Diablo® III

Do Bosses drop random items or specific ones?

I don't mean specific in saying that when you kill a boss it will ALWAYS drop one item. I mean like the way WoW works. For example... if I kill the Skeleton King, does he just drop completely random items, or is it more structured? Like below.

Item One - 50% Chance to drop
Item Two - 20%
Item Three - 20%
Item Four - 10%
... etc....

Just wondering if I should be hunting specific bosses/elites to try and get items like people do in WoW.
Reply Quote
thats a good question.. wondering this same thing. Is it worth doing re-runs on bosses to get a certain item?
Reply Quote
Yea, should I be doing Hard Skeleton King over and over if I want a certain weapon?
Reply Quote
I have been looking for this all day ha ha.
Reply Quote
I'm not sure about D3, but in D2 bosses could drop just about any item, and the individual chance for a boss to drop a specific item is very small, as in 1% or less. Your best bet to get a certain item is going to be trading. Just keep plowing through the game and you might get lucky, or you might find some other item you can trade for it.
Reply Quote
Pretty sure loot tables are randomized, but I could be wrong...
Reply Quote
05/16/2012 09:51 AMPosted by Deaded
Pretty sure loot tables are randomized, but I could be wrong...
You are right
Reply Quote
In D2 you could get any item from any enemy (corresponding to difficulty obviously), but some bosses/unique monsters, had a tendency to drop certain items more often, which was more due to the monster level corresponding to the item level. They did say somewhere though that your odds are actually better in D3 if you don't just do runs and actually play through full areas/whole game over and over again. Time to go looting everywhere!
Reply Quote
Just to confirm, the last three posters have it right. Bosses don't have specific loot tables. All monsters of the same level pull from the same loot table, but champs, bosses, etc have a higher chance of dropping higher quality.
Edited by Fyrefly#1330 on 5/16/2012 10:27 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
it's not like WoW, you will not have to hunt a monster to get your belt. however there will always be some monster who have better odds for a certain item.

only nilathik, baal and diablo can drop a pestilent sc in D2LoD patch 1.10+
(175 poision/6 second preffix) which ever you could run fastest

there are had been tranches in d2, where you could only get the elite grade item types of certain qlvl from mlvl+ monsters..the chances for drops to roll Hhigher Treasure class tapered so that getting them was more selective
for instance, how many monsters in d2 dropped hydra bows??? ...and those who didn't spawn a failed unique version with 3x durability?

so yes, there might be some of this going on, in inferno most likely
Edited by zoid#1554 on 5/16/2012 10:31 AM PDT
Reply Quote
So basically, the best possible drop rate will be on the Act 4 boss (dunno who it is, don't spoil)?
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Druid
05/16/2012 10:32 AMPosted by Daco
So basically, the best possible drop rate will be on the Act 4 boss (dunno who it is, don't spoil)?
Maybe, maybe not. There may be particular bosses that have great magic item drop rates that are, for example, half way through act 3 or so. However, in general, yeah, higher level and/or difficulty translates to better loot.
Reply Quote
The most frustrating thing about this game is the loot. Like many others I suppose I decided the end game bosses would drop better items (not going to spoil for those who aren't there yet by naming anything). But alas I was wrong on the approach to the last boss a unique item dropped in normal mode. This had me excited for the possible loot options after downing said boss all that dropped was a crappy 1hand crossbow (magic) but still lame in comparison to the drop from the champion mob 5minutes before hand.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
In addition to drops from bosses being randomized, I believe that boss kills in normal - hell mode are set so that your first kill of that boss has a higher chance of Rare quality items. Beyond the first kill of that boss your chances of rare quality items are normalized along the lines of other rare and elite mobs.

Please correct me if this is not the case.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]