Sharpshooter is, by definition, stacking crit. I strongly suggest you check your damage numbers again without Sharpshooter. For reference, I don't use emeralds in anything (frankly, no sockets) and my xbow's only modifiers are significant raw damage increases. I have ~8k DPS (without Sharpshooter) using Archery and Steady Aim.

Worst case? Go on the auction house, search for a crossbow, bow, or hand crossbow. Buy the highest DPS value you can afford.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Warlock
05/19/2012 01:16 AMPosted by Caffeine

05/19/2012 12:00 AMPosted by Rashknere

05/18/2012 10:45 PMPosted by Rashknere
lvl 52, I am at 4500 without sharpshooter, with it I am at 8890

05/18/2012 11:45 PMPosted by Souljin
Unless you're stacking crit, emeralds just won't even compare to rubies, period.

Sharpshooter is, by definition, stacking crit. I strongly suggest you check your damage numbers again without Sharpshooter. For reference, I don't use emeralds in anything (frankly, no sockets) and my xbow's only modifiers are significant raw damage increases. I have ~8k DPS (without Sharpshooter) using Archery and Steady Aim.

Worst case? Go on the auction house, search for a crossbow, bow, or hand crossbow. Buy the highest DPS value you can afford.

Thank you this is what I was looking for. So pretty much highest dps bow, i prefer dual wield just because, and stack dmg > aspd > dex, correct???
Edited by Kashnere#1608 on 5/19/2012 1:30 AM PDT
Reply Quote
05/19/2012 01:28 AMPosted by Rashknere
Thank you this is what I was looking for. So pretty much highest dps bow, i prefer dual wield just because, and stack dmg > aspd > dex, correct???

I haven't done a ton of work on the damage numbers, but napkin math says that should be your priority barring some specific circumstances. I need to do some testing around Sharpshooter and Emeralds vs. Rubies, because there's a couple of things that could be at work generating the numbers.
Reply Quote

No. It didn't.
Reply Quote
Im still at level 33 and at 1100 dps, but from what i learned with the game already...in my opnion, go for rubbies in your weapons, and in the other gears go for emeralds or amethysts, try to balance them, i had to learn it the hard way, i had over 2k dps but i didnt stay alive long enough to deal all this damage, so u just gotta balance it, i find it really nice to have almost the same vit as dex, and pump my dps with rubies in my weapon or with as% on necklaces and stuff...
Reply Quote
I'm 52. Just hit Hell, for various reasons. I haven't done any gear grinding or purchasing on the AH, and my damage is definitely lower than that. I think I'm just over 4k. I haven't been having much trouble in hell yet, so you should be okay. I certainly wouldn't say you're behind average.
Reply Quote
so much fail.

go back to wiping on heroic ds bads.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]