Diablo® III

The hacker found (with screenshot)

05/21/2012 07:15 AMPosted by Herpdedur
"actual hacking happening"

I swear. The moron population misuses "hacking" and "hackers" more than they do "pst".

I thought I was the only one in the world that was annoyed by the misuse of pst.
Reply Quote
What websites have you gone to, did you have an authenticator, please be honest so the rest of us can avoid your stupidity.
Reply Quote
They probably found a hole in the coding itself since there are so many cases and they are probably bypassing the password login and going in as admins. Which is why Blizzard never asks for your PW because they don't need it, they can login to your account at anytime.
Reply Quote
05/21/2012 06:26 AMPosted by Nakieon
This whole hacking rampage thing actually makes me scared to play the game. Good job, Blizzard.

If someone got hacked it is their own fault, not Blizzard's. Don't blame Blizz if you are unable to keep your own system secure.

05/21/2012 07:33 AMPosted by KoopaTroopa
Which is why Blizzard never asks for your PW because they don't need it, they can login to your account at anytime.

That would be illegal my friend.
Edited by Switch72nd#1324 on 5/21/2012 7:35 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Whether i get one autheticator, or not. Thats not the issue at hand. The damage has been done. and yeah i did submit a ticket already. And i believe others affected already did as well. But i still havent gotten a word from blizz staff and its been more than 3hours since i filed it. Just saying.

I'll be patient tho, il still wait for their reply.

update: Benzonia (the hacker has made another lv 1 barbarian named veksfk)
Edited by Funchum#1841 on 5/21/2012 7:35 AM PDT
Reply Quote
i suggest using a gmail or other email account exclusively for your battlenet account. Do you use it anywhere else. gmail is easy b/c you can forward all mail from that account to your main account. The same should be done for xbox live
Reply Quote
I do not much like how hacking is being explained.

Your PC got hacked, not your account. The hacker infiltrated your PC and retained your account information and logged in normally to take your stuff. Or, someone you know knows you and your typical passwords you use, either by allowing them to login to an account of an older game you both played and using passwords you typically use. Or your network is not protected or both. I have never been hacked by anyone.
Reply Quote
05/21/2012 07:33 AMPosted by KoopaTroopa
They probably found a hole in the coding itself since there are so many cases and they are probably bypassing the password login and going in as admins. Which is why Blizzard never asks for your PW because they don't need it, they can login to your account at anytime.

I am slowly becoming more and more convinced that this is the case.
Reply Quote
05/21/2012 07:40 AMPosted by Rasputin

I am slowly becoming more and more convinced that this is the case.

In which case Blizzard should be scrambling to fix this hole. If they aren't, then they should be, because this can bite them on the !@# on two games.
Reply Quote
For all we know players are scamming and giving all their gear and gold to someone in order to dupe blizzard into making doubles for them. Need more concrete evidence.
Reply Quote
Guys, please stop trying to "out" hackers on the forums. The accounts you're identifying were most likely other victims of account compromise.

Accounts have been getting compromised since WoW was released. Get an authenticator, and brush up on your computer security.
Reply Quote
its not a matter of negligence on the part of account security. I only play at home, no one knows my password, and i havent been hacked since. I too am not very new to "protecting" personal info. And its not about autheticator and all, yes, i know having one is a plus.
Reply Quote
05/21/2012 06:26 AMPosted by Nakieon
This whole hacking rampage thing actually makes me scared to play the game. Good job, Blizzard.

What is wrong with you? How is this Blizzard's fault? For not requiring an authenticator? For letting you play at all

05/21/2012 06:30 AMPosted by Garamsythe
I think people were hacked a while ago and hackers were just waiting for Diablo's release before they set "Order 66" into motion.

I lawled at the Star Wars reference.

That is actually possible you know. Once you acquire a password for example, you dont have to necessarily use it immediately (albeit I have read, they often do).

Its not only possible, its standard practice. A compromised account is a commodity. And its best when its "sold" at a high price.

Everyone who has been hacked has been hacked for ONE reason: They don't have an authenticator. And they cost, what, 10 bucks? Or free if you have a smartphone? (and no, im not talking about the dial-in thing).
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warrior
While I appreciate the common advice of 'get an authenticator', it seems like what is happening here is the 'hackers' are latching onto affected users' session ID, which basically mimics their connection to Battle.net without needing their credentials.

It's kinda like copying cookies from one browser to another. When it works, you basically can be signed in to someone's account without needing to know their password. Of course, this scenario is more advanced. As someone mentioned in another thread, this also happened to Rift.
Reply Quote

If someone got hacked it is their own fault, not Blizzard's. Don't blame Blizz if you are unable to keep your own system secure.

Which is why Blizzard never asks for your PW because they don't need it, they can login to your account at anytime.

That would be illegal my friend.

How is it my fault when I take every precaution there sensibly is (except authenticator, not having played WoW i didn't even know it existed)?
I have never fallen victim to phishing, my password exists only in my head, not even my closest friends know about it, my computer is free of viruses/trojans, according to sophos antivirus ( wich is up to date).

I have never been compromised in any other game. And it might be technically possible to hijack active gaming sessions, as roumors have it.
So how about you stop your mindless defending of Blizzard, when you do not even know the circumstances?

EDIT: Oh, and them logging into your account without requiring a pw is not illegal, It is THEIR PROPERTY after all.. get your !@#$%^- facts straight please.
Edited by Omniphage#2863 on 5/21/2012 8:24 AM PDT
Reply Quote
While I appreciate the common advice of 'get an authenticator', it seems like what is happening here is the 'hackers' are latching onto affected users' session ID, which basically mimics their connection to Battle.net without needing their credentials.

It's kinda like copying cookies from one browser to another. When it works, you basically can be signed in to someone's account without needing to know their password. Of course, this scenario is more advanced. As someone mentioned in another thread, this also happened to Rift.

That is my bet too.

Read those posts :

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5149008518?page=25#499
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5235395757?page=2#37

Downright scary.
Reply Quote
Hmm, its really scary. I now remember that when i was fighting for login when the hacker tried to log my account when i was playing, i got a password error. Then i checked my email, my password has been changed. My instincts tells me to change the password fast, by the time im done, i was able to login. And yeah, its stripped bare naked, even in stash1.. The hacker wasnt able to notice i had stash#2. Only that was saved. Gears, stash1 items, and gold were all gone.
It happened real fast.

Its been more than 4hours since it happened. Still patiently waiting for blizz feedback, and i hope to get my stuff back before i get the mood to start playing again.
Edited by Funchum#1841 on 5/21/2012 8:58 AM PDT
Reply Quote
ill say it again get an authenticator
Reply Quote
You realize that diablo ingamers why compromised a weak ago, and had an Iframe added to their forums by hackers. The hackers could be using the info they obtained there or they could be using stolen password lists.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]