Diablo® III

LOL, other dev's trolling Blizzard.

05/16/2012 10:02 AMPosted by Burzghash
You can always tell when you've struck a nerve, because the tardcores come out to defend their baby :)

So when you see people say things that are grossly incorrect you just say nothing? Yea, I can see you not having the courage or intelligence to do that.

05/16/2012 10:02 AMPosted by Burzghash
Why don't you give us something to really laugh about and tell us the subscriber numbers and names of the other 4?

Sure no problem.

WoW: 10 million+
swtor: 1.3 million
rift: 600,000
EVE: 500,000

Those rift numbers are old and swtor is bleeding subscribers in 400,000 chunks so there you have it. The humble spreadsheet press 1 simulator contending with hundred million dollar triple A mmo's.
Edited by latentpoison#1504 on 5/16/2012 10:12 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Undead Warlock
05/16/2012 09:23 AMPosted by Maconha
Sorry, I can find the fun in playing 3d interactive Microsoft Excel in space

its more of 3d interactive ms paint
Reply Quote
Yes! Because Rift is SO much fun!
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Rogue
Cute. Well played, EVE.
Reply Quote
lots of space hate up in here.
Reply Quote
Honestly I'm not surprised EVE is getting so much flak on here. It's an extremely complex game that rides on putting you through hours, days, even weeks of boring, tedious garbage, but then has high moments where for 5 minutes you'll get the most intense adrenaline rush of your life.

Blizz games rely on a constant stream of mini "achievements" like leveling up and getting new gear in order to make the player believe that they are always advancing, always building up their character, never "wasting" any time doing menial work since the player always knows that there's -some- kind of reward they'll get.

In exchange, none of Blizz's games will ever have the heart-pounding excitement that a high-risk, high-stakes, high-reward skirmish in space can provide. Meanwhile EVE is still the only mmo around that has been -always- growing ever since it was originally created, so it must be doing something right.

Just an FYI for all the EVE hate.
Reply Quote
It's pretty objective if you ask me. In EVE you might have a battle with tens of thousands of dollars of real life money on the line. On top of that you may be commanding up to a thousand players, and if you !@#$ up, you take the blame or all the glory that would come with a win.

If someone out there thinks killing NPC bosses or no-stakes pvp is more exciting, then I pity them.
Reply Quote
05/16/2012 11:20 AMPosted by SMurk

I don't hate space games, I just dislike the fact that other than a reasonably good economy simulation, there's little else there, and that's just not enough for me.

Everything that isn't the economics part of eve just isn't all that compelling.
Reply Quote
05/16/2012 11:44 AMPosted by mescyn

I don't hate space games, I just dislike the fact that other than a reasonably good economy simulation, there's little else there, and that's just not enough for me.

Everything that isn't the economics part of eve just isn't all that compelling.

Honestly the only other thing that makes it worth looking it is the politics and actual SOCIAL aspect, something you actually rarely see in MMOs. Space-alliances don't get big out of coincidence, and the people who lead them tend to actually be very good at leading. If they aren't able to influence pilots to join their fleets or defend their space, then the alliance is simply destroyed. There's a lot of natural selection that goes on in that regard, and when someone makes a mistake it's extremely entertaining to see who takes advantage of it.

I did a wee bit of diplomat work when I played in a certain unnamed alliance, and it can be really interesting having to delegate with other people or trying to negotiate a treaty. Probably the most interesting part is doing diplomat work between alliances is when you have to negotiate with an all-russian or all-hungarian alliance that doesn't have any english speakers.

One other interesting aspect of the game is command. Unlike leadership (one big running joke is that most leaders dont even log into the game because all leadership work is metagame), fleet commanders are right there on the front line. It's important for other players to be able to trust the fleet commander, or else you might have pilots on the field not trusting the commander and not following his commands if he issues an order that players might think is risky. On top of that you have the strategy metagame, which involves positioning, pre-battle logistics in the form of warp safes, dealing with spies from other alliances, and releasing false information to make enemies act in a way which will hurt them in the long run.

The game is only what you make of it, and TBH 99% of what makes EVE great is actually metagame that isn't written in any manual or guide.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
EvE's a great game, but it's certainly not for everyone, especially PvP avoiders.
Reply Quote
Honestly I'm not surprised EVE is getting so much flak on here. It's an extremely complex game that rides on putting you through hours, days, even weeks of boring, tedious garbage, but then has high moments where for 5 minutes you'll get the most intense adrenaline rush of your life.

Blizz games rely on a constant stream of mini "achievements" like leveling up and getting new gear in order to make the player believe that they are always advancing, always building up their character, never "wasting" any time doing menial work since the player always knows that there's -some- kind of reward they'll get.

In exchange, none of Blizz's games will ever have the heart-pounding excitement that a high-risk, high-stakes, high-reward skirmish in space can provide. Meanwhile EVE is still the only mmo around that has been -always- growing ever since it was originally created, so it must be doing something right.

Just an FYI for all the EVE hate.

Starcraft 2 would like to have a word with you. Eve may be right for some people, but I'm not the person who would spend the majority of the time playing "tedious garbage" to get a 5 min adrenaline rush. That being said, Kudos to the devs for mocking Blizzard
Reply Quote
I thought we were comparing MMOs but yeah it would be hard to not give SC2 credit for creating the same reaction.
Reply Quote
"Starcraft 2 would like to have a word with you. Eve may be right for some people, but I'm not the person who would spend the majority of the time playing "tedious garbage" to get a 5 min adrenaline rush. That being said, Kudos to the devs for mocking Blizzard"

So, all the wind chime hanging for 5-35 mins at the start of a starcraft match is?
Edited by Malice#1583 on 5/16/2012 2:51 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
ITT Lots of tears over a hilarious and well-played joke, and the subsequent delusional ramblings of the generic Blizzard fan boys. Carry on (tomorrow) since all of your bed times are coming up soon. Good news though, Summer is coming up, and mother is OK with you staying up just a few hours later, but make sure to ask Dad before inviting friends over.
Reply Quote
That's the thing about EVE, you play other games while you play.
Reply Quote
People seem to think that EVE is Spreadsheets in space. They aren't seeing through to its true purpose: TEAR COLLECTION GATEWAY 3000

No game lets you completely ruin someones day/game/entire character like EVE. And the best part is you can do it anytime you want, and anywhere if you have the right bank roll.
Reply Quote
Hilarious
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]