Diablo® III

Hack Refund

(Locked)

As much as it sucks to have your account compromised because you were being stupid, stop blaming Blizzard. My account was compromised, I know it was my fault. I submitted a ticket with as much detail as I could and now I'm leveling an alt while waiting for an email from Blizz about restoration. Take responsibility for your own failures instead of trying to blame someone else, seriously.
05/26/2012 09:46 AMPosted by zach
As much as it sucks to have your account compromised because you were being stupid, stop blaming Blizzard. My account was compromised, I know it was my fault. I submitted a ticket with as much detail as I could and now I'm leveling an alt while waiting for an email from Blizz about restoration. Take responsibility for your own failures instead of trying to blame someone else, seriously.

Another person who doesn't understand the point of people getting two of the three 'authenticators' only to be told POST-LAUNCH that the two they had would not work. What are you people not understanding is wrong about that?
Edited by RockyMtnHi#1411 on 5/26/2012 9:50 AM PDT
05/26/2012 09:46 AMPosted by zach

Soo what did you do that was your fault? Just out of curosity...did you find a virus, phishing email, gave out pw to people, or let someone else use your computer to play the game?
05/26/2012 09:51 AMPosted by Tharengore

Soo what did you do that was your fault? Just out of curosity...did you find a virus, phishing email, gave out pw to people, or let someone else use your computer to play the game?

If you mean me, I made the mistake of thinking the 'authenticators' that were labeled as 'authenticators' were actually 'authenticators'. As it turns out, two of the items i got with that were labeled as authenticators are not authenticators, or the blue name is lying, because I most certainly have had two of the three active since pre-launch. (I know, post-launch they came out and said dial-up is not relevant to D3 and SMS flat out doesn't work, my bad :) )
05/26/2012 09:56 AMPosted by Daltin

Sorry for not being more specific on that. The hacks I was referring to were from the last five years of WoW compromises, not the current D3 compromises. None of the D3 compromises that we've checked have actually had authenticators, despite their claims.

It's ok man, I fended them off while you were attempting to enjoy your Memorial Day Weekend :)

You're a real hero, fanboy :)
100 Undead Rogue
I don't buy gold or items. I don't run unsafe programs. I bought a new computer exclusively for D3. I have the authenticator. I have Norton Bad@ss edition and scan daily. I dont click links. I don't read spam email. I don't download questionable content. I don't buy anything from 3rd parties.

I got hacked 2 days ago. How'd that happen, bliz?

If you're using Norton. You're doing it wrong. I used to think Norton was worth a damn just because you have to pay for it, but time and again it misses stuff Avast and the like catch.
05/26/2012 09:36 AMPosted by Kaltonis
The post on the main page said that NONE of the hacking victims had authenticators. Are you saying that there were hacked accounts with an authenticator? If that is the case maybe you should have the security post updated to avoid BLATANTLY LYING to your customers.

Sorry for not being more specific on that. The hacks I was referring to were from the last five years of WoW compromises, not the current D3 compromises. None of the D3 compromises that we've checked have actually had authenticators, despite their claims.

Not to belabor the point, Kaltonis, but are you saying that I am lying when I say I downloaded two of the three Authenticators? I am claiming that your contention that no one has had authenticors is a lie, as I have had two of them this entire time. Please feel free to confirm this. Otherwise, you are saying that the other two items listed as authenticators pre-launch do not have that function, and that the one we actually are required to have to play safely is the Mobile Application / 6$ Dongle.

Of course, you will not answer those questions specifically due to the legal ramifications of those answers.
Edited by RockyMtnHi#1411 on 5/26/2012 10:02 AM PDT
What's that brown stuff on your nose Daltin?

Oh and zach, you realize that any progress you make on your alt will be lost once they roll back your account right?
Edited by Lydok#1815 on 5/26/2012 10:02 AM PDT
100 Night Elf Rogue
even microsofts free anti virus blocks more then norton lol
Support Forum Agent
I don't buy gold or items. I don't run unsafe programs. I bought a new computer exclusively for D3. I have the authenticator. I have Norton Bad@ss edition and scan daily. I dont click links. I don't read spam email. I don't download questionable content. I don't buy anything from 3rd parties.

I just checked your account, and it has never had either the physical or mobile authenticator attached to it. You did have the dial-in authenticator attached, but it's level of security is far below the physical and mobile. It's meant to be used in addition to the main authenticator, not in place of.

Hmmmmm.

I'll bring up the idea of renaming the dial-in authenticator to my management. At the very least, maybe remove "authenticator" from its name so that people do not get it confused with the main authenticator (physical or mobile).

The authenticators my bank hands out are completely f.r.e.e.

That's definitely cool. You should commend your bank then as some of them charge waaaaaaay too much in my opinion.

What is the concrete cause of the hackings? I can't believe that there are so much cases, i highly doubt most of those can be attributed to the victim's downloading apps and stuff.

Well, the cause is people desiring a shortcut in their games by buying gold. If you mean the technical cause, as I mentioned previously the gold selling companies use a vast array of methods. A good friend of mine is a long time network admin (and a very good one at that), who had decided to not use an authenticator because he'd never had any security issues with his computer over the years. Well, an Adobe Flash vulnerability popped up a couple years ago, and he procrastinated applying the update by a whole week. As you can probably guess by the fact that I'm relating this anecdote, his WoW account was compromised and stripped because of that one week window.

There's absolutely nothing shameful about getting compromised, these companies are good at what they do. Heck, the former head of Blizzard Customer Service had his account compromised. It's because of how devious and high-tech the gold-selling companies have gotten that we implemented the physical and mobile authenticators. We can't physically go to everyone's computer and make it safe, so we've provided a tool that does it for you.

I've been a computer tech for a long time, and I've never had a single malicious security breach on any of my computers that I'm aware of, but I attached one of the very first batches of physical authenticators to my account. Why? Because no matter how good I am, sooner or later they were going to get me. But now, they can't.
Edited by Kaltonis on 5/26/2012 10:05 AM PDT
Ah well, I'nm out anyhow. Enjoy
Edited by RockyMtnHi#1411 on 5/26/2012 10:36 AM PDT
100 Night Elf Rogue
I've been waiting for authenticators to be apart of the Special Editions, but they don't seem to be heading that way =/
Wow Kaltonis, your level of smug is pretty staggering. You might want to reconsider implying that people with compromised accounts are buying gold with real money.
100 Night Elf Rogue
Lydok that is the number 1 issue of why this does happen. New game, Lazy as hell people. ALOT of people are too lazy, unskilled, or plain dont care to work to get their items. If people could, They would be botting everything they do.

Ill openly Admit back in Vanilla wow days i used to know tons of people who would buy gold, even at their expensive prices back then, just to buy their mounts, friends mounts etc. People are massively lazy and im sure some of them still buy it. But i know they HAVE been hacked also a few times.
Edited by JMac#1865 on 5/26/2012 10:13 AM PDT
I'm well aware of the gold selling/buying market. I've been playing MMOs since Ultima Online. Making smug blanket statements as a blue is poor form.

I just checked your account, and it has never had either the physical or mobile authenticator attached to it. You did have the dial-in authenticator attached, but it's level of security is far below the physical and mobile. It's meant to be used in addition to the main authenticator, not in place of.

That still didnt awnser how he, my self (hell my computer hasnt been turned on in nearly a week and my account was hacked yesterday), and others who's computers are clean. Are getting our accounts hacked. It is looking as if a group of hackers has found a back door in battle.net.

Right now those free to play asian games are looking a lot more secure and safer then Diablo 3.

I assumed, as many people do and against my better judgment, that my account had been inactive for so long I could continue its use with the password I've been using for the last 7 years and no authenticator. I knew better, and I ignored it. I now have the mobile authenticator, my new 12 character password, and am merely awaiting my restoration.
Edited by zach#1868 on 5/26/2012 10:24 AM PDT
05/26/2012 10:22 AMPosted by zach

I assumed, as many people do and against my better judgment, that my account had been inactive for so long I could continue its use with the password I've been using for the last 7 years and no authenticator. I knew better, and I ignored it. I now have the mobile authenticator, my new 12 character password, and am merely awaiting my restoration.

Wait...really thats what you are claiming is your fault?? A password that has been secure for you for nearly 7 years?? Yea thats really not your fault for getting hacked, if your system is clean, and you didnt do anything but just play a game. Then yea not your fault but blizzards instead.

Last time I ever saw a massive game get a bunch of accounts hacked like this. They didnt say oh it was all end user. It ended up a unknown back door was on their end, they apologized to the gamers, explained what happened, help restore things for the gamers, gave away a few things, and fixed it. That was years and years ago, when companys were more willing to take blame and fix it then pass it off.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]