Diablo® III

Hack Refund

(Locked)

I have played a few games recently where if you login from another computer or IP address it asks you additional security questions. Is there a reason why an additional security feature like this does not exist for D3 (or WoW for that matter)?

If you are playing from the same IP, then you wouldn't get asked this question, (no ability to key log it) and if someone tries to access your account from another IP it will ask them something they probably haven't been able to key log yet...
If you have an authenticator, you wouldn't need that.
Alaric
People like you are what is wrong with this COUNTRY, you fail to take responsibility for yourself and anything in your life, and you whine and cry to the authorities when something goes wrong, and you expect them to fix it, because somehow it's not your fault.

Grow up, learn how to secure your information. Stop expecting everyone else to spoon feed you the info, and most importantly, move on and treat YOU getting hacked as a learning experience.

Nope, customers are always right, its never our problem if your game is so lame vulnerable. How come other games can protect their customers and minimize this fiasco ( i've never seen rampant hacking on other games such as this ). And hell they're even FREE TO PLAY. So many have spent real money on this and they deserve answers and actions. Security is basically included on a game design, dun tell me those game designers are all that stupid? I think the game was made that way to cater RMT(real money trading), A 3 day old game and i see a bot spamming global chat selling gold? cmon thats soo lame vulnerable.

quoting because this is the sort of stuff I am talking about. Someone who doesn't bother to even check to

so you're admitting that the security sucks so bad that i have to be in a cleanroom and an isolated computer to be hack free?

I am not admitting to anything I don't expressly say. I am telling you the facts:

You didn't secure your information properly, and you thought you could come to the forums to kick and scream because you thought everyone would be behind. Not once have I seen you say that it COULD be on your end, and what steps you have taken to secure you account. Only that you feel that it's all Blizzard's fault you got hacked.
05/25/2012 08:13 PMPosted by Kaltonis
The sad thing is, if no one bought game currency (gold, credits, whatever) from these third-party companies, then essentially no account compromises would be occurring. Compromises not done by gold selling companies are very rare indeed. They strip one player to sell to another, because it's much more efficient than "farming" gold. They still farm some of course, but they do it purely with compromised accounts.

The truly sad thing is, if Blizzard actually managed to deliver on the Real Money Auction House then that might not even be an issue. Conveniently, you seemed to have left that part out.
The "hacking" ("compromising" is probably a better word, since no real "hacking" is going on) being seen in D3 is no different than what World of Warcraft players have been seeing for five years or so. The sad thing is, if no one bought game currency (gold, credits, whatever) from these third-party companies, then essentially no account compromises would be occurring. Compromises not done by gold selling companies are very rare indeed. They strip one player to sell to another, because it's much more efficient than "farming" gold. They still farm some of course, but they do it purely with compromised accounts.

THE SAD THING IS YOU THINK ITS RIGHT TO BLAME YOUR CUSTOMERS. Hey guess who buys and sells gold? OH LOOK, BLIZZARD DOES. You guys gave even more incentive for these people to steal gold, but go ahead and put the blame on us. It's disgusting really. Plenty of people have claimed to have never visited such websites but you as a Blizzard employee are telling us for a fact that this wouldn't be happening otherwise. You should lose your job because you're so full of !@#$ it's making me sick.
Edited by CptnCrunch#1337 on 5/27/2012 10:56 AM PDT
its your NortonBad@$$ edition

that is one of the most overprised, hacked up chopped up, unreliable pieces of software in the world, Norton is one of the most crooked companies in the world, and thrives of the masses of idiots out there, they pay hackers to mess up there clients computers, so you have to buy more from them, they pay hackers more to write software, than most other anti-virus companies make in a year.

signed
Former norton employee
05/27/2012 10:16 AMPosted by Alaric
You didn't secure your information properly, and you thought you could come to the forums to kick and scream because you thought everyone would be behind. Not once have I seen you say that it COULD be on your end, and what steps you have taken to secure you account. Only that you feel that it's all Blizzard's fault you got hacked.

Nope im just stating facts and comparing it with other MMOs. You keep pointing that my pc aint secure but take a look at the game, i never seen a 3 day old game having a bot shouting on global selling gold,..showing everyone how rampant RMT is and at the same time so many complaints bombards the forums and tech support sections. I've never seen this on other MMOs like STO( Star Trek Online ) and SWOTOR( Star Wars The Old Republic ),..etc. Others may say nobody plays them but they have very high MAUs. I've been playing in my room for years and never had a single problem up until now with D3. I wouldn't whine if i had hack probs with other games. <--- this is very simple to understand.
90 Blood Elf Hunter
05/27/2012 10:19 AMPosted by GosoxJ
The sad thing is, if no one bought game currency (gold, credits, whatever) from these third-party companies, then essentially no account compromises would be occurring. Compromises not done by gold selling companies are very rare indeed. They strip one player to sell to another, because it's much more efficient than "farming" gold. They still farm some of course, but they do it purely with compromised accounts.

The truly sad thing is, if Blizzard actually managed to deliver on the Real Money Auction House then that might not even be an issue. Conveniently, you seemed to have left that part out.

A RMAH wouldn't change the gold farming industry. Gold farmers will simply sell for cheaper than the going price of the RMAH considering Blizzard's cut.
The "hacking" ("compromising" is probably a better word, since no real "hacking" is going on) being seen in D3 is no different than what World of Warcraft players have been seeing for five years or so. The sad thing is, if no one bought game currency (gold, credits, whatever) from these third-party companies, then essentially no account compromises would be occurring. Compromises not done by gold selling companies are very rare indeed. They strip one player to sell to another, because it's much more efficient than "farming" gold. They still farm some of course, but they do it purely with compromised accounts.

Unfortunately, these compromisers make a lot of money off of the practice (because players buy gold) and so they have a lot of resources to use to try to get your password from you directly, or through your computer. Some of their poorly translated phishing e-mails may be laughable, but their trojans, infected websites, etc. are not funny at all.

If you have the physical or mobile authenticator (both of which major banks use and charge $30+ for) the chances of you being compromised are very, very small. I've personally examined the MSInfo files of nearly all of the handful of WoW players who have actually been compromised through an authenticator, and the sheer number of backdoor programs and other malware on their systems has been mind boggling. Probably not coincidentally, these same people were also running a disturbing number of file-sharing and download programs, including ones which are commonly known to not be safe.

Again, compromising game accounts is a big business in some countries. They have people on their payroll who spread false rumors of "hacked through my authenticator" just to try to discourage people from using them. We charge $6.50 for the physical authenticator, because that's exactly what it costs us to make them. The mobile one is free because we don't have to pay a factory to build them. Use them, and enjoy your gaming without someone mucking with your stuff.

I was hacked, and its looking like it came from an old account compromise a few months after I stopped playing my WoW guest pass. I definitely didn't buy any gold though, or answer any phishing emails prior to quitting WoW.... my account was somehow compromised a few months later. I'm not sure how they got my username... but they probably bruteforced my password (can't think of another way as I don't deal with third party sites and I'm pretty dilligent with using antivirus software that's fully up to date).

I have no evidence to suggest that D3 servers have been compromised, it seems like these hackers got account info a while back and simply went to town with it now in the wake of the RMAH.

I just hope Blizzard can see my situation and help me overturn my banning so I can get my account back and play this game, because I definitely won't be spending any more money on Blizzard products if they just turn around and take my 60 bucks without at least helping me through the process of getting back into the game.
I have had an authenticator since it came out. I went on a trip and left it at home accidentally, so I called my wife and had her read me the code so I could remove the authenticator and play Diablo for a couple days until I came home.

I traveled for one day and got home to find that my characters have been stripped naked and all my gold is gone.

I went literally 2 days with no authenticator.

How does something like this happen so fast? I don't go to any websites besides news and here. There must be some kind of weak security that someone has found and is taking advantage of a bunch of people.
...but they probably bruteforced my password (can't think of another way as I don't deal with third party sites and I'm pretty dilligent with using antivirus software that's fully up to date).

I highly doubt it. Blizzard has proven that they are no experts in security, but brute force attacks to a server is extremely obvious and takes a lot of time. Even Blizzard would notice this and do something. If only for the reason that it would lag out their authentication servers.

And we know there haven't been any issues with people logging in since the game came out. Wait, what?
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]