Diablo® III

How to beat Hell and make groups -ADORE- you!

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#WRXdUj!ZcV!YaYZZb

Trust me, try it... you and your friends will love it ^_^
Reply Quote
If this build based around pretty much entirely CC, why even bother with Soul Harvest? You're clearly sacrificing most of your DPS for CC, why bother amplifying that piddly DPS instead of taking yet another CC?

I also don't understand Hedge Magic, 1800 life is pretty meh.

If I was going for a full support build I'd go for something like:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#WZXRUj!ZcV!YbbZZb
Reply Quote
tried it, loved it. We were actually getting through monster champion packs (arcane jailer frozen) with only a couple casualties, and I've been getting out alive almost every pack. I'll try out your build too dags, the soul harvest w/ siphon was really useful for staying alive while waiting for everyone to teleport back in on you.
Reply Quote
Why are people going toads? I can pretty much be shaking hands with a mob and two of the three will still miss. I get it, free toads. But logging out is free as well, and about as useful.
Reply Quote
Well Dags, the build isnt exactly meant as a "full support". Its more axed towards survivability, and control just happens to be a part of it. I prefer somewhat more of a balanced build (bit of damage, bit of survivability, bit of utility).

1) Harvest soul: this serves two purposes. It allows your toads to go from mediocre damage to something decent (10k a toad at lvl 52 with HS up). Meanwhile, the Siphon rune is your biggest self-heal if you use it right, and it can and will save your life many times over.

2) Hedge Magic: the shaman doesnt heal for 1800, he heals -periodically- for 1800. Its basically a HoT that is almost always up. It is perfect for giving you that extra sustainability while not really costing you anything DPS-wise, as its extremely rare that the problem is a single mob (the dmg boost rune would only apply to that one target).

As for why the toads? In this case, it is for the 15% chance to confuse the target as well as the -20% damage done debuff. It may sound like a low proc chance, but with the amount of toads you are launching, you would be surprised how huge a difference this single rune does.
Edited by Nikijih#1428 on 5/19/2012 10:11 PM PDT
Reply Quote
yeah, the survivability is nuts. I'm the only one living during the super herds so everyone is managing to tele back in. Toads with addle really amps up how long you live too, being able to keep 1 out of 3 or 4 elites constantly CC'ed is doing wonders.
Reply Quote
1) Harvest soul: this serves two purposes. It allows your toads to go from mediocre damage to something decent (10k a toad at lvl 52 with HS up). Meanwhile, the Siphon rune is your biggest self-heal if you use it right, and it can and will save your life many times over.

2) Hedge Magic: the shaman doesnt heal for 1800, he heals -periodically- for 1800. Its basically a HoT that is almost always up. It is perfect for giving you that extra sustainability while not really costing you anything DPS-wise, as its extremely rare that the problem is a single mob (the dmg boost rune would only apply to that one target).

As for why the toads? In this case, it is for the 15% chance to confuse the target as well as the -20% damage done debuff. It may sound like a low proc chance, but with the amount of toads you are launching, you would be surprised how huge a difference this single rune does.

I think Haunt/Spirit Walk are probably more usable in Hell and beyond as a self heals. And since this is a fairly mana light build, you could actually use the Health on Spirit Walk Rune. I just tested it, the fetish only heals twice.

I'd rather have 20% more damage on a mob. In a pack of elites, being able to focus one down 20% faster is more useful to me than 3600 HP every 15 seconds. Especially with enchants like fire chains that just wreck people and a coordinated group.

This build seems pretty good as a pure support build: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#WZUjXQ!cVX!bccYbY
Reply Quote
I can't manage to justify using Plague of Toads in later difficulties. It's too risky and too random. The stellar damage doesn't make up for that.
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
05/19/2012 11:53 PMPosted by Dags
I'd rather have 20% more damage on a mob. In a pack of elites, being able to focus one down 20% faster is more useful to me than 3600 HP every 15 seconds. Especially with enchants like fire chains that just wreck people and a coordinated group.

You're not including everything in your calculations:
It's actually 3600hp or +10% damage on the hexed target. The hex itself has a default +10% damage.

Not sure if it'll change your mind but I made that mistake when first looking at the rune. It is a much smaller difference so a small heal always struck me as a better option than a small DPS boost to 1 target. neither one is game-changing though.
Edited by brinebold#1864 on 5/20/2012 12:12 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Well honestly Dags you would have to try the build in actual combat. The problem is that without the mana regen on Spirit Walk, you do eventually run out of mana. And that spells disaster.

I'll try your build tonight, but first impression is that, while a great party build, it would leave you way too vulnerable to be able to solo. You would have long periods of downtime between heals if you rely on your BBV for it (you only regen 14% of your hp every 15 sec with the Spirit Walk rune, which for me is acutally less then Hedge Magic), would eventually run out of mana, and would take much longuer to kill stuff due to the lack of HS.

That would not be an issue if you could kite, but you are using 2 small radius AoEs, and no slow, so between your CC CDs youll be face-tanking with a low-healing build. I think you can see the issue here...

But yeah, ill give you actual hands-on feedback after ive tested it ^^

I can't manage to justify using Plague of Toads in later difficulties. It's too risky and too random. The stellar damage doesn't make up for that.

Honestly, the Addling Toads rune makes it very worth it. You should use your toads like a living minefield that happens to hit 100% of the time if something gets in your face. After 2-3 casts, something running towards me is assured to hit at least 1-2 toads. Its not about the "stellar damage", its about getting them confused as much as possible while keeping steady damage on them.
Edited by Nikijih#1428 on 5/20/2012 11:06 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Similar to the build I use.

I use Jinx rune instead of hedge magic on the hex. I switch out horrify for zombie bear, and jungle fever for vision quest.

Mine is alittle more offensive, and yours is more survival. It's funny seeing DH, and mages die left and right while I am just standing there surviving.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]