Diablo® III

Strength vs. +Damage

Hello everyone,

I have some questions that I can't seem to find answers for that have been bugging me. Some are generic but the first one really applies to the Barbarian.

1. I have an amulet that says +4-8 damage. I compare it to another amulet that has +50 Strength. What is the formula for the +4-8 damage amulet to do more damage than adding a bunch of Strength to my Barbarian?

2. Equipment of +15 Experience ... Is it really +15 Experience per kill? Seems quite worthless when you need over 300k for level 40 and up.

3. Adding +Experience to your follower (Templar). Does that give me or him the experience.

4. Same thing with + Gold Find and + Magic Find - and does this stack on top of what I am wearing?

That is all for now.
Thanks in advance for the help!
Reply Quote
05/22/2012 03:03 PMPosted by Oscirus
2. Equipment of +15 Experience ... Is it really +15 Experience per kill? Seems quite worthless when you need over 300k for level 40 and up.

Think about it this way. Every time you run through an act, you kill probably on the order of 1000 aggros, if not more. +15 each means 15k extra exp or 5% less exp you'd need to get. If you have all your gears giving you +exp, you'd rack up quite a bit of extra exp to help you level faster. It's not apparent at first, but it adds up.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Warrior
Hey Osc,

I have no math at all to back this up, just personal experience:

+weapon damage > +strength

I have found that since I socketed my 2H with +weapon damage, I have been a non-stop killing machine.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Shaman
I believe the equation is weapon damage + damage from items then multiplied by strength and then that is multiplied by your +% from abilities. So if you're at a good strength then you can work in some damage and it'll go up more.

Secondary stats like + MF and Gf and the like on your follower grant 20% to your character of what I read is correct. I plan on doing some testing myself.

Edit* Forgot to add the for your follower part.
Edited by SSJWnstn#1992 on 5/23/2012 7:18 PM PDT
Reply Quote
1. I have an amulet that says +4-8 damage. I compare it to another amulet that has +50 Strength. What is the formula for the +4-8 damage amulet to do more damage than adding a bunch of Strength to my Barbarian?

Thanks in advance for the help!

The +dmg adds to the base damage done by your weapon. For example, if you have a sword that does 35-56 damage per swing, the +4-8 dmg mod would make that into 39-64 per swing. Your primary attribute (strength) increases a damage modifier percentage which increases this base weapon damage. I believe the formula is 1% per point of strength. Let's assume you have 400 strength:

400% dmg bonus
35-56 base weapon damage
175-280 damage per swing after strength bonus

From adding 50 more strength, you would get 193-308 per swing.
From adding 4-8 base dmg, you would get 195-320 per swing.

As you can see, once you have a healthy strength bonus going, even a small amount of extra +dmg to your base damage can make a big difference once it's multiplied by hundreds of percent.
Reply Quote
look on your character sheet for the overall damage gain from str vs. weapon dmg (or any damage-increasing attribute).
Reply Quote
+to damage is absurdly good.
get the+2-4 damage, +5% atk speed rings at lvl 6, same amulet I believe lvl 7.
By lvl 15 doing this I had a wizard doing 480 damage
Friend walked me to Act4 so I could farm Iskaru for xp.
Reply Quote
View profile
The +dmg adds to the base damage done by your weapon. For example, if you have a sword that does 35-56 damage per swing, the +4-8 dmg mod would make that into 39-64 per swing. Your primary attribute (strength) increases a damage modifier percentage which increases this base weapon damage. I believe the formula is 1% per point of strength. Let's assume you have 400 strength:

400% dmg bonus
35-56 base weapon damage
175-280 damage per swing after strength bonus

From adding 50 more strength, you would get 193-308 per swing.
From adding 4-8 base dmg, you would get 195-320 per swing.

As you can see, once you have a healthy strength bonus going, even a small amount of extra +dmg to your base damage can make a big difference once it's multiplied by hundreds of percent.
Thanks for this.

Other question what do you have to say on attack speed?

No where on character screen do I see a damage range, only the DPS #. This is problematic. So for example a 34 STR + 6% inc. attk speed ring was giving me more DPS than a right that added 70 STR but no inc attk speed. However that DPS number is only good for straight up attacking assuming 100% uptime on a MOB.

I'm assuming increased attack speed does nothing for abilities like leap, charge, revenge, etc so how do you know which would be better over all? a little bit more Str or more speed.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]