Diablo® III

Is my CPU bottlenecking my GPU?

2 Orc Rogue
I have an Intel core 2 quad Q8200 2.3 GHz with 6GB DDR2 and my GPU is a Gigabyte Radeon HD 7750 880Mhz. I'm playing D3 fine on high settings but sometimes I'm getting like an FPS hiccup. I wonder if my CPU is bottlenecking my GPU?
Reply Quote
Since your card is fine the CPU must be the issue the Core 2 archetecture is old now and the clock speed seems slow, but nothing too major right now.
Reply Quote
C2Q should not bottleneck, theres nothing in Diablo that is that cpu intensive I think. Just because the core2 architecture is old does not mean its can't handle the load. Easy way to check is decrease the resolution to something really low like 720p and check again. If it still hiccups, it is not the graphics card's problem.
Reply Quote
I have an intel core i7, GTX 560, and 8GB of memory, and I am noticing framerate drops as well. I have chalked it up to server issues and lag so far (which is particularly frustrating since I am playing single player).
I used the in game settings to limit the framerate to 60, which fraps confirms.

Have you been checking your framerate with fraps or similar? I am curious to hear if other people have been having issues like this as well.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
Turned off anti-virus here to test and wasn't having anymore hiccups here. Not sure if it is scanning the network traffic or everything that the game has in memory but making an exception not to scan the application helped a ton. On another note check your hard drive's specs, if it is from the same time you got your processor the seek time or cache on it may be the bottleneck.
Reply Quote
05/17/2012 06:39 AMPosted by Nerdherder
Turned off anti-virus here to test and wasn't having anymore hiccups here. Not sure if it is scanning the network traffic or everything that the game has in memory but making an exception not to scan the application helped a ton. On another note check your hard drive's specs, if it is from the same time you got your processor the seek time or cache on it may be the bottleneck.

I am having the same issues as you all, my specs should be perfectly fine for this game (fx4100, radeon 6850, 8 gb ddr3 1600 ram). And I get hiccups as well. It is very noticable when I first log on, then it calms down after a few minutes of gaming, and then again on some encounters. I shouldnt be having these issues, I have been playing single player, and on a 15 mb/s internet.. hard wired. I am going to try your suggestion with the turning off the anti-virus when I get home.
Edited by k0nawo1v#1199 on 5/17/2012 10:28 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
For anyone limiting their frame rate to 60fps, I am running a 560ti 448cores classified and I had stuttering when I tried doing that. Putting the slider at 150fps foreground fixed the issue entirely. Even though I only have a 60hz monitor, the gameplay was noticeably smoother.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]