Diablo® III

Monk - OP spec (Defensive, tank)

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#abgTXh!YZd!aaZZaa

I just got into act IV and it was extremely easy. For me personally, it is getting to be progressively easier, which i find a bit disappointing.

Spec summary.
CORE skill. TRANSCENDENCE. To put it bluntly this skill makes you pretty much invincible because any spirit consuming ability will heal you for a decent amount. Furthermore, your mantra does not have a cool-down, so a heal is always available (i very rarely find myself out of spirit).

Fists of Thunder (Thunderclap) - Mobility is a must, as you will often find yourself in need of getting out of fire or poison quickly. In my opinion dash is not worth it, and Fists of Thunder is a very potent single target damage skill and one of the most potent spirit generators.

Deadly Reach (Piercing Trident) - A very potent AOE damager that generates spirit? What more can you ask for?

Serenity (Reap What is Sown) - 'Oh !@#$' button #1. If you are out of spirit and in trouble, pop this one and start spamming Fists of thunder (single target) or deadly reach (multiple targets)

Seven-Sided strike (Several-Sided Strike) - Extreme AOE damage plus decent heals due to Transcendence. I rarely find a need to use it, but when i pop it - everything ends up dead (including champs).

Breath of Heaven (Circle of Scorn) - 'Oh %^-*' button #2. If spirit is high and health is low.. it's the one to use.

Mantra of Evasion (Hard Target) - Believe it or not i use this one as a heal very often (no cool down). In addition it makes sense to use it before the mantra effect ends due to a 3 second 15% dodge chance.

Additional passives:
Resolve - makes things easier.
The guardian path - makes things easier.

You need to stack the following:
Dexterity (auctions are overflowing with these items and you can specify 50+ Dexterity requirement in your queries); Cheap and effective.
+ Damage jewels (OP) and + Damage items; If you have a weapon with a socket and your jeweler is level 4 or up, you can double your DPS. SICK!
+ Attack speed; Will significantly improve your DPS.
Vitality (you do need some)

Pick fast weapons and dual wield, with your defensive abilities and non-stop heals you do need a shield.
Reply Quote
You're talking about normal difficulty...
A variety of builds can work in normal.
Wait for NM before you post anything. Seriously, you get owned. And yes, I'm talking about NM not Hell or Inferno...
Reply Quote
Of course i am talking about normal (this is lev 30 build). It is just extremely overpowered for normal mode (more so than any over build in my opinion).

On a side note, i don't have to wait for anything prior to posting and i do hope that i will get 'owned' in NM! :p
Reply Quote
i prefer straight eva myself. i can maintain 75% eva rate at all times atm at level 34. I terrorize everything in NM except for a few "fire chain, Jailers" or w/e. just use 15% dual wield passive, with 15% mantra, 15% extra for Spamming your mantra every three seconds, 10% from fists of thunder's eva rune. the other 20% comes from your dex which you should try to maximize. you can also use the 30% of your crit passive rune for a few extra %age if you really want. this build is extremely effective and flexible in its 2-4 skills
Reply Quote
Any build do just fine at normal.

I think your build is good. Having some oh !@#$ button is never wrong. Let's see at nightmare.
Reply Quote
Well you open this thread up with

"I just got into act IV and it was extremely easy. For me personally, it is getting to be progressively easier, which i find a bit disappointing."

what do you expect people to write? ...Wait till you get nightmare then you will see its not "progressively easier"

Get ready to "progressively" die more and more lol...melee starts getting stomped on some parts.
Edited by jaybutts#1953 on 5/17/2012 12:46 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Yea, act 4 was pretty easy. Diablo was probably the easiest boss for my monk in normal because of the spells you unlock by the time you get there.

Nightmare is pretty tough though.
Edited by Brian#1449 on 5/17/2012 12:50 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Damage Spec with a single heal and an immunity with no hard dmg reduction glyphs and mass dodge bonuses and one oddly placed dmg reduction passive.

There is a lot wrong with that build because it literally lacks a ton of synergy. The only reason it works for "tanking" is because you are playing normal mode. There is nothing tanky about it.
Edited by Meiu#1263 on 5/17/2012 3:11 AM PDT
Reply Quote
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUBIIsJihTY

we not op.....
Edited by Urizen#1367 on 5/17/2012 3:18 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I think this build is way too defensive. If you look at it most of the build is about evasion and armor. The only attacks are the generators and and seven sided strike which have cool downs. (15-30 seconds is a good amount of time IMO)

That said sure it might be easy when you don't die.
Reply Quote
Yeah in NM mode right now.... easy mode... things just take longer to kill :). So, this spec is viable
Reply Quote
I really do want to substitute one of the spirit generators with exploding palm... but both of the spirit generators still do great damage and provide much better utility, so i am sticking with my spec.
Reply Quote
the way to "tank" on a monk in hell + is to use earth ally and franctically try to keep him up with mantra of healing whill you widdle away at the elite enemies that have millions of health it seems

no one can tank in hell+
Reply Quote
Not to be rude but Normal is easy as hell (excuse the pun) but now I am in NM act I. I am getting owned my normal mobs.
Reply Quote
87 Pandaren Warrior
05/16/2012 11:32 PMPosted by SwickHobo
i prefer straight eva myself. i can maintain 75% eva rate at all times atm at level 34. I terrorize everything in NM except for a few "fire chain, Jailers" or w/e. just use 15% dual wield passive, with 15% mantra, 15% extra for Spamming your mantra every three seconds, 10% from fists of thunder's eva rune. the other 20% comes from your dex which you should try to maximize. you can also use the 30% of your crit passive rune for a few extra %age if you really want. this build is extremely effective and flexible in its 2-4 skills

This isnt true...
Reply Quote
wait till you get in hell bro. Normal was like preschool level
Reply Quote
Let's see you in hell...
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
I am currently lvl 54 Monk in Hell Act 2. I normally dungeon with 2-4 people and sometimes solo. My perfect build is good, and actually if I switch anything I find myself dying more. This is suitable solo or party, though you have to switch for certain bosses depnding on their abilities.

Fist of Thunder- Thunderclap (main spirit generator)
Lashing Tail Kick- Vulture Claw Kick (High damage plus knockback when your getting owned or need to move elites out of poison)
Breath of Heaven- Any Rune (Main heal, use on CD)
Sweeping Wind- Blade Storm (Spirit Generator and good damage, I attack chests/features to keep it up)
Blinding Flash- Blinding Echo (Main interrupt, use on cool-down)
Mantra of Healing- Personal Preference
Transcendence-
Chant of Resonance-
Last Passive Personal Preference, I use Seize the Initiative

Been using this since beginning NM when I was spam dying. The only things that kill me now are stacks of fire/poison on group and lasers. Spam Healing Mantra and you can tank in fire/poison plus keep party up.
Reply Quote
CAN WE PLEASE STOP HAVING TOPICS ABOUT NORMAL DIFFICULTY?

every skill build in normal is overpowered. this is so frustrating going through all these threads trying to find useful information only to have these children post about normal difficulty trash...
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]