Diablo® III

Getting the best performance in Diablo III

05/22/2012 09:56 AMPosted by Oriyen
Another thing you could do to help that actually helped my issue quit a lot. Is change your pagefile to another physical drive (not a partition on the same drive)

This may be unrelated, but when I was running perfmon while playing, I saw a lot of writes to system volume information. It could just be coincidental, and it was actually from a windows service, but maybe it was from the game (log file writing?). Either way, trying to eliminate disk writes may help speed the game up.
Reply Quote
05/22/2012 11:01 AMPosted by MileyNydus
Another thing you could do to help that actually helped my issue quit a lot. Is change your pagefile to another physical drive (not a partition on the same drive)

This may be unrelated, but when I was running perfmon while playing, I saw a lot of writes to system volume information. It could just be coincidental, and it was actually from a windows service, but maybe it was from the game (log file writing?). Either way, trying to eliminate disk writes may help speed the game up.
If this is AFTER your ramdisk creation this could mean you are paging, ie running out of free memory... might have to shrink your ramdisk and run only one mpq... pain in the butt.
Reply Quote
seriously? I haven't had to do any of this. My system is at least four years old, too. I wonder why so many are having problems. The one thing I do differently than most is install my games on a completely different HD from my operating system. I have two Caviars, one is split in two as my OS drive and documents. The second HD is split for games, music, and videos. Haven't had issues since I was using Vista. Windows 7 makes a huge difference, too.

Windows 7 64 bit, Pro
Q6600 intel quad core processor, 2.4 (so old)
8 gigs DDR5 RAM
250 gig HD for OS, 250 gig HD for Diablo3
Nvidia 450, 1 gig RAM (this card is rad)

I'm going to try the upgraded video drivers tonight, I've been on the beta driver since it came out. It's been running fine, though.
Reply Quote
Thanks Valcros this fixed much for me (4870).

I Sadly blizzard chose to disable triple buffering as it can cause input lag.

I added triple buffering in the RadeonPro Direct3D tweaks. That fixed it for me. If you don't have an AMD card. Get D3DOverrider.

Let me know if it helps.
Edited by warshooter#2167 on 5/22/2012 12:08 PM PDT
Reply Quote
05/21/2012 07:19 PMPosted by minuteZERO
For Nvidia control panel i don't even see half of the stuff you guys are saying.... and im using the up to date April 9, Beta one.
Hey Jag, Under "Manage 3d settings", browse to your Diablo III.exe and these are the settings I've used: http://imgur.com/LKSeq

i don't see any options just basically

Performance:
Adjust GPU Settings
Tune System
View System Information
Launch NVMonitor
Adjust Custom Rules

System Stablity
Perform Stability Test

thats all i have and i do have "advanced" on view menu.
Reply Quote
Couldn't of said it better myself :)

We shouldn't have to do all of this just to make our game smooth... poor optimization on their part.
No kidding, I'm not sure if I spent more hours playing or fixing...

Couldn't of said it better myself :) I mean really, how many years in development and it runs this bad on gaming rigs???? Kinda of pathetic coming from Blizz; is your B team on this game or what?
Edited by syklonis#1995 on 5/22/2012 12:27 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Hey I'm the guy with the FXAA-idea, which did not work out that well in the end, so screw it.
Could you guys try lowering your resolution down to 1680x1050?
It might sound ridiculous, but I did not try that at all till I stumbled over a possible-resolution thread where I had to run my game in window-mode. Before I did that, I actually lowered my resolution and BAM. 57-60 fps. Pretty constant without my usual mouse-over-objects fps drop. I run it with everything on High (even shadows), including full FX and v-sync. But important to me: Anti-Aliasing off.

tl;dr: try lowering your resolution with anti-aliasing off and tell me, if it helps.

Seems to work for me so far... as stupid as it sounds.

:EDIT: what foul magics is this?
Went wonderful for some minutes. Then suddenly the same old story repeats again. This is not fun anymore. So once again: this made it better somehow. A little. Perhaps. But does NOT solve anything. sry :(
Edited by KelJar#2225 on 5/22/2012 1:10 PM PDT
Reply Quote
^^ Thats pretty much the story of my life.....try something, seems to work, but then gets worse. It all depends on where I am in the game: Spider cave, sewers, etc... Act 2 for the most part in the desert areas seems to work the best for me, but still isn't pefect. Slow motion everywhere else...
Reply Quote
Hey I'm the guy with the FXAA-idea, which did not work out that well in the end, so screw it.
Could you guys try lowering your resolution down to 1680x1050?
It might sound ridiculous, but I did not try that at all till I stumbled over a possible-resolution thread where I had to run my game in window-mode. Before I did that, I actually lowered my resolution and BAM. 57-60 fps. Pretty constant without my usual mouse-over-objects fps drop. I run it with everything on High (even shadows), including full FX and v-sync. But important to me: Anti-Aliasing off.

tl;dr: try lowering your resolution with anti-aliasing off and tell me, if it helps.

Seems to work for me so far... as stupid as it sounds.

:EDIT: what foul magics is this?
Went wonderful for some minutes. Then suddenly the same old story repeats again. This is not fun anymore. So once again: this made it better somehow. A little. Perhaps. But does NOT solve anything. sry :(

Actually it's not stupid at all. The lower the res, the less work your system has to do. Though it does mask the issue it doesn't completely solve it. One of my guides (link in 1st post) shows you how to do non-scaling res drops, which are less blurry (basically the same as windowed mode without the distraction of your desktop). I have to resort to that or windowed mode in water effect areas because of the choppy framerate. The thing that worries me the most, is if you go into windowed mode and make it as small as possible, you will see huge FPS but the stutter is still there. So while it may be partly to have to do with the GPU, it doesn't seem to be the main underlying problem.
Reply Quote
05/22/2012 12:23 PMPosted by theJaguar
Hey Jag, Under "Manage 3d settings", browse to your Diablo III.exe and these are the settings I've used: http://imgur.com/LKSeq

i don't see any options just basically

Performance:
Adjust GPU Settings
Tune System
View System Information
Launch NVMonitor
Adjust Custom Rules

System Stablity
Perform Stability Test

thats all i have and i do have "advanced" on view menu.
Hmm that sounds like a different place. I'm just double clicking the nvidia icon down by my clock, then choosing "Manage 3D Settings".
Reply Quote

Hmm that sounds like a different place. I'm just double clicking the nvidia icon down by my clock, then choosing "Manage 3D Settings".

You have to go to the 'program' 3d settings. Click the tab at the top to the right when you are in the manage 3d settings window.
Edited by DornoDiosMio#1652 on 5/22/2012 3:39 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Thanks Dorno!
Reply Quote
05/22/2012 03:38 PMPosted by minuteZERO
Thanks Dorno!

NP, and much thx to you for all the work you've put in to help people on the forum. The ram drive info is especially valuable. I've only got 4GB of ram at the moment, but, I'm going to do the same trick with an 8GB USB drive which I'm loading the assets on right now.

With 8GB I wasn't able to move the entire MPQ folder, but, the cut scenes work fine for me from the HDD so I'm not going to bother with those. Without that cutscene MPG it comes in at about 6.15 GB.

Thankfully I've grown somewhat used to the issue and it hasn't totally ruined my play experience like it did the first couple of days. Still any improvements will be very welcome!
Edited by DornoDiosMio#1652 on 5/22/2012 3:44 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Thanks Dorno!

NP, and much thx to you for all the work you've put in to help people on the forum. The ram drive info is especially valuable. I've only got 4GB of ram at the moment, but, I'm going to do the same trick with an 8GB USB drive which I'm loading the assets on right now.

With 8GB I wasn't able to move the entire MPQ folder, but, the cut scenes work fine for me from the HDD so I'm not going to bother with those. Without that cutscene MPG it comes in at about 6.15 GB.

Thankfully I've grown somewhat used to the issue and it hasn't totally ruined my play experience like it did the first couple of days. Still any improvements will be very welcome!
If you're limited for space, try the tips from my first post, first link, and just do the MPQ's folder, which is under 7GB. I don't know if there was actually much of a change between that and putting the whole game into RAM (or onto USB in your case).
Edited by minuteZERO#1907 on 5/22/2012 3:48 PM PDT
Reply Quote
The whole MPQ folder wouldn't quite fit, because it takes 7.7GB and my flash drive when formatted to NTFS only has 7.51GB of space, lol. It's not a new flash drive, but, still has 20MB read speed, so hopefully will be sufficient for a modest increase. It was also a more expensive one when purchased a cpl years back.

Using the tips from your original ramdrive post, I'm making links to all the MPQ files except the cutscene.mpq which I don't think will impact performance significantly if at all.

On an unrelated note I've played the Torchlight 2 beta which has been extended to Thursday now and it is pretty fun. Gfx are more WoW-like and simpler, but, gameplay is fast and fun and best of all the game is free from any annoying lag and/or stutter. That being said, Diablo 3 is pretty awesome when you're able to avoid the various technical issues.
Reply Quote
2) For nVidia new 301.42 drivers users, use the FXAA and disable AA in game, it's better than 4x AA and faster than 2x AA, works on polygons and textures unlike basic AA. You should use it for all your games in fact, me, I'm fan...

Thanks for that list of potential fix, but the RAMDisk or SD link is not a solution, I don't want to buy new hardware, just to see if it fix the stuttering issue or not. My 8Go USB Key can't contain all the MPQ folder, 7.40Go in reality :(
Edited by Holger#2247 on 5/22/2012 5:28 PM PDT
Reply Quote
2) For nVidia new 301.42 drivers users, use the FXAA and disable AA in game, it's better than 4x AA and faster than 2x AA, works on polygons and textures unlike basic AA. You should use it for all your games in fact, me, I'm fan...

Thanks for that list of potential fix, but the RAMDisk or SD link is not a solution, I don't want to buy new hardware, just to see if it fix the stuttering issue or not. My 8Go USB Key can't contain all the MPQ folder, 7.40Go in reality :(
Try the Texture and Sound mpq files only to see if that helps.

AGAIN, I know this is not a SOLUTION, but a band-aid fix to a problem that apparently in the eyes of Blizzard does not require a response. So we push on on our own...
Reply Quote

We aren´t encouraging Blizzard to dodge the issue by solving it ourselves. We are just trying to provide some workarounds while Blizzard finally fixes it. Some may work some not. We are just trying to give some help that right now Blizzard isn't giving us.

Even if my game it's now playable with FRAPS that doesn't mean that I won´t continue fighting to get this thing solved fully as this is unnaceptable from Blizzard.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]