Diablo® III

Getting the best performance in Diablo III

edit: still having trouble, thx anyway
Edited by Incerto#1155 on 5/21/2012 8:00 PM PDT
Reply Quote
05/21/2012 07:44 PMPosted by minuteZERO

lol funny, that's the part that drove me on this spree of trying to fix this game. That's where I really noticed problems and have been trying to fix it ever since. The sewers were absolutely horrible.
UPDATE: I have to turn OFF in-game vsync to play this part of the game. It keeps the framerate up even though it's not as smooth, but with the water effects I can't get it smooth... Are you telling me I'm downloading every drop of water from the servers??!?!? :)

UPDATE 2: In the sewers the reason in-game vsync is so bad is that if you look closely it is actually continuously jumping from 60fps to 30 and back. Def. better in this part of the game w/out in-game vsync. I do however still have adaptive vsync enabled in the nvidia control panel.

Hope you don''t get my horrible unstoppable stuttering at Belial
Reply Quote
any other tips on fixing first usage of skill stuttering issue?
Reply Quote
05/21/2012 08:17 PMPosted by Incerto
any other tips on fixing first usage of skill stuttering issue?

Have you tried recording with FRAPS on 30 fps while playing?
Reply Quote
05/21/2012 07:51 PMPosted by Incerto
edit: didnt fix, thx for the help anyway, ur guys are gr8
What steps have you tried? I would do the ramdisk if you can, even putting the mpq's in ram as opposed to whole game makes a significant difference.
Reply Quote
In order for Nvidia 300 series beta drivers to actually USE Adaptive Vsync, you must set Diablo3.exe to use Adaptive Vsync and then set it to 'Force ON' for vsync settings in Nvidia control panel. Then you must turn Vsync OFF in Diablo 3 in-game settings.

However, I tried doing that myself and personally I had better results just using the standard vsync setting, either by setting it to standard or by leaving it as 'adaptive' but set on 'let application decide'.

I'm not sure if it was my monitor that caused Adaptive Vsync to not work so well for me, but, I definitely had better luck with standard vsync. Too bad D3Doverrider doesn't work on this game due to the FXAA anti-aliasing. It would help alleviate the 60fps to 30fps issue that some of you are having in busy environments. Sadly blizzard chose to disable triple buffering as it can cause input lag.

Personally I'd prefer to be given the option to use triple buffering or not. Sadly turning Triple buffering on in the Nvidia Control panel has no effect on Diablo 3 as that setting is for OpenGL games only.

Basically to summarize, if you are having the 60fps to 30fps drop when in busy areas the only way you'll be able to fix it is by disabling Vsync entirely or forcing adaptive Vsync.

I don't have the 60fps to 30fps issue as my computer is able to run the game at 60fps minimum during busy fights. However, I do have the annoying micro stutter.
Reply Quote
Yes the 60 to 30 seems especially bad in Act II water areas I have had to disable in-game vsync to make it playable (keeping adaptive on in nvidia control panel).

The crazy thing is if I make it tiny windowed game on my screen it peaks at 200fps and I STILL get the stutter. What's the deal Blue?!
Reply Quote
Blizzard can we sticky this? I'm seeing new threads all the time with the bulk of the workarounds at the beginning of this thread.
Reply Quote
They are not going to sticky it because then they would be admitting there is actually a problem with the game.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Death Knight
Just to add a quick note for Nvidia users the 301.42 drivers are no longer beta they released this morning full WHQL.
Reply Quote
I have fine FPS (50+ atall times), but my latency is 200-300 and about every 30 seconds-1 minut thegame freezes for two seconds then catches up,executing all the attacks that took place during that time instantly. Anyone have info on this issue? Is this an issue with my ISP or my internet being fastenough? I have broadband, but my friend with 4g and a crappier computer is having no problems...
My problem seems small, but a 2 second lag in the middle of a hell pack is instant death for a barbarian.
For now, I'm leveling alts til about level 30 or so andthen starting a new one, that way the lag isn't as frustrating as when I getkilled by it.
Reply Quote
I strongly encourage using the RAMdisk approach provided by minuteZero. I tried it a couple days ago and it worked wonderfully! If you don't have the a memory for the full game, or even the MPQs, an easy alternative is to put the game/MPQs on a usb drive, and mklink to the usb. While it's not quite as fast as RAM, the response times for MPQ access are MUCH less than a standard hard drive (5-10 ms as opposed to 50). This will virtually eliminate the stuttering when running at 60fps.

It's important to note, however that it does NOT fix the poor overall performance. The other steps mentioned can help with that.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Mage
Is this stutter you talk about, is that the one that happens when you encounter a big group of mobs for the first time, or a new sound plays, or when you first enter a new zone etc... in other words when the HDD is being accessed?

I was fully aware of that during beta, the retail client is a hell of a lot smoother, they did a great job. I did consider suggesting at the time that they be a bit more aggressive in their memory usage, but I felt like that it being a beta an all it was one of those last minute tweaks they do.

It may be somewhat unavoidable due to how windows does virtual ram and so on, but when you have 12Gb's you can't help but wish that all the data files got loaded in, even if it meant a longer startup time.
Reply Quote
I have fine FPS (50+ atall times), but my latency is 200-300 and about every 30 seconds-1 minut thegame freezes for two seconds then catches up,executing all the attacks that took place during that time instantly. Anyone have info on this issue? Is this an issue with my ISP or my internet being fastenough? I have broadband, but my friend with 4g and a crappier computer is having no problems...
My problem seems small, but a 2 second lag in the middle of a hell pack is instant death for a barbarian.
For now, I'm leveling alts til about level 30 or so andthen starting a new one, that way the lag isn't as frustrating as when I getkilled by it.
Reply Quote
Is this stutter you talk about, is that the one that happens when you encounter a big group of mobs for the first time, or a new sound plays, or when you first enter a new zone etc... in other words when the HDD is being accessed?

I was fully aware of that during beta, the retail client is a hell of a lot smoother, they did a great job. I did consider suggesting at the time that they be a bit more aggressive in their memory usage, but I felt like that it being a beta an all it was one of those last minute tweaks they do.

It may be somewhat unavoidable due to how windows does virtual ram and so on, but when you have 12Gb's you can't help but wish that all the data files got loaded in, even if it meant a longer startup time.
You CAN do this by using my ramdisk guide which means either the assets or the entire game is loaded into RAM. It makes the game perform much better.
Reply Quote
I transfered MPQs to an sd card and rerouted the calls to that address and it didn't seem to matter.
Will the ramdisk solve this issue for me? The 2 second freeze ups dont seem to happen during any specific time, sound/new area/new mobs, etc... it just seems completely random, I'll be smacking monsters then BAM, im swinging and not hitting for a couple seconds then dead.
Reply Quote
It really seems like its some sort of communication pause between meand blizzard, my char doesnt freeze up, theres just no effect of my actions until everything catches up.
Reply Quote
Another thing you could do to help that actually helped my issue quit a lot. Is change your pagefile to another physical drive (not a partition on the same drive)
Reply Quote
I transfered MPQs to an sd card and rerouted the calls to that address and it didn't seem to matter.
Will the ramdisk solve this issue for me? The 2 second freeze ups dont seem to happen during any specific time, sound/new area/new mobs, etc... it just seems completely random, I'll be smacking monsters then BAM, im swinging and not hitting for a couple seconds then dead.

That is latency more then Stutter with the servers being all screwy and such that to me sounds like latency when I get ping spikes.
Reply Quote
Hope you don''t get my horrible unstoppable stuttering at [spoiler alert]

My wife had particularly bad performance at this boss too...

Her specific fix was as follows:

Set in game FPS to 59
(Vertical Sync Off)
FullScreen Windowed Mode
Set Core affinity to only one core
Install on USB3.0 drive (RAMDISK would probably be even better!)
Edited by Phinix#1702 on 5/22/2012 10:01 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]