Diablo® III

Ray of frost damage seems lower than tooltip.

90 Worgen Druid
Until recently, I had been playing with Ray of Frost quite a bit...both the lower cost version and the ramp up damage version. I had been fairly happy with the damage done, but to be fair I was very well geared during my normal playthrough.

I had a friend who was already working on Hell, and when I told him I was using RoF he laughed. "The damage on that is awful!", he said. He doesn't pay attention to the tooltips. I told him that with the ramp up rune and Cold Blooded passive the damage is comparable to Archon beam (I didn't have Archon yet at that time, but I knew Arch beam was 300%). He replies "No freaking way. I'll test it right now." He then tells me that maxed out RoF seemed to do about half of what Arch beam was doing.

Later I get Archon, and test for myself. Sure enough, the 300% arch beam >>> maxed out RoF. But why? Do the tooltips lie? Is something bugged?

I then start watching the numbers that pop up off the mobs and I nuke them with RoF. They look low. I notice that I can kill things about as fast with free to cast signature spells as I can with RoF, even though the RoF tooltip *says* it does much higher damage. I also have yet to see any video of Inferno wizard play that involves RoF, even on single target fights.

So yeah...what's up with RoF?
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
*bump*
Reply Quote
Wrong you are
Reply Quote
RoFs tooltip shows its damage over 2 ticks.

It should tick at a rate that is twice your normal attack speed. Each tick costs half the tooltips arcane power cost, and deals half the tooltips damage. So basically after 2 ticks you should match the tooltip.

Some other skills work like this too with double the normal attack speed but for half tooltip damage, such as electricute and disintergrate.

I'm not sure how archon works will have to test it. Perhaps its beam ticks at the normal rate? If not its tooltip should probably show 600% to follow the rules the rest of the skills do.

Edit: If you are using the ramp up version of RoF. It's worth noting that its damage is abysmal until fully charged. It doesn't start at the usual 210% and ramp up from there, it starts MUCH lower, but will eventually reach the 280% and start dealing good damage from there. I don't like this glyph much because you have to go for at least 4-5 seconds of uninterrupted damage to beat what RoF would have dealt with any other glyph. (It only takes 1.5 seconds to fully charge, but it takes around 4-5 seconds to "make up" for the bad damage from the first couple of ticks.)

RoF with any other glyph should always beat Magic Missle however, and RoF should still be the highest sustainable single target damage of any wizard skill. However its big issue, like all these "double attack rate" skills is the lack of mobility, which is a big problem in later difficulties.
Edited by Woofles#6125 on 5/21/2012 6:30 PM PDT
Reply Quote
What I am confused about with RoF is that if you go to the skill builder and put RoF with Cold Blood Rune it shows that it reduces casting cost to 0 AP, but I notice that when I use the spell it still costs me AP. I wonder if I am understanding the spell wrong, it is mis-typed in the skill builder, or it is not working properly.
Reply Quote
05/21/2012 06:17 PMPosted by Xelloss
What I am confused about with RoF is that if you go to the skill builder and put RoF with Cold Blood Rune it shows that it reduces casting cost to 0 AP, but I notice that when I use the spell it still costs me AP. I wonder if I am understanding the spell wrong, it is mis-typed in the skill builder, or it is not working properly.

That's just a bug with the online skill builder. In game the cost is reduced to 12 Arcane Power (6 per tick), not 0.
Edited by Woofles#6125 on 5/21/2012 6:29 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]