Diablo® III

people hated Diablo II at launch as well

I don't think most people have a very good memory, and/or were not playing Diablo II back when it first came out. I was looking around the internet today, and came across a post that quoted a few of the typical responses back when Diablo II first launched. This is from a Usenet forum;

I dont mean to offend anyone's idea's about the game, but my opinion is that it is the LAMEST EXCUSE FOR A SEQUEL TO THE GAME OF THE YEAR! The original Diablo is better than this !@#$!! USEast and USWest NEVER EVER CONNECTS unless ur VERY VERY LUCKY and even then, in about 5 minutes, it says "Connection was Interrupted."

Then, what pisses me off is that I have to resort to connecting to EUROPE and when I play there (or one time on the USWest Realm), the lag is HORRIBLE. My character would be running through the woods one second and the next, it would be DEAD BECAUSE THE LAG FROZE EVERYTHING AND A MONSTER HAD KILLED ME WITHOUT GIVING ME A CHANCE TO FIGHT BACK. And it's not my computer's fault (DSL, 750 Mhz, more than enough RAM, Sound cards and Video Cards tested and works at Maximum capabilities), so don't reply flaming back about that. The graphics are worse than the original one from 1996 ( those pixels make it unproportional and the coloring is really odd).

Last, when I get my connection interrupted or leave a game, the data is NO LONGER on battle.net!! I have to start as a level 1 person all over again!! And it still won't connect! I reload it, and it gives this little blinking "typing line" (like at the edge of something u've just typed up) and then that annoying sound when sumthing locks up....WUT KIND OF CRAPPY %^-* IS THIS?? Blizzard.com doesnt even connect to allow me to post this crap on their forums..let alone see the Front Page...

~Person who wasted $49.99 on sum bull!@#$

Diablo 2 = Ultima 9?

Too many parallels between these games as far as botched support issues(the 3dfx "tilt" is the #1 issue). With all of the reports of the bugged higher difficulty levels, I'm beginning to wonder if there really is a reason to play thru the higher difficulties. I don't like the penalties on higher difficulty with losing hard-won experience points, so unless that gets fixed(probably never in order to keep the "mood" from their perspective) I don't see much for replayability value.

There's also the fact that the game had a patch almost immediately after release, which could indicate two things. Either a rushed release(which seems the most likely), or they they knew a number of issues from the stress test or beta(but could not implement them before release). HOPEFULLY(but I'm not holding my breath here) gameplay and difficulty issues will be addressed in future patches, but I have to wonder how much design work on the inevitable add-on/expansion will affect the much-needed patches(and so far the 1.02 patch is bugged, so hopefully that was just a flub and not some inadequate QA).

This will be the true test of Blizzard's commitment to quality, and will show if the "evil suit" approach(release games in a buggy state in order to assure sales) has happened to a company that so far(until Diablo 2 anyway) had quality releases.

I really enjoyed Diablo single player, and I thought even with all the talk of PK, I can at least avoid that by having a good time playing single player. Unfortunately, the design decisions have basically ruined the single player experience.

Why do I say that? You can no longer save single player games, you can only save single players *characters*.

That's why there is only a "save and exit" option, and no "save" option. Because the game isn't saved, only the character is. So it doesn't matter how far along you are in the dungeon, you can't save the game, if you "save and exit" and reload later, your character will still retain his exp points, his possessions, but you have to reclear all the dungeons all over again. What's worse, you start up in town again, and have to go all the way to where it was you were when you saved, even the town portals I opened back to town just prior to saving isn't remembered.

So essentially there is no single player game, the single player game experience is really just playing the multiplayer game by yourself.

Even so, a single sp save file would probably take up no more than 12MB (in Diablo 1, a level 16 save file takes about 3MB, and supposedly each act in D2 is the size of the original game, and there are four acts, so I leave the rest of the math to you). While I don't deny that 12MB is large, it's hardly anything compared to the game's 650MB installation requirement. Given that, even if a save file took up 50 MB it wouldn't be totally unreasonable. Furthermore, much of the data need not be stored but rather can be recreated from the seed, but Blizzard didn't do this with Diablo 1 either, perhaps to keep the loading times down.

As could arguably be said about Diablo 2 as a whole, Blizzard got lazy and did a sloppy job in this respect. The most honest and likely reason for the lack of real save games is: it was easier to just recycle the exact same code for both modes.

I hate to admit it just as much as anyone, but Blizzard's Game of the Year streak has come to an end.

People go on and on about how Diablo II was some golden era for the Action RPG genre, but in truth, it took a few years before it got to that point. Diablo III is vastly better than Diablo II after those few years. Once we get our first expansion pack, it'll be even better. People just need to relax, and learn to give it a chance. That's what everyone did with Diablo II, and learned to just accept it for what it is, and everyone enjoyed the hell out of it.
Reply Quote
agreed, pretty sure we will all like the game in a few weeks from now :)
Reply Quote
This post deserves a sticky.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Mage
I don't think it took a few years (I remember it being pretty solid about 3 months in) for D2 but point is well made about servers/bugs at launch
Reply Quote
Oh yeah, all new games have crazy amounts of complaining and trolling in the first couple weeks. Then things tend to calm down a little bit.
Reply Quote
hilarious post.

Vintage nerdrage ftw!
Reply Quote
Yeah but no they didnt.

D2 was loved from day one.

I think youre picking people with OCD as examples of D2 hate.

Yes there were bugs that wernt really fixed till 1.10 patch but the game was awesome from scratch.

Fail.

Yeah no, I can back this up with my own experiences. I picked Diablo II up day one, and was beyond frustrated with some of the design decisions, and battle.net, and how unstable it was. With enough time playing the game though, I went on to play it for nearly 10 years.
Reply Quote
in my opinion the things that blizzard got rid of were the main things that made this game fun..like distributing attributes and skills...
Reply Quote
Diablo 2 left more to the imagination. Enough said. It wasn't based strictly around "no true build" classes. Which gave more variation to possible outcomes and events. The people who didn't accept it at first fell in love with it shortly after because of all the things that could be done and the ability to create your character as you wanted.

In this game, Elective Mode isn't a -true customization-. It's swapping skills for skills. Not builds for builds, or stats for stats. And -we all- get those skills if we are that class, no matter what.

Diablo 2 was accepted due to it's dark and gritty graphics and nature on top of the complete customization of your characters skills and abilities, even if it was disliked at launch. This game, doesn't offer that.

So to compare the two, is hard, because they're almost literally two different games, story aspects aside. You don't have as much to do as you did in D2 and I feel like the Achievements they put in was a way to try to loop people around and make them think otherwise. They hoped for a distraction with that.
Edited by TwistaSyke#1956 on 5/17/2012 2:33 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Yeah but no they didnt.

D2 was loved from day one.

I think youre picking people with OCD as examples of D2 hate.

Yes there were bugs that wernt really fixed till 1.10 patch but the game was awesome from scratch.

Fail.

Because the same sub-group of ranters aren't the same people complaining about this game?

Things don't change. Gamers, especially the ones that post on forums, are predisposed to be whiny, aggravating, OCD little punks.
Reply Quote
05/17/2012 02:27 PMPosted by wonja
in my opinion the things that blizzard got rid of were the main things that made this game fun..like distributing attributes and skills...

Agreed.
Reply Quote
Yup I'm getting D3 on Friday and prolly won't play till Sunday (hanging out with friend on Saturday) so hopefully things will die down before then
Reply Quote
Sometimes when life gives you bacon, some put it on hamburgers.
Reply Quote
05/17/2012 02:30 PMPosted by Dethrunner
Sometimes when life gives you bacon, some put it on hamburgers.

As a matter of fact, I did this today for lunch.
Reply Quote
twista i agree with u 100 percent...if i could return this game i would...for me i was a big fan of d2 right from the start...this game suxs...
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]