Diablo® III

Dual wield help

When I try and dual wield axes or maces or whatever, I have 2 weapons both around 200 dps, wearing one with a shield gives me around 1.5k dps, now if I equip the other in the shield spot I lose -50 dps? Why is this?
Reply Quote
Stats on the shield may be higher, for example it probably has a higher dexterity increase. Or your attack speed just might drop which drops your dps.
Edited by Zeex#1940 on 5/20/2012 10:29 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Then how do some people have like 4k dps with 2 weapons that are around 250 dps?
Reply Quote
05/20/2012 10:31 PMPosted by Dose
Then how do some people have like 4k dps with 2 weapons that are around 250 dps?

Their dexterity is obviously through the roof.
Reply Quote
Well my dex is 900 and whatever weapon I try and change my shield with does less dps..
Reply Quote
Dual-wielding only gives +15% Attack Speed, and averages out the two weapons' dps. If one is stronger than the other, it's being dragged down by the other in terms of raw damage. To offset this, you want to put rubies into both weapons. Otherwise, your shield is better in almost every way.
Reply Quote
So attack gems in a weapon will help. and trying to get them as close as possible in terms of dps, or damage and attacks per second too? And even stats like dex should be similar?
Reply Quote
No, the stats on the weapon boost your character. It's only the weapon damage that's modified. From what I hear, though, rubies are factored after the two weapons' damages are averaged, which is why they boost your DPS insanely. If you don't have two capable weapons, though, a shield helps in both defense AND DPS (ironically).
Reply Quote
05/20/2012 10:41 PMPosted by Dose
Well my dex is 900 and whatever weapon I try and change my shield with does less dps..

Damage is only calculated using the average damage of both weapons dualing, not adding the two together.

Remember this formula when calculating DPS.

DPS = dex x weapon damage.

When you calculate with dual wield and with shield, it becomes apparently clearer that the shield has some insane dex boosting the DPS.
Edited by negativzero#1973 on 5/20/2012 10:50 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Ok, thanks for the info, I'll look for weapons with slots and dex then.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]