Diablo® III

Hungering Arrow vs Entangling Shot vs Bola

I am currently using Hungering Arrow with the Shatter Shot rune simply for the decent damage and shattering effect. I would probably use Entangling Shot with the Justice is Served rune for bosses though I'm not sure.

I would like to hear other peoples opinions and what primary attack they think is good and why.
Reply Quote
I liked all 3 but have settled on hungering arrow/ devouring for the larger crits, bola was nice for AOE but ball lightning / nether does the AOE I need (or Rain of Vengence). Entangling I hear is worthless in inferno because slow doesnt do much so i dropped that too--
Reply Quote
Devouring arrow has the higest dps.

Use entangling shot if you want the slow.

I've never found a use for bola shot ever, there are much better aoe abilities.
Reply Quote
Hungering arrow w/ Devouring is best when you need to check around corners and has super high dps. Personally I can't go back to anything else.
Reply Quote
I use Devour/Tendril for everything.

When it comes to a fast boss like Diablo, I use Heavy Burden.
Reply Quote
Evasive Fire/Covering Fire rocks, try it out. Never seen anyone using it, though. People don't like 125% damage across 3 mobs, 4 Hatred returned, instant hit (no missile), goes through Waller walls and more? Their loss :p
Reply Quote
Entangling shot if you are using a Xbow, Probably hungering if you are using something else.

Bola's only use is if you are rofling around with hot pursuit for some reason and you need a hatred generating aoe.
Reply Quote
Bola shot with the 1.5 stun is a kinda usefull cc...
Reply Quote
05/29/2012 09:27 AMPosted by Mantigore
Bola shot with the 1.5 stun is a kinda usefull cc...

Is only one target stun.

I use hungering arrow with the 50% penetration rune, i mix up with the slow electric arrows so when they reach the target i can spam the hungering arrow at the same time, crits! crits everywhere!
Edited by DrakeTremere#1852 on 5/29/2012 9:37 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Hungering cause I can fire at stuff offscreen. Same way I played my amazon in D2.
Reply Quote
I would like to be able to use entangling shot but 75% weapon damage to a single target is just way way too low.
Reply Quote
05/29/2012 09:26 AMPosted by Barghest
Evasive Fire/Covering Fire rocks, try it out. Never seen anyone using it, though. People don't like 125% damage across 3 mobs, 4 Hatred returned, instant hit (no missile), goes through Waller walls and more? Their loss :p

I was using it too but it drains too much discipline and has low damage (even with 3 shoots) compared to Hungering Arrow.

I used it mainly because of the backflip then I figured I had other abilities to use as escape and I could use a more damage oriented one as Hatred generator.
Reply Quote
Hm, a fair few people seem to be using the devouring rune, I guess I'll check it out when the server comes back up.

Entangling shot if you are using a Xbow, Probably hungering if you are using something else.

Bola's only use is if you are rofling around with hot pursuit for some reason and you need a hatred generating aoe.

I am using a xbow, though it was only just today that I decided to test it out, I was using a bow previously.
Seeing as I NT spam a lot during bosses, would Entangling Shot with Hatred regen be more beneficial or go for the extra damage with Devouring.
Reply Quote
entangling shot with Justice is served rune, and have lots of atk speed...

it works well for me
Reply Quote
05/29/2012 09:37 AMPosted by illundreal
I would like to be able to use entangling shot but 75% weapon damage to a single target is just way way too low.

it deals damage to all affected targets.
Reply Quote

I've never found a use for bola shot ever

Just wow.

So when bitter pill was the only ability that let you perma SS it was useless?

So when Volotile explosives does good damage, is sufficient AoE damage to take out trash in inferno and let you regen hate quickly at the same time it is still useless?

So when imminent doom is statistically one of the best auto-attacks in the game it is still useless?

Please, stop misleading people and just tell the truth. You don't like Bola because you don't use Bola, simple. The drawback for bola is in the delay, other than that it is statistically better than the other abilities and frees up space on your skillbar where AoE abilities would have been. Now you get to add mark of death or some !@#$ and use all your rage for Impale. Works for me in act 3 inferno at least.
Edited by NodeUK#1260 on 5/29/2012 9:51 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I continually keep going back to try bola and convince myself it is worth using.

It isn't.

The damage is lackluster, the AOE is subpar when there is Multishot/fire at will, Elemental arrow w/any rune, or rain of arrows, and it the delay kills it further. When I get the poison bola (i'm only 32 right now) i'll try it again as maybe instant poison damage will be better.

Entangling shot I barely use. My elemetal arrow/frost takes care of slowing down the enemy as does my caltrops/torturous ground.

I currently use hungering arrow/cinders at the moment. Love it, the hungering arrow is a GREAT primary power.

Current:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#aRYXTQ!ceX!ZZZZZa
Reply Quote

it deals damage to all affected targets.

It does, but i'm talking about single target DPS. Such as a boss. Hungering strike/devouring arrow deals over 200% weapon damage on average to a single target where as entangling would only deal 75%
Edited by illundreal#1735 on 5/29/2012 9:50 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Troll Priest
2h xbow/quiver
Hungering Arrow/Devour
You can claim all your builds are BiS.
They're not(:
Reply Quote
Devouring arrow has the highest dps.

Use entangling shot if you want the slow.

I've never found a use for bola shot ever, there are much better aoe abilities.

^this
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]