Diablo® III

About Leah in later expansions.... (spoilers)

90 Night Elf Druid
i'm not sure if i even want to keep playing on nightmare knowing that i'll just be too slow again.
Reply Quote
Wait, I thought we killed "Legion" not Diablo. ;-)
Reply Quote
I was hoping Imperius would be a boss, something about the "Eternal Conflict" ending just seems like a reason he would start yet another war (Remember, he is the aspect of Valor, not peace) against the Nephlam. You'd think he'd want revenge for us stealing his Worldstone.
Reply Quote
She should not be dead. She should be corrupt (to make story more hopeless and make Kerrigan like character) or her soul should be rescue at some point.
Reply Quote
05/22/2012 10:05 AMPosted by Evy
I've never beaten a video game before and felt like I actually failed before. I was really hoping for someway to save Leah or at least let her soul find rest. Having someone that I become so attached to be destroyed like that because I was too slow, then having no way to save them. I felt like I failed.

I think that what they did could have been executed well and it wouldn't have felt so bad. Give us some indication that Leah's spirit is doing her best to hold Diablo back so we can kill him (gives us an explanation as for why he's so easy to defeat). Then, after the fight, have a cutscene similar to the end of Diablo 1 where you remove the soulstone, Diablo turns back into a deceased Leah, give her a funeral, and simply acknowledge to the player that while we were victorious, the cost was high, before going into all this triumphant BS Tyrael was trying to sell us on.

The most disappointing part of the ending is seeing Leah ignored. I don't think there's a single person who played this game who didn't expect to see something happen with regards to her in the ending, whether we save her, whether she died, or anything in between. The fact that she just went unmentioned as such a major part of the game was so unsatisfying. What's even more disturbing is the thought that not only is she deceased, but her soul will be horribly tormented until we can release her in an expansion...

I'm looking forward to seeing her. As a player I wish I could have saved her, but I don't think we can save her down the line because I think it would just cheapen it. What they did felt like a swing and a miss, but how can they possibly undo this mistake without trivializing death in the entire Diablo universe? Play the half-demon card?
Reply Quote
I really wanted to see Leah fighting from within. A confused looked on Diablo's face when he only destroys the door and not the entire wall. Going in for the killing blow on Imperious and his claw stops short. They could have played taht up a lot more.

I do have to agree that in parts the writing for parts of the game is incredible weak. Cliche can be really good but in this case, I didn't like. Diablo is shoved off the edge of High Heaven. Weak. I would have angels binding him up chains and sealed in a box of pure light. If you wanted to go for the super corny, sealed in the arch itself to always keep the demons inside subjagated(sp). It would have been more satisfing ending. Then for the Expansion, you have a gaurd find Leah laying on the ground curled up in a ball naked(tasteful hiding her "features").

Even though they tossed him over the edge, it would have been a little funny to see him lose his form and turn back into Leah watching her fall to her death would have been much more tragic. ... Thats a little emo of me. Anyways. Point being, they could have done a great deal more with the death and disposing of Diablo/Leah.
Reply Quote
Well it wouldn't be too hard to bring Leah back. Maybe at the time Adria put Diablo into Leah's body, she spirited Leah's soul off somewhere. I mean, Adria might be pure evil, but she was Leah's mother.
Reply Quote
first off Leah is probably the worst character ever created...but excluding that she was completely taken over by Diablo and her body was destroyed...how in the hell would you want her to come back? and I love how you idiots care more about Leah than Aidan coming back, both of which had identical scenarios
Reply Quote
05/22/2012 08:40 PMPosted by Decebal
first off Leah is probably the worst character ever created...but excluding that she was completely taken over by Diablo and her body was destroyed...how in the hell would you want her to come back? and I love how you idiots care more about Leah than Aidan coming back, both of which had identical scenarios
Thanks for playing.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
There's a few reasons why I'm irritated by this whole development.

The first is, regardless of your opinion of Leah, she was the 'main character' of Diablo3. Your character is not concrete, your class and gender are not set in stone. You're not playing Link in Hyrule, you're playing a malliable archtype. In fact, given Diablo's history, its most likely you aren't you, but rather the lore is one of every class has teamed up and fought their way through the story (Diablo1's canon is Aiden, Blood Raven and the Summoner all fought together. D2's canon is a Necro, Barb, Amazon, Assassin, Druid, Paladin and Sorcerer all banded together). So this means that in the end, the story shifts dramatically. Leah is no longer in the story as of Act 4. This is a bait and switch.

The second is that the game makes it perfectly clear after the game's end there is no Leah present. Leah is gone and, going by much of the converations you have, she fails to even exist. Her soul hasn't passed on, it hasn't stayed around in the body, it is gone. Every feeling you had for Leah, be it a sense of pity about her mother not being what she expected, the horror of betrayal, the anger at Adria using her as a tool, every laugh you had between her and Lyndon? Doesn't matter. She no longer exists. Period.

Another is the teasing that she might've been saved. Through a lot of text and implications there was reason to believe she could be saved or she doesn't exist. One or the other. But even more so was the expectation. Blizzard went full cliche over everything in this storyline, with barely a major unseen 'twist'... except the end, where the cliche is defied blatantly. There is no happy ending for Leah. There is no redemption. There is nothing. And I think that, after seeing the cliche being played out step by step, being denied that final, cheesy plot point is actually more frustrating.

And lastly, and probably one of the biggest: This makes Deckard Cain's death absolutely meaningless. Deckard was old, we get that. We figured he might die in this installment of the series. But Leah was built up, entirely, as his replacement, the character the games clung to to give a sense of continuity beyond the demons. Leah became the last Horadrim after Cain's death. She held on to his books, she was learning about them, becoming adept in magic. It was, honestly, looking like she was going to be the keystone to the series, the new Deckard. She moved beyond her childishness and was willing to put herself at risk to save Sanctuary, she matured.. but nope. In the end, she is gone. And that makes Cain's sacrifice, his belief in Leah and his legacy all crumble to nothing.

We know Leah will show up in the expansions but we don't know the extent or context. Will we rescue her? Or will she just be a flashback? A memory? An illusion like she was in Heaven?

Y'know, say what you will, Leah wasn't terrible. It was her first apperance and by the end she was starting to grow and mature. You can do worse than having your new Deckard be her, voiced by Jennifer Hale, voice of Femshep.
Reply Quote
05/22/2012 08:50 PMPosted by Steel
Thanks for playing.

Thanks for passive aggressive responses through the internet

and @Melyria I don't see your point? You are seriously looking at this story as if it should be some kid's fairy tale or some WoW quest line. THIS is Diablo, it is a story of how terrible and unforgiving life is, if you felt something for a character and they took it away from you, that is EXACTLY how it should feel. And like I said prior, there is also no mention of Aidan "living" or having any existance after diablo possessed him fully.

Did you want deckard cain to die flying in with pony's of horadric death and save the day using his old man powers? he died in misery like every one of us will, that's Diablo, if you don't like it please go back to grinding boars in WoW and have a happy ending...

Now to clarify I think the writing staff on this iteration was absolutely terrible, so many plot holes, Leah was obviously just a really bad plot device (again she means nothing) and half of hte previous story is ignored/modified randomly. I don't see why we aren't discussing those issues, rather than these stupid ones...she's dead, she's dead no Res from your pally on this one Casuals, now back to Angry Birds for you
Edited by Decebal#1484 on 5/22/2012 11:43 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
05/17/2012 01:29 PMPosted by Yaos
I agree that the ending lacked closure for Leah, but overall, I think her role in the story is definitivly over. I think bringing her back in the story would be a mistake.

Cain at least got a funeral. She should have something too, specially when your character, and even your follower, are enraged about what happened to her and want to avenge her at all costs. My char even said at one point she would "not rest until her soul was saved" or something like that.

Even if they plan to use her as a plot point for an expa, some hint could have been good.
Reply Quote
05/22/2012 11:40 PMPosted by Uggdrassil
I agree that the ending lacked closure for Leah, but overall, I think her role in the story is definitivly over. I think bringing her back in the story would be a mistake.

Cain at least got a funeral. She should have something too, specially when your character, and even your follower, are enraged about what happened to her and want to avenge her at all costs. My char even said at one point she would "not rest until her soul was saved" or something like that.

Even if they plan to use her as a plot point for an expa, some hint could have been good.

holy crap, she gets possessed by Diablo and her body is destroyed! exactly what happens to Aidan, who DIED without closure. Learn to Diablo, !@#$
Reply Quote
05/22/2012 11:46 PMPosted by Decebal

holy crap, she gets possessed by Diablo and her body is destroyed! exactly what happens to Aidan, who DIED without closure. Learn to Diablo, !@#$

Your posts are bad and you should stop.
Reply Quote
05/22/2012 11:49 PMPosted by Steel
Your posts are bad and you should stop.

your life is bad and you should stop
Reply Quote
If her spirit is alive she could also, like her father, take over the body of someone (with permission) to help the player. At the end she would leave the body and her spirit could rest in peace. In a final cutscene we would see her grave next to that of Cain. That would be a good closure
Edited by Bfler#2867 on 5/23/2012 12:13 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
05/22/2012 11:35 PMPosted by Decebal
and @Melyria I don't see your point? You are seriously looking at this story as if it should be some kid's fairy tale or some WoW quest line. THIS is Diablo, it is a story of how terrible and unforgiving life is, if you felt something for a character and they took it away from you, that is EXACTLY how it should feel. And like I said prior, there is also no mention of Aidan "living" or having any existance after diablo possessed him fully.

Because, ultimately, this is the last of the true Diablo series, as said by Blizzard. Think of Diablo 1, 2 and 3 as an act, with chapters. After Diablo 3, any stories told would be a different story set in the same world. Diablo has never been about the grim, never-good wins, horrible feeling you say it is. If you look at Diablo as a series, a single story, you'll realize how the first chapter is dark, with the second becomng brighter and the third ultimately being about the triumph of good over evil.

Diablo has always been about the story of humanity and how it will eventually defeat evil.

As for Aidan, you're right. He never got any sort of 'closure' but there is a reason for that. He was never supposed to be. He was a means to an end, he was the way for Diablo to continue his story. Leah was never supposed to be that device. But something to consider is that Aiden's story was over the moment he defeated Diablo.

Leah was the main character of the Diablo 3. And the Diablo series hasn't killed a character that key to the plot, within its own game, since ever. Marius is the closest we have to that but Marius was a framing and narration device, not a specific character that drove the story onward.

The reason Leah's outright negation comes as a 'shock' or unexpected is mentioned all the way through my post. It isn't unfounded, each reason has merit.

Did you want deckard cain to die flying in with pony's of horadric death and save the day using his old man powers? he died in misery like every one of us will, that's Diablo, if you don't like it please go back to grinding boars in WoW and have a happy ending...

Actually, I'd have prefered him die in a more plot related way. I don't have a problem with Cain being killed, his story was told and he's an old man who even knew his time was drawing to an end (if you read the Book of Cain).

Please stop comparing WoW and Diablo. Because Diablo isn't just about pain and grimdarkness. I'm sure you'd like WH40K, though you may not like the humor of how self aware it is. Diablo has been about survival. It is horror. It is grim. But at the same time, Diablo has always ended on an uplifting note.

I don't see why we aren't discussing those issues, rather than these stupid ones...she's dead, she's dead no Res from your pally on this one Casuals, now back to Angry Birds for you

And this is why I really think you don't 'get' the point of this forum. This is the story forum, wherein we discuss the story and characters and lore of this game. When push comes to shove, you're blasting anyone and everyone you can, falsely citing what you think Diablo 'means' because you hate the character.

Let me say something: If Diablo is all about pain, suffering and death, why is it that the High Heavens most certainly win the entire game (and thus series) with the help of humanity, by way of proving their worth and power? Your insistance with how Diablo is and should be goes directly against the themes and ideals put forward in this very game.
Reply Quote
Diablo has never been about the grim, never-good wins, horrible feeling you say it is. If you look at Diablo as a series, a single story, you'll realize how the first chapter is dark, with the second becomng brighter and the third ultimately being about the triumph of good over evil.

you characters in diablo 2 are implied to have died in the explosion...basically after going through ALL of that trouble they just die...in diablo 1 you get possessed, WOAH so happy, it's like the end of star wars here

Please stop comparing WoW and Diablo. Because Diablo isn't just about pain and grimdarkness. I'm sure you'd like WH40K, though you may not like the humor of how self aware it is. Diablo has been about survival. It is horror. It is grim. But at the same time, Diablo has always ended on an uplifting note.

again it's !@#$ing Diablo, and trying to say it's not grim is just...i don't even know, tell me one "happy" ending up to now? also humans aren't good, that's the whole point, they are born of angels and demons they are both just as good as they are evil. The only thing that makes humans different which has been stated many times in the diablo series is that despite all the odds they have WILL and persevere and that nothing can stop a human's soul. There is no morality or kharma in diablo past a realistic point, how many times is there a peasant that gets gutted by a monster in D3 alone

Let me say something: If Diablo is all about pain, suffering and death, why is it that the High Heavens most certainly win the entire game (and thus series) with the help of humanity, by way of proving their worth and power? Your insistance with how Diablo is and should be goes directly against the themes and ideals put forward in this very game.

I was just saying that there are far more issues that have not been discussed yet worth more, like why aren't the prime evils in the abyss...and wow I am seriously facepalming, the high heavens NEVER win, it's the never ending battle and the heavens want all of humanity dead just as much as the demons, there is no siding here past what is necessary to keep balance. the WHOLE GAME IS ABOUT BALANCE, there is no "win" and there never will be I promise you. god you seriously misinterpret everything in this game, think of it as if heaven and hell are metaphors for good and evil, humanity will never conquer either, nor fully go the path of either, it's a constant struggle to balance
Edited by Decebal#1484 on 5/23/2012 12:24 AM PDT
Reply Quote
05/22/2012 10:14 PMPosted by Melyria
The first is, regardless of your opinion of Leah, she was the 'main character' of Diablo3.

Actually, I'd argue Tyrael is the "main character" of Diablo 3. It's the story of him giving up being an angel to help mankind fight evil when heaven would not. He's the falling star; he destroyed the worldstone. Without him, the events of this game wouldn't have happened.

Tyrael is also with you virtually every step of the way. On top of that, there is a fair amount of main quest lore that talks about how Tyrael, such as how he was the decisive vote in saving mankind, how he believes mortals are the future, and his past and history with the Eternal Conflict.

Leah is certainly an important character, but she might not actually be the main focus.
Edited by Troyen#1170 on 5/23/2012 12:42 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
05/23/2012 12:23 AMPosted by Decebal
you characters in diablo 2 are implied to have died in the explosion

False. You meet a Necromancer in Act2 who is the Necromancer player-character's apprentice, who talks of his deeds in D2. In other words, you survived. And since the canon is that D2's heroes were one of every class, that means all of them likely got out, assuming they weren't killed by Baal.

again it's !@#$ing Diablo, and trying to say it's not grim is just...

I even said it was grim. In the post you quoted. Can't you read?

tell me one "happy" ending up to now?

1. The Worldstone's destruction.
2. The end of the Sin War.
3. The saving of the Sisters of the Sightless Eye
4. The saving of the Kurast survivors
5. The saving of Izual (undone in D3)
6. The destruction of the Soulstones
7. The perserverance and continuing of the Barbarians in the end of D2
8. The freeing of New Tristram, Caldaeum, Bastion Keep and ultimately the death of Diablo and the end of the Eternal Conflict

There is no morality or kharma in diablo past a realistic point, how many times is there a peasant that gets gutted by a monster in D3 alone

Lots. And you'll note that I've said nothing on the topic of karma. I said that, thematically, Leah should've been revived or gotten closure because she was Cain's replacement for the series, plus it went against the themes put into D3 as well as the cliches.

From a writing standpoint, it'd had made the most sense for Leah to come back. Or at the very least gotten some closure.

I was just saying that there are far more issues that have not been discussed yet worth more, like why aren't the prime evils in the abyss

There is an unlimited number of forum posts on this board. Obviously people disagree with you, as there are people discussing this topic. If you want, make a thread about the topics you want discussed and don't take it out on a topic/character you dislike.

and wow I am seriously facepalming, the high heavens NEVER win,

Except they did win in this final bit. The Eternal Conflict, barring Diablo/Evil's return by way of the Soulstone, has been ended effectively.

e heavens want all of humanity dead just as much as the demons, there is no siding here past what is necessary to keep balance.

Actually, in cannon, 1/5th the Angiris Council wanted humanity dead. 1/5 was undecided at the time and has since gone missing. 3/5s of the Council voted to keep humanity alive. 3/5s is very much so larger than 1/5.

god you seriously misinterpret everything in this game, think of it as if heaven and hell are metaphors for good and evil, humanity will never conquer either, nor fully go the path of either, it's a constant struggle to balance

Did you miss the part where Tyreal actually says that humanity and the angels will unite and take out evil once and for all?

Really, the Burning Hells is evil. The High Heavens are good. This is not up for debate. In a cosmic sense, they're those things. Humanity might deem Imperius 'evil' or 'bad' because he wants to wipe out humanity, which has proven has a capacity for great evil.

Humanity can be good or evil. But evil lost in D3. The angels have sided with the mortals.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]