Diablo® III

So how did Tyrael make himself Human?

As I understood it Angels were not ascended humans nor were they as powerful as humans (who are really just Nephalem who have been nerfed by the worldstone) so why was Tyrael able to make himself into a Human (Nephalem) considering technically the Nephalem are far more powerful than angels and the Angels were never Nephalem.

Also aren't angels supposed to be made up of "light vibrations" or some other such nonsense?

Tyrael's whole "fall from grace" doesn't seem to really work lorewise.
Reply Quote
My only guess I can offer you is that humanity is actually the template, and being an angel or a demon is an enhancement to that template.

All angels are humanoid, and all demons worth a damn are also humanoid.

So when Tyrael actually shed his tentacles, he was shedding the light that made him a corporeal being, and was reverted to his base template, which was a hulking bald dark toned man.
Reply Quote
So what is the difference between deamons and angels? "Attitude" right? I mean Diablo is the Lord of Terror while Tyrael were the Archangel of Justice.
Different species cant mate and Demons and Angels did mate to create the Nephalem, thus they should be of the same species. Nephalems are basically just like angels and demons who can chose their own "preference". Good or Evil.
So what would happen if a Angel chose to change his "attitude" (in lack of a better word) to something less "angel-like"? Hasn't he become Nephalem?
Reply Quote
85 Undead Rogue
Logically it is very confusing. So Angels and Demons get together to make Nephalem, Nephalem in turn have their powers watered down and become Human. Tyrael rejects his angelic nature, but he has no demonic blood/essence/whatever like humans do, so why does he turn into one? I really liked that part of the story but it just doesn't make sense...
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
He's not human. He's just mortal. He still maintains some of his original power and is also a physically imposing individual. Tyrael changed his status as an angel, not what he actually is.
Edited by Dickawesome#1670 on 5/24/2012 10:58 AM PDT
Reply Quote
05/24/2012 10:56 AMPosted by Airibeth
He's not human. He's just mortal. He still maintains some of his original power and is also a physically imposing individual. Tyrael changed his status as an angel, not what he actually is.

So why did his personality become more human if he was just a mortal angel?
Reply Quote

I think he downgraded himself from "inmortal" (won't age or die from passing time) to "mortal", and since being made of light doesnt make much sense in terms of mortality he takes a human form.
Now, there is a phrase he says: "because humanity is the only way (or something along the lines)" which indirectly seems to imply he is human now. However, even in the end scene he never says he's human, he regards himself as "mortal".
Edited by Morrocker#1322 on 5/24/2012 12:49 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
05/24/2012 12:18 PMPosted by Hexxus

Maybe because he willed it to happen so he could live alongside humanity without scaring the crap out of them, with the whole not having a physical face.
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Warrior
05/24/2012 12:48 PMPosted by Morrocker

I think he downgraded himself from "inmortal" (won't age or die from passing time) to "mortal", and since being made of light doesnt make much sense in terms of mortality he takes a human form.
Now, there is a phrase he says: "because humanity is the only way (or something along the lines)" which indirectly seems to imply he is human now. However, even in the end scene he never says he's human, he regards himself as "mortal".

I think becoming mortal changed his perspective. There's a dialogue choice with him during Act III called "Guilt" that sheds some light on this

Player:
Do you feel different now that you are mortal?

Tyrael:
I will die, of course.

Player:
That is not what I meant.

Tyrael:
But that is the difference. When you are mortal, every moment is precious. Everything matters. It is exhilarating.

Have you ever heard of somebody being diagnosed with a fatal illness who then turns their life around? I imagine the transition immortal to mortal would feel very similar.
Reply Quote
When the nephalem had their powers removed they become normal humans.

I'm guessing its the same thing. When your divine/demonic powers are removed you become a normal mortal human. Bits and pieces of the nephalem are floating around in humans so bits and peices are of angels are floating around in Tyreal too, like his sword responding to him and whatever.
Reply Quote
He isn't really a human,

But is just acting like it?

Like Inarius being the prophet of the Cathedral of light.

It's probably not right, but really, it's the only plausible explanation.
Reply Quote
89 Undead Death Knight
Its a really weak point in Diablo 3's story. Either its obscenely convoluted or Blizz totally disregarded their own lore in the middle of the story. Also, the player character seems to be the only human in the world who is regaining their nephalem powers after the destruction of the world stone.
Edited by Forrix#1617 on 5/24/2012 8:24 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
05/24/2012 08:23 PMPosted by Forrix
Also, the player character seems to be the only human in the world who is regaining their nephalem powers after the destruction of the world stone.

More will likely come with time, but for now it's safe to assume the world has at least five (one representative from each playable class).
Reply Quote
was wondering the same thing, but tyrael doesn't turn into a human, he becomes mortal (but it is true that he looks like a human and he shouldn't particularly...)
Edited by Brisssz#2612 on 6/22/2012 4:37 PM PDT
Reply Quote
05/24/2012 04:38 PMPosted by Steak
They say he's human. Humans don't fall from the sky like a comet and have their memories depend on swords. He's no human.

Humans don't fall from the sky, period.

Super-powered aliens from another planet, sure, and yes, once even a war-seasoned veteran that destroyed a super advanced AI (but that one doesn't count, because he DIED), but other than that, no.
Edited by Archangel#1104 on 6/22/2012 9:27 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I like to think that he used his powers as an angel to turn himself mortal and take on a human appearance. I don't think he is 'human' but rather a mortal angel in human guise.
Reply Quote
06/23/2012 08:03 PMPosted by voL
I like to think that he used his powers as an angel to turn himself mortal and take on a human appearance. I don't think he is 'human' but rather a mortal angel in human guise.

You're right. He's not human, he's a plot device.
Reply Quote
I went back and watched the Tyrael cinematic...

Imperius yells "Sacrilege!" as Tyrael rips off his wings. My thought would be (following Canon) that Tyrael somehow absorbed darkness / evil as a part of himself, becoming nephalem like the main characters.

If nephalem are the children of angels and demons, then it would make some sort of sense that angels could choose to become mortal. In the lore, Anu was a single being until it ejected all darkness and evil from itself, creating Tathamet. Tathamet and Anu became the foundations of the High Heavens and the Burning Hells. Nephalem are more powerful than both since they are more like the original Anu than their parentage.

So it would make sense that Tyrael’s soul would not be reborn, since it had been “tainted” with the essence of “evil.”
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]