Diablo® III

Currently useless in NM

Hey guys,

I feel like I'm definitely doing something wrong. I can't do anything in nightmare. I get killed by anything in about 3 seconds, and my attacks do little to no damage. Basically just a burden on the rest of the team I'm playing with while I watch my friends who are barbs, sorcs, and DH glide through with ease. Whats the deal? Anyone have a build that would help me out?

So far I'm using Poison darts x3 on left click, dire bats on right click, and then grasp of the dead, soul harvest(+health), gary, and acid rain on my action bar.
Reply Quote
Post your build with runes, man.
Reply Quote
What's your equipment like? That's at least as important as your skills.
Reply Quote
u need tanky equipment, WD is a squishymishy
Reply Quote
Why have acid cloud and fire bats? both are aoe mana dumps, i would change that to honored guest, spirit walk is a great spell...

Also what are your passives?
Edited by hypz#1849 on 5/17/2012 10:57 AM PDT
Reply Quote
What's killing you? Running in for the Harvest? Or just "Whatever wanders over to you"?
Have you geared for +Vit?
What passives are you using?
Describe your typical approach to monsters.
With Grasp/Cloud combo, and Darts and Bats, it seems odd that you're letting things get close enough to hit you.
What Runes are you using?
Might have to drop Harvest for a better panic button. Emergency heal is nice to have on it, but if you're using it early on to get INT, chances are it won't be available to save your skin.
Edited by n3rullz#1198 on 5/17/2012 11:04 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Definitely could be your equipment, check the Auction House you would be surprised how cheap some items are.

Here is the build I used to run through NM on my WD.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#acUdRT!YWV!aaZaaZ

When getting to bosses I would actually swap out Soul Harvest for summoning dogs with life link depending on the scenario. But for grinding through trash, that is what I used from start to finish.

If you have some +int/+dmg and a fast attacking weapon (say 1.50 attacks per second) you will notice how fast the darts are casted for single target DPS.

For groups of trash I would normally spend some mana first, then regain it with Spirit Walk and Soul Harvest so it usually went something like this.

Hex -> Bat -> Bat -> Bat -> Spirit Walk into mobs -> Soul Harvest and run out of mobs -> continue to use Bat's (rinse and repeat accordingly).

Having Hex with the ability to heal it can heal you and your garg and turning elites into chickens is great for damage mitigation.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Priest
Why dont people have a defensive cooldown like spirit walk on their bars i dont get it. Also play with someone who can tank like a barb or monk. Your most lilely undergeared. It may sound like well what you want me to do about that but hpnestly stop playing alone. I ran with 4peeps last night we didnt all wipe anywhere and one shotted diablo without knowing the fight. Also im entering nm at level 32 whats your level like ? Consider getting gear and grinding down a couple more levels. Try out new spells with runes. Do what will work for you not to die and keep progression going.
Reply Quote
Having the same armor and upgrading my weapon only gave my spells a lot of added damage, try looking for a weapon with high damage(it doesn't have to be a ceremonial knife). If you're low on vitality choose skills that give you mobility, Spirit Walk, Haunt, Locust Swarm. Firebats does a lot of damage but it's channeled and you do no damage when you're dead.

When I started Nightmare I dropped zombie dogs because they were dying too fast, and eventually I dropped my Gargantuan too. Just run around spamming Dots and instant nukes
Reply Quote
Quick question, how exactly is everyone able to use 2 terror spells or 2 voodoo spells? Tried everything but I'm forced to use 1 of each type of spell. Thanks.
Reply Quote
Holy !@#$, thank you.
Reply Quote
Woah didn't see all these replies. Here's a link to the build when I posted (didn't know I could do this)

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#acZdTi!Zb!aaaZaa

Gear is all rare (yellow) stuff, with a lot of +intelligence and +vit. Don't think theres really anyway to post it without typing it all out lol.
Edited by PRODNUTS#1181 on 5/17/2012 12:24 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
IDC
Remember to check AH for a good weapon with high damage. Intel is pretty useless if your overall weapon damage suck. Also, WD is really really fragile, so you need to avoid getting hit TOTALLY. Using tons of pots to survive and spirit walking.
Reply Quote
05/17/2012 11:21 AMPosted by Nohealshere
I ran with 4peeps last night we didnt all wipe anywhere and one shotted diablo without knowing the fight.

Killed on 1st attempt is vastly different than "one shotted"
Reply Quote
05/17/2012 12:42 PMPosted by Koop
I ran with 4peeps last night we didnt all wipe anywhere and one shotted diablo without knowing the fight.

Killed on 1st attempt is vastly different than "one shotted"

lol
Reply Quote
Personally, gear aside, I have found that it is most effective to use the Jungle Fortitude and Bad Medicine passives, which greatly increases your survivability. Also, the pets help out even though they die a lot. If you use these passives with the Rabid Dogs and keep using the Poison Dart skill, that will make your Bad Medicine really effective. Also, Soul Harvest with the Siphon rune helps if you use it as a defensive skill. When enemies start surrounding you, hit Soul Harvest to gain back health and try to run away.
Reply Quote
Definitely could be your equipment, check the Auction House you would be surprised how cheap some items are.

Here is the build I used to run through NM on my WD.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#acUdRT!YWV!aaZaaZ

When getting to bosses I would actually swap out Soul Harvest for summoning dogs with life link depending on the scenario. But for grinding through trash, that is what I used from start to finish.

If you have some +int/+dmg and a fast attacking weapon (say 1.50 attacks per second) you will notice how fast the darts are casted for single target DPS.

For groups of trash I would normally spend some mana first, then regain it with Spirit Walk and Soul Harvest so it usually went something like this.

Hex -> Bat -> Bat -> Bat -> Spirit Walk into mobs -> Soul Harvest and run out of mobs -> continue to use Bat's (rinse and repeat accordingly).

Having Hex with the ability to heal it can heal you and your garg and turning elites into chickens is great for damage mitigation.

i tried this and it helped me a lot. if you have problems follow his build. thanks for sharing
Reply Quote
Currently level 40 in Act 2 NM.. Havent Died once.. Having Zero issue in Solo play.

My Build 'Guide' (Its Petless)

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5235393769
Reply Quote
I must be doing something wrong as well, I was lvl 27 and getting 1 hit by Belial and at 31(In Normal) had the same problem with Azmodan... http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#hZUdiT!ZbV!aaZZaZ

My items are mainly Intellect + Vitality and Witch Doctor specified, when soloing I have the Templar as my Merc. I know I could build my defense up with a shield, etc but what is the point of Witch Doctor specified items at that point?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]