Diablo® III

Hell Difficulty Wizards, please advise.

4 Undead Priest
Greetings, level 55 wizard here, just about done with Act 1 on Hell. The regular mobs are a cakewalk, however Rares & Champions are either a multi-death encounter or an extremely lengthy kiting job.

My build is as follows

Diamond Skin + Crystal Shell
Familiar + Arcanot
Storm Shield + Power of the Storm (Occasionally Swapped for Energy Armor)
Wave of Force + Impactful Wave
Frost Nova + Cold Snap
Disintegrate + Volatility
Blur, Astral Presence, Temporal Flux(occasionally swapped for Galvanizing Ward)

All through Nightmare I ran
Diamond Skin + Crystal Shell
Storm Shield + Power of the Storm
Magic Weapon + Force Weapon
Familiar + Sparkflint
Frost Nova + Cold Snap
Disintegrate + Volatility.
Glass Cannon, Astral Presence, Blur, or Galvanizing.

So, any tips on dealing w/ rares? I've started stacking as much int & physical resist as possible as the only damage that ever seems to reach me is physical, but it isn't really helping that much.

Stats:

Str - 149
Dex - 147
Int - 909
Vit - 381
Armor - 1310
Damage - 3801.85
Edited by Meru#1123 on 5/19/2012 2:43 AM PDT
Reply Quote
4 Undead Priest
Additionally: I feel like wizards need a stronger snare, demon hunters get 60%. our max is 35%? Fast mobs(not even w/ the Trait) just small fast mobs(spiders,etc) are extremely brutal.
Reply Quote
You seem to be spec'd to killing trash mobs which is odd since they are ridiculously easy and hardly worth mentioning.

You need to spec for killing elites. Where is your single target damage? Where is your force armor? You've got way to much AP management garbage and nothing worthwhile to spend it on against elites.

Your gear also needs an upgrade badly. Your HP is way too low for how little damage you do. If you want to keep your HP that low your DPS should be about double where it is now and it's what I would recommend along with force armor and CC. It basically allows you to lock packs down blow up one of them then run away for cooldowns and repeat for each of the pack.
Reply Quote
So I just beat nightmare and am starting on hell, my question for you is this. Why did you replace magic weapon with familiar. At this point magic weapon is adding on an additional 2.5k damage to my character and so droping it for a low power familar does not seem like a good way to go. I see in nightmare you did use magic weapon. Why did you stop using it?

I also see all the other wizards I play with have much lower vits than me, how are they surviving I seem to die in only a few hits wouldn't they get one shoted?

I still switch back and forth between diamond armor and frost thingy, diamond armor is great in a situation where the boss uses things you have to dodge cause if you miss your dodge it will take the blow that would otherwise seriously damage you.

Stats are as Follows:

Str: 200

Dex: 123

Int: 1342

Vit: 594

@Drekor Disintegrate is your single target it is by far your most damaging spell to one target. If you have a better suggestion let me know. Force armor also takes away your magic weapon which in my view is one of your best spells by far whatever build your.
running. Please don't act so superior this game has been out for a few days, don't tell me you know everything about it in a few days.

Edit: Also I assume archon is on that list that is great when you encounter elites.

So if anyone has any tips let me know.
Edited by Vipic#1593 on 5/19/2012 3:32 AM PDT
Reply Quote
4 Undead Priest
disintegrate is all-purpose.

I stopped using magic weapon for defensive items, ended up with familiar in my current build for arcane power. I've actually dropped it since I made this post, but not for magic weapon.

Archon against elites = death, in my experience atleast. even archon w/ slow time.
Reply Quote
I'm an experience inferno wizard, farming act 1 and dabbling in act 2.

Staying Alive:

Energy armor with the force armor rune = your best friend. Forget about vitality and resists, just use that. The only time you're going to run in to problems is when you find rares with reflect damage. Avoid them if possible, if not just be extremely careful. Use diamond skin with this and you're damn near invulnerable half the time. I like my diamond skin runed for prism. Using this rune with a full arcane orb lets you rock out at the start of a fight, every time you engage (talking about running back after you get your !@# whipped).

********Required for competitive damage output*********:

Magic weapon / Force Weapon is a huge boost to your damage, use that all the time.

Signature Spell:

For my signature spell, I like the attuned magic missile. It's consistent, decent single target damage, and it lets you cast more of the important spells.

The only 2 slots you can really play with:

I normally run either lightning hydra / blizzard (280% damage version) or sparkflint familiar with Arcane Orb runed for obliteration. Hydra / blizzard is safer, orb is faster. Start with hydra blizzard and start using orb after you find some gear.

Passives

glass cannon and astral presence all the time. Cold blooded if you're using the blizzard / hydra combo, prodigy or arcane dynamo for the orb.

You're going to die no matter what you do. It's just part of diablo 3. The goal is to take at least one of them with you.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
05/19/2012 03:22 AMPosted by Vipic
@Drekor Disintegrate is y9our single target it is by far your most damaging spell to one target. If you have a better suggestion let me know. Force armor also takes away your magic weapon which in my view is one of your best spells by far.

Disintegrate is not the stronger spell for single target. Not even close. Not even REMOTELY close.

And turn on elective mode, you can pick multiple spells from the same group.
Reply Quote
So what would you suggest waffles, I asked for a suggestion not just to be told im wrong. From noxes post do you mean magic missles?

Edit: By the way thanks for being constructive nox i'm working over your post now decoding it.
Edited by Vipic#1593 on 5/19/2012 3:41 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I don't recommend nox's approach at all, so far I've only died extensively at A2 Zoltan Kuule area, other than that hell A2 has been relatively easy, Energy armor (force armor) is bad.

A2 Build (Zoltan Kuule area) specifically forced me to adapt, now I'm in hell A3 :

Hell A1 key spells were blizzard / hydra, and run the hell away

Hell A2 made me unable to kite, thus I had to improvise I ended up using the following build :
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#URXOPQ!daf!abaZZZ

Again, bosses are not the issue, its those random champion packs that can't be kited cause they move too fast. With this build I was able to hold my own vs things that have the potential to kill me in 3 seconds or so.

Deaths :
2 in A1 ( one champion pack that I couldn't kill)
17? or so in A2, Till I decided I needed to do something different, then I was able to kill anything that I came across.
No deaths to butcher or belial.
Packs skipped with the A2 build is 0.
Reply Quote
@Venomheart

If you think Energy armor / force armor is bad, you're insane. Explain to me why nothing being able to 1 shot you EVER is bad? Are you even considering the fact that you can completely overlook defensive stats and go full glass cannon?

In regard to your build, how long does it take you to kill things? Waiting for hydras to do all the work sounds like a 30 minute investment for every rare pack.

Like I said, I'm farming inferno with this build. You're doing something wrong.
Reply Quote
Im trying out the energy armor force armor combo now although im still running with disintigrate. I have to admit I do like it its made me alot more durable, I hate to bring the discussion back around but what are you using for single target damage nox? Arcane Orb with the classic obliteration?
Reply Quote
4 Undead Priest
Wow, so force armor is amazing. I've dropped vitality as it says in the "most broken build post"

I've also equipped a shield that has a 20% chance to block 1000+ damage.

Doing less damage, but my disintegrate is free to cast & I'm much more confident in taking down packs.

Cheers.
Reply Quote
@Venomheart

If you think Energy armor / force armor is bad, you're insane. Explain to me why nothing being able to 1 shot you EVER is bad? Are you even considering the fact that you can completely overlook defensive stats and go full glass cannon?

In regard to your build, how long does it take you to kill things? Waiting for hydras to do all the work sounds like a 30 minute investment for every rare pack.

cause the odds of something one shotting you is really really rare. Because of that reducing it to just 35% isn't too effective, force armor is good for the packs where they do a lot of damage in one hit, but not if they hit really fast for low damage.

Besides, as your build says, it seems like you center around killing one thing then dying.
Edited by Venom#1391 on 5/19/2012 4:01 AM PDT
Reply Quote
4 Undead Priest
05/19/2012 03:32 AMPosted by Wafle
@Drekor Disintegrate is y9our single target it is by far your most damaging spell to one target. If you have a better suggestion let me know. Force armor also takes away your magic weapon which in my view is one of your best spells by far.

Disintegrate is not the stronger spell for single target. Not even close. Not even REMOTELY close.

And turn on elective mode, you can pick multiple spells from the same group.

I understand that arcane orb hits harder, but if you can keep disintegrate on isn't it more dps even if it is less damage? I spose meteors also hit pretty hard but you can't quite spam those.

what is the best "single target" spell? also how many chances to you get to hit only one target? honestly the only fight that comes to mind w/o adds is Diablo.
Reply Quote
The only single target spell wizards have are ray of frost and magic missile. Ray of frost sucks, and magic missile is my signature for both blizzard / hydra or arcane orb. Orb hits like a truck, it's good enough for single target. The blizzard / hydra combo gives you plenty of time to spam missile over their duration.

You don't ever really change what you do, regardless of how many things you're fighting. I know they said you'd want single target AND aoe damage during an interview for D3, but there isn't really a difference for wizards.
Reply Quote
@Venomheart

cause the odds of something one shotting you is really really rare. Because of that reducing it to just 35% isn't too effective, force armor is good for the packs where they do a lot of damage in one hit, but not if they hit really fast for low damage.

Besides, as your build says, it seems like you center around killing one thing then dying.

My build is not built around dying. I was simply stating that you're going to die in hell / inferno, unless you want to wait 30 minutes for your hydras to kill it all.

If you aren't encountering things that don't hit you for more than 35% of your health consistently, I'd question whether or not you're actually in hell. If you are, you must have invested an awful lot in vitality and as a result of that, tickle.
Edited by Noxient#1457 on 5/19/2012 4:06 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I believe I'm rather undergeared : Level 57 A3 hell, 924 int, 628 vit.
Reply Quote
Now hang on how do you have less stats than me, or was that a joke? I mean I thought I was the noob in this discussion....
Edited by Vipic#1593 on 5/19/2012 4:21 AM PDT
Reply Quote
05/19/2012 04:19 AMPosted by Vipic
Now hang on how do you have less stats than me, or was that a joke? I mean I thought I was the noob in this discussion....

It's not a joke, its simply what my stats are currently. Although, I suspect the +damage rings do make my int look bad.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]