Diablo® III

3 Main Inferno Builds - Solo

From perusing this forum and my own experience, it seems that most wizards that are trying to farm/clear inferno have fallen into variations of 3 broad builds.

Blizzard Kiting

Main idea - use a combination of blizzard and venom hydra (and generally a signature spell) to kite champion packs while taking minimal damage. Other skill slots are generally taken by defensive skills such as diamond skin and energy armor.

Example - http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#blXRQO!YXd!bbabZY

Variations - Left click is very open to preference; I most often see piercing orb, lightning blast, magic missile (seeker or charged, can be combined with temporal flux passive), and even arcane orb. Magic weapon can be substituted in for teleport for more DPS.

Arcane Kiting

Main idea - use an arcane signature spell (generally magic missile) and arcane orb combined with temporal flux to kite champion packs while taking minimal damage. Usually uses venom or arcane hydra for additional damage and/or slow. Other slots taken by defensive skills.

Example - http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#acXRSO!YXU!cYabZY

Variations - MM rune can be changed to charged or split I guess. Arcane hydra can be used for more reliable slowing. Magic weapon can be swapped with teleport for an additional escape.

Critical Mass

*EDIT* - As of 5/25/12 this build has been nerfed. I haven't tested it myself but the proc rate of critical mass has been lowered for certain abilities and it sounds like this build is pretty much dead. Blue post - http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5235398345

Main idea - use critical mass passive combined with a fast AOE signature to face-tank champion packs with near-infinite diamond skin and frost nova. Popular skill combinations I've seen are spectral blades + energy twister or living lightning + explosive blast.

Example #1 - http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#bSXhYO!Ygc!cYaccY

Example #2 - http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#WVXSYO!YgX!YYaYcY

Variations - I've seen blizzard instead of blast or twister but that seems worse. If you have an item with arcane power on crit you probably don't need prodigy.

It would be cool if we could use this thread to discuss optimizations of these builds or bring up other builds that have proven viable in inferno (preferably act 2 and later). Hopefully this will get rid of some of the "NEED A VIABLE INFERNO BUILD PLZ" threads.

EDIT - Sample builds added.
Edited by Hobbart#1572 on 5/25/2012 12:27 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I'd prefer if actual talent trees were posted, then we could generalize what the cookie cutter talent is and make adjustments as needed.
Reply Quote
I'm going to try a Critical Mass variety. Problem with the first 2 specs (I've run both) is twofold:

1) Effective damage is lower because of the kiting, aka time spent moving = time not doing damage and the hydra/blizzard isn't enough damage on its own.

2) There are a lot of times when you can't kite (champion packs, fast mobs, terrain).

So I'm going to try a facetank build. My question about living lightning is how often does it hit and what is the "optimal" amount of crit%/as% needed to allow for relative spamming (I realize you will get some bad RNG streaks and die)?

Thinking of something like this: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#bhXSYO!fga!cbaZZc
Edited by Mikhail#1367 on 5/24/2012 7:53 AM PDT
Reply Quote
you need at least 20% critical btw critical mass build dont work on immune/wall/pull
Reply Quote
I was testing this: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#bVXSYO!cgX!cYaYcb

Seemed to work for the most part. Took enemies down pretty fast, only needed frost nova a few times rather then spamming it.

Idea is to spam twisters after the initial frost nova. Living lightning is to generate crits with the twisters, also with prodigy it generates arcane power for more twisters. Could use some tweaks to make it better.
Edited by Shaidar#1939 on 5/24/2012 7:59 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I would really like to see on some video or stream actually working (i mean working vs champion packs not regular mobs) critical mass tanky build. I tried it in many varieties with 30k hp, 19k dps and 20% critical chance on Inferno act 2 at it didnt work at all for me. I always missed reuse time after some non-crit streak and die instantly, but maybe i'm doing something wrong or maybe 20% crit it's not enough (it's really hard to get much better crit chance gear for wizzard).
Edited by Lasq#2666 on 5/24/2012 8:19 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I'm using:

blizzard slow rune
venom hydra
force weapon
prismatic armor
magic missile with the more dmg rune
diamond skin crystallize

if my dps goes high enough without force weapon than I might consider to swap it with frost nova.
Reply Quote
I've used all 3 builds you suggested, and first two kiting doesn't really work in inferno(or even late hell) since mobs run faster than you do. For now, best way I see is working around with force armor + critical mass, even with the nerf.
Reply Quote
This is my Setup.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#YXRlka!YWc!ZaYYYa

I can kite with this all day.
Reply Quote
I'll edit in popular versions of each build when I get home from work.

I personally use the blizzard kiting build when soloing. I feel it's a bit more reliable than arcane kiting and I have a feeling that critical mass is going to get nerfed, so I don't want to gear around it.

I'd love to see some viable alternatives to these builds. All 3 can be extremely tedious when trying to magic find for extended amounts of time. I've yet to have any real success with anything other than these, though.
Reply Quote
The venom hydra/bliz build doesn't really work well in Inferno IMO

I've found that you almost always need blizz + arcande hydra / MM with temp flux i.e. 3 sources of CC. That's the build I'm currently running but the DPS is kind of EHHHH. I'm goign to try a living lightning build this weekend for act 2.

Also, what's up with the lack of teleport in Inferno it's honestly the best OH S**T button IMO. Bind to mouse 2 and GG.
Reply Quote
05/24/2012 09:11 AMPosted by V0latility
The venom hydra/bliz build doesn't really work well in Inferno IMO

Get some increased movement speed on boots and it will be better.
Reply Quote
05/24/2012 10:41 AMPosted by TheFool
Get some increased movement speed on boots and it will be better

this. I don't know why people dont want 12% movement speed. maybe it's because I'm a D2 player but I always always value that over any other stat for boots.

not hard to get int/vit/run boots.
Edited by LANCELOT3#1665 on 5/24/2012 10:46 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Uh, the kite blizzard/venom build works extremely easy in Act 1. Not sure about Act 2 throughout though. Make sure you have diamond prism and teleport (to get away from jailers, wallers, vortex, etc.).
Reply Quote
This is my Setup.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#YXRlka!YWc!ZaYYYa

I can kite with this all day.

Can you tell us how you play? I found meteor to be unreliable with fast mobs and although I really like the skill, I had to give up on it.

What do you people think about different armors? After I got some gear with resistances in Act 1 I stopped using force armor and changed to prismatic. I would really like to use storm armor with scramble/ice armor with chilling aura or ice reflect (anyone found a use for frozen storm yet? =P)
Reply Quote

What do you people think about different armors? After I got some gear with resistances in Act 1 I stopped using force armor and changed to prismatic. I would really like to use storm armor with scramble/ice armor with chilling aura or ice reflect (anyone found a use for frozen storm yet? =P)

I saw a few people post 'frost builds' with ice armor. The logic is to go full cold skills (blizzard, frost hydra, frost nova) Cold blooded passive instead of glass cannon.
Edited by TheFool#1721 on 5/24/2012 12:20 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I love the idea of a Fire mage. Does anyone have a successful fire mage build for inferno?
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Warlock
I've been using the blizz kiting method with venom hydras,and it seems to be working fine in inferno act 1...but that's supposed to be easy anyhow.

I want to try this crit mass build I heard about ,but don't know too much about it except that diamond skin is up most of the time due to lightning or whatever.

Also that you'll need 20% crit,and that blizz might nerf it...lol
Reply Quote
I've also been using the blizz/venom method. Venom doesn't seem to be as effective for me because nothing sits in the pools anymore.

Does the 2 seconds with temporal flux actually last 2 seconds in Inferno? I had been considering toying around with an arcane build, but I haven't heard much feedback on them yet.
Reply Quote
I've also been using the blizz/venom method. Venom doesn't seem to be as effective for me because nothing sits in the pools anymore.

Does the 2 seconds with temporal flux actually last 2 seconds in Inferno? I had been considering toying around with an arcane build, but I haven't heard much feedback on them yet.

That's precisely why. To make the venom hydras effective you're going to need to spam something like MM with temp flux. That's why MM with seeker rune is pretty awesome.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]