Diablo® III

Hack Refund

(Locked)

My refund is being processed, thank you blizzard. And if you all are correct, and it is the players fault for being hacked (and SMS authentication / Dial In Authentication is useless to prevent it), then congratulations to the hackers for orchestrating the worlds most efficient high profile hack / exploit against an online game that I have ever seen. Great hack! Take responsibility and collect your glory, because whoever claims this one will enjoy a pretty high profile.
Edited by RockyMtnHi#1411 on 5/25/2012 7:25 PM PDT
Cheers to that, friend. I'm sure they will have it all fixed in the next couple of days and you will all be able to enjoy what is actually a pretty great game. As for me, I am formally disenfranchising myself from all things Blizzard on general principle of the response I received. I'm sure my absence from all things Blizzard is no loss, and that D3 will survive and thrive, but I hope that a dev, pr person, or interested party sees the response and learns from it. I can't do business with them after being treated how I was. I will, of course defer from specific details so as not to get any of them in trouble, and wish them all, and the players, the best.

Later Blizzard.
- Technical Support
View profile
Umm.. The Dial in Authenticator has been noted for a long time by Blues to be "not so great" (also posted as not applicable to D3l) and the SMS protect is not an authenticator at all. I am afraid you did not attach a viable secondary security method to your account :/ Best of luck to you in whatever game you opt to play.
05/25/2012 07:44 PMPosted by MissCheetah
Umm.. The Dial in Authenticator has been noted for a long time by Blues to be "not so great" (also posted as not applicable to D3l) and the SMS protect is not an authenticator at all. I am afraid you did not attach a viable secondary security method to your account :/ Best of luck to you in whatever game you opt to play.

Yes, I know..the first two options for authentication are useless. I got them a couple of days before the game came out, at a time where Blizzard neglected to inform us of this. Like thousands of others, I was fooled into thinking 2 of 3 methods would be sufficient.

That is the 'it's our fault for getting hacked' argument I have been hearing all day. You let me know what other game requires you to buy a 6$ authenticator in order to be safe, otherwise we're sol and passwords have no effect, until then Diablo 3 is a free-for-all with thousands of accounts being compromised if you don't have the key. Nothing about that seems flawed? Anyways, I digress, enjoy your game :)
Support Forum Agent
The "hacking" ("compromising" is probably a better word, since no real "hacking" is going on) being seen in D3 is no different than what World of Warcraft players have been seeing for five years or so. The sad thing is, if no one bought game currency (gold, credits, whatever) from these third-party companies, then essentially no account compromises would be occurring. Compromises not done by gold selling companies are very rare indeed. They strip one player to sell to another, because it's much more efficient than "farming" gold. They still farm some of course, but they do it purely with compromised accounts.

Unfortunately, these compromisers make a lot of money off of the practice (because players buy gold) and so they have a lot of resources to use to try to get your password from you directly, or through your computer. Some of their poorly translated phishing e-mails may be laughable, but their trojans, infected websites, etc. are not funny at all.

If you have the physical or mobile authenticator (both of which major banks use and charge $30+ for) the chances of you being compromised are very, very small. I've personally examined the MSInfo files of nearly all of the handful of WoW players who have actually been compromised through an authenticator, and the sheer number of backdoor programs and other malware on their systems has been mind boggling. Probably not coincidentally, these same people were also running a disturbing number of file-sharing and download programs, including ones which are commonly known to not be safe.

Again, compromising game accounts is a big business in some countries. They have people on their payroll who spread false rumors of "hacked through my authenticator" just to try to discourage people from using them. We charge $6.50 for the physical authenticator, because that's exactly what it costs us to make them. The mobile one is free because we don't have to pay a factory to build them. Use them, and enjoy your gaming without someone mucking with your stuff.
Edited by Kaltonis on 5/26/2012 10:18 AM PDT
- Technical Support
View profile
*cheers* for Kaltonis. That was very well said and a great summary of the past several years of gold farmer crime ring activity.
The authenticators my bank hands out are completely f.r.e.e. If you knew about this issue, why didn't you stress the importance of authenticators more? *sigh*

05/25/2012 08:13 PMPosted by Kaltonis
I've personally examined the MSInfo files of nearly all of the handful of people who have truly been compromised through an authenticator, and the sheer number of backdoor programs and other malware on their systems has been mind boggling.

That is, however, rather hilarious.
Anyways, apparently high-level accounts are also being sold. That's just a rumour I heard though.
So, all in all, i have to own a smartphone to secure the 60$ that i paid for? I don't quite get it, not everyone has smartphones and i don't personally live in the USA, what can i do? buy a smartphone then?

What is the concrete cause of the hackings? I can't believe that there are so much cases, i highly doubt most of those can be attributed to the victim's downloading apps and stuff.
Probably not coincidentally, these same people were also running a disturbing number of file-sharing and download programs, including ones which are commonly known to not be safe.

Great response, but I could have done without the insinuations, it's more than a "handful" of people, and you are essentially saying that we "handful" are probably downloading through P2P or using unsafe download programs which is both disingenuous and again, refusing to take responsibility by blaming your players.
Edited by RockyMtnHi#1411 on 5/25/2012 8:51 PM PDT
The authenticators my bank hands out are completely f.r.e.e. If you knew about this issue, why didn't you stress the importance of authenticators more? *sigh*

I've personally examined the MSInfo files of nearly all of the handful of people who have truly been compromised through an authenticator, and the sheer number of backdoor programs and other malware on their systems has been mind boggling.

That is, however, rather hilarious.
Anyways, apparently high-level accounts are also being sold. That's just a rumour I heard though.

You mean the big notification icon they give you when you make an account isn't enough? Or the fact that they have multiple parts of the battle.net site which bring it up?
I don't buy gold or items. I don't run unsafe programs. I bought a new computer exclusively for D3. I have the authenticator. I have Norton Bad@ss edition and scan daily. I dont click links. I don't read spam email. I don't download questionable content. I don't buy anything from 3rd parties.

I got hacked 2 days ago. How'd that happen, bliz?
LOL really blizzard? How far into denial are you going to dig yourself? Everyone I know IRL has been hacked. People that normally dont even game at all. Two of them, this is their first game by Blizzard. They arent very computer literate, so all they do is log in and play with me and others. They have all been hacked. No 3rd party software, no buying gold. I havent bought any gold, and I was hacked also. I've been around computers my whole life, so I know how to avoid keyloggers, and phishing emails.

The servers have been compromised, or there is an exploit. Time to man up and admit it.
Edited by Velislide#1114 on 5/25/2012 9:47 PM PDT
The "hacking" ("compromising" is probably a better word, since no real "hacking" is going on) being seen in D3 is no different than what World of Warcraft players have been seeing for five years or so. The sad thing is, if no one bought game currency (gold, credits, whatever) from these third-party companies, then essentially no account compromises would be occurring. Compromises not done by gold selling companies are very rare indeed. They strip one player to sell to another, because it's much more efficient than "farming" gold. They still farm some of course, but they do it purely with compromised accounts.

Unfortunately, these compromisers make a lot of money off of the practice (because players buy gold) and so they have a lot of resources to use to try to get your password from you directly, or through your computer. Some of their poorly translated phishing e-mails may be laughable, but their trojans, infected websites, etc. are not funny at all.

If you have the physical or mobile authenticator (both of which major banks use and charge $30+ for) the chances of you being compromised are very, very small. I've personally examined the MSInfo files of nearly all of the handful of people who have truly been compromised through an authenticator, and the sheer number of backdoor programs and other malware on their systems has been mind boggling. Probably not coincidentally, these same people were also running a disturbing number of file-sharing and download programs, including ones which are commonly known to not be safe.

Again, compromising game accounts is a big business in some countries. They have people on their payroll who spread false rumors of "hacked through my authenticator" just to try to discourage people from using them. We charge $6.50 for the physical authenticator, because that's exactly what it costs us to make them. The mobile one is free because we don't have to pay a factory to build them. Use them, and enjoy your gaming without someone mucking with your stuff.

Does anyone have any idea where the compromised data is being obtained? I visit very few websites these days (just a select few...) and I've definitely never entered my bnet info onto any other website, nor answered any emails that ask for information. A long time ago my WoW account (I took a temporary account to test the game) apparently had some funky activity, but this was almost a year ago. Still not sure how they got the account information. But nothing's happened during my SC2 play all the time since. At any rate I've added an authenticator and have changed my password and have scanned my system for malware/loggers/viruses etc. So far so good... just seems odd that this thing is so widespread.
I have an authenticator. I was hacked. I don't buy gold or items from 4rd parties (or anyone). I don't click strange links or read spam. I don't have any file sharing software on my pc. My PC is brand new, with great antivirus.

Excuses pls?
People are losing control of their own characters, during public games. Thousands of people are.

Lol, thousands of people are all getting keylogged while playing Diablo 3??? My god, Blizz Support dept. is really lacking apparently. Anyone can figure this out. Just from what I've seen first hand, I know 100% for a fact it has nothing to do with keyloggers. Sure some people are getting keylogged, but a vast majority of the people being hacked currently, are having their accounts compromised via exploits.
Edited by Velislide#1114 on 5/25/2012 9:53 PM PDT
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]