Diablo® III

Getting the best performance in Diablo III

I was hoping by now this would be stickied since I'm starting to see others reference this and our other threads, but alas, it continues to be buried amidst the cries for help...
Reply Quote
05/23/2012 01:27 PMPosted by minuteZERO
I was hoping by now this would be stickied since I'm starting to see others reference this and our other threads, but alas, it continues to be buried amidst the cries for help...

We won´t surrender. The fight is still on.
Reply Quote
05/22/2012 05:27 PMPosted by Holger
2) For nVidia new 301.42 drivers users, use the FXAA and disable AA in game, it's better than 4x AA and faster than 2x AA, works on polygons and textures unlike basic AA. You should use it for all your games in fact, me, I'm fan...

The game is actually using FXAA or Morphological AA by default. It isn't doing traditional AA. The problem with enabling it through the Control Panel instead of in the game is that when you enable it from the CP it uses FXAA on everything, including the onscreen text.

When it is done by the game developers they can apply the FXAA/MPAA to only the 3d rendered parts before the UI is overlaid on top of it. So that is the benefit of using in game AA vs the Control Panel FXAA or with ATI MPAA.

However, there are probably some differences with how it is implemented, so if you prefer the look of control panel FXAA or you get better performance it is definitely worth doing.
Reply Quote
I finally put all *.mpq files except enGB_Cutscene.mpq (which should contain only ink style videos & co.) on a SanDisk 8Go USB 2.0 Key. I plugged the key directly on the motherboard by the back, it's probably better to avoid front plugs connected with a longer wire. I made the links with :
mklink "C:\...\Diablo III\...\MPQs\file.mpq" "E:\file.mpq"
For each independant mpq file, no /d or /j option.
Thanks to Edstroyer for the tutorial about this solution, I learnt new things :)
(Links can be removed directly in the MPQ folder like any shortcut)

Result : All major stutters caused by new monsters, sounds or effects are nearly gone, but the micro stuttering during stage scrolling still persist, it must be another problem (is it really the lag ? My connection is stable). The game is more playable, but it's far form perfect...

I ordered a SSD, not only for Diablo III of course (it would make the game a bit expensive), it will be good for all games, but the poor optimization of Diablo III has certainly affected my decision...
Edited by Holger#2247 on 5/24/2012 4:54 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Bump for great justice
Reply Quote
Tried a fresh install of XP with nothing else but Diablo 3. Seemed worse.

I will continue to update my first post as I find things.
Edited by minuteZERO#1907 on 5/24/2012 3:39 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Dang. That must've been a major bummer after a half day's effort. :(
Reply Quote

Dang. That must've been a major bummer after a half day's effort. :(
I had a spare drive kicking around... but yes. The frame jump seems even worse in XP. I will try different drivers and see if it helps.
Reply Quote
I had a spare drive kicking around... but yes. The frame jump seems even worse in XP. I will try different drivers and see if it helps.

Windows 3.1 Revolution, go go go!
(Kidding, of course...)
Reply Quote
Ok here is the last ticket response wich seemed promising

"I've gone ahead and sent this new thread to QA to ensure they're aware of it being compiled. Keep and eye on this and your original post to see if we're able to get in touch with you to provide an official solution. Last I heard, we were working on getting more information about the numerous video problems with the game, so hopefully this will be soon."
Reply Quote
05/24/2012 03:50 PMPosted by Phinix

Windows 3.1 Revolution, go go go!
(Kidding, of course...)
Nice, I will try that next! j/k.

See my updates on page 1. XP seems to do it. I can finally get a solid 60fps with nvidia vsync on, no frame drops when hovering over items, etc. But there are 2 fundamental issues here. One is for sure to do with GPU, and one is to do with loading assets. I can distinguish the two visually now. Basically the loading assets issue is a full on freeze, where the FPS issue is very subtle and bearable stutter. If they can fix the asset issue I would be more than happy with how the game performs. I believe the GPU issues will clear up when we see new drivers from nvidia.

As a note, the 301.45 drivers, seem terrible for this game; I have had the best luck with 296.10 with 301.24 beta a close second.
Edited by minuteZERO#1907 on 5/24/2012 7:21 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Ok here is the last ticket response wich seemed promising

"I've gone ahead and sent this new thread to QA to ensure they're aware of it being compiled. Keep and eye on this and your original post to see if we're able to get in touch with you to provide an official solution. Last I heard, we were working on getting more information about the numerous video problems with the game, so hopefully this will be soon."
They are getting more info!!!! That's good news for sure!
Reply Quote
FINAL UPDATE: Just had a pretty good session and have now settled on my final setup. Hopefully this will help others out.

System Specs: Win7 64-bit, Core i3 3.1GHz, 16GB RAM, eVGA GTX 550ti FPB (950MHz), SATA HDD (No SSD), 24" 1920x1200 LCD monitor

Using Gamebooster. It's a really slick app, and not required, but it just saves time closing/reopening any running programs that could slow down your system or use RAM.

NVIDIA Geforce 296.10 64-bit drivers.
Nvidia control panel settings for Diablo III Profile:
-Antialiasing Gamma Correction: OFF
-Power mgmt: Max Performance
-Max pre-rendered frames: 0
-PHYSX: Manually set to CPU
-Triple Buffering: ON
-VSYNC: ON

In-game settings:
-Sound: Med
-Fullscreen*
-VSYNC: OFF**
-FPS Limiters: OFF
-Antialiasing: OFF****

SETTINGS INITIALLY DETECTED BY DIABLO which I reverted back to:
--Resolution: Lowered to 1680x1050***
--Textures: High
--Shadows: Med
--Physics: High
--Clutter: High
--Low FX: OFF

AND FINALLY:
MPQ ramdisk (ClientData, Textures, and Sounds). You can find the how-to for this in my opening post on this thread.

This made me realize there are two types of performance issues here. One is to do with the graphics and one is to do with the assets. Unfortunately if your GPU can't cut it there's not much you can do (until/unless they release a performance patch).But if you wanted to do one thing to massively boost the performance of this game in its current state that would be the ramdisk. In fact, maybe START with the MPQs in RAM so that you know the only thing left to fine tune are your video settings. The ramdisk virtually eliminates the audio clip, new item, new cast stutter. I even went back to full HDD to make sure I wasn't crazy and it is without a doubt the biggest performance booster. A lot of people have brought up doing this to a USB stick. I would advise against, as most USB drives can't keep up with modern HDDs. BUT, there has been some success, so that leads me to believe that part of the impact comes from moving the MPQs to a different data path, ie. second hard drive, RAM, etc.

One thing I have not tested is which MPQ makes the biggest impact for those of you with lower RAM. I would experiment with one a time and see how it goes. There have been comments about sound assets being resource heavy, so if you're low on RAM, lower your sound setting to low in-game, and move the textures.mpq to RAM, or maybe just the sound one. Again, I haven't tried this out as I have all 3 loaded in RAM.

*I found something interesting, and that is VSYNC works better in fullscreen as opposed to fullscreen windowed AS LONG AS YOU DO NOT ALT+TAB OUT OF THE GAME. As soon as you do it seems to stop working. This is probably something a lot of us didn't notice

**This was a big one. Having in-game vsync off FINALLY seemed to be a good balance between performance and smoothness. It's very slightly LESS smooth with this OFF, BUT, and here's the kicker, I was no longer getting the FPS drops down to 30 when highlighting items. AGAIN, as soon as I ALT-TAB'd out it was hooped. This didn't seem to happen every time but definitely made troubleshooting more confusing.

***I didn't want to do this but this stabilized the FPS with NVIDIA VSYNC on. Find an item that when you run towards cuts your FPS to 30 (CTRL+R) to display FPS. Do it a few times to make sure it's actually continuing to do so. Now drop your resolution down and try it again. Keep doing this until the item highlight stays stable and close to 60. I was stable at the next lowest res at the same ratio, which in my case was 1680x1050

****Because I dropped the res things were a lot more blurry. This always happens when not in native res. But I found a compromise/benefit. What I did was disabled Antialiasing, which sharpened things up quite a bit and make the game look pretty close to native. The nice thing about this is now you're softening the image physically and not through your system. So by disabling AA you'll gain some performance.

Reply Quote
I tried mounting the ENTIRE game folder to a Virtual Ram Disk. That... seemed to help the best considering i was just going on a long shot. I have 12 gigs of Ram in this computer so I figured it was worth a go. Might work for some-one else, I dunno. Just throwing it out there.
Reply Quote
05/24/2012 07:18 PMPosted by minuteZERO
If they can fix the asset issue I would be more than happy with how the game performs.

Yah, I really hope they're on this aspect. I'm noticing the desktop gets a bit of stutter for newly loaded areas, but it's tolerable. It would just look so much better if there weren't that hesitation.
Reply Quote
Will any of these exhaustive efforts on our part fix the latency issue? That is my problem.
Reply Quote
can anyone confirm if this has worked for them? I have followed the other Zero's recommendations and still have problems.

Right now I am going to try 2 things. First, change my settings exactly matching the most recent post and secondly, I'm waiting on a full install of d3 to a 32gig USB drive

Also going to NEVER tab out of game while playing and see if I can make it through act 3 NOT in slow motion. Will repost if I have any success. I have been literally trying everything for days to get this to work. My system is (not to sound braggish) but the system is better than a lot of what other people's systems are at, except I have 6gig memory, though it doesn't seem to matter -what- specs you have, still fps slow to a crawl .
Reply Quote
can anyone confirm if this has worked for them? I have followed the other Zero's recommendations and still have problems.

Right now I am going to try 2 things. First, change my settings exactly matching the most recent post and secondly, I'm waiting on a full install of d3 to a 32gig USB drive

Also going to NEVER tab out of game while playing and see if I can make it through act 3 NOT in slow motion. Will repost if I have any success. I have been literally trying everything for days to get this to work. My system is (not to sound braggish) but the system is better than a lot of what other people's systems are at, except I have 6gig memory, though it doesn't seem to matter -what- specs you have, still fps slow to a crawl .
If you can, do RAM before USB. Some USB drives may not have read speeds any faster than SATA.

If I had a choice, I would prioritize as such:

EDIT --> 0) Patch/Fix from Blizzard :D

1) RAM
2) SSD
3) Separate/Secondary HDD
4) USB

Cheers, and good luck!
Edited by minuteZERO#1907 on 5/25/2012 3:52 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Thanks for the reply minuteZERO,

I did mount a ramdisk but since I have 6gig of ram about 98% of it gets used up so I wondered if that affected it. I'm literally desperate so I've sent the entire thing to the USB drive. It's counter-intuitive but I'm trying everything I can. The thing is; I have an SSD on my laptop in the first place and I'm almost 100% positive the low fps has nothing to do with any hardware on my end.

My nvidia is NVS 4200m with the most up-to-date drivers as detected by Nvidia auto-detect, and the settings were not exactly identical to what you used so I'm going to try that. It did take forever to copy the whole d3 to the USB so I fell asleep waiting, lol

My steps will be (not in order just a list of what I will do)

1) matching your vidcard settings
2) matching your in-game settings, maybe even lower (lowest gfx settings, low resolution though my laptop is a very nice native 1600x900)
3) Then systematically going in reverse; copy from USB back to SSD, then try RAMDISK again,

4) take out 9mm, open mouth.....

/e jk on #4 - I'm Canadian; we don't have guns here in Canada :P
Edited by ZerotheHero#1954 on 5/25/2012 5:00 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Sweet mother of god I could kiss you right on the mouth. But I won't bc reported for real-life harassment

STICKY THIS MAN'S WORK

I can't say 100% guaranteed that it works, but playing in the most problematic area of act3 and it's crawling but at least faster than usual; which is dead stopped.

I was running in 1600x900, without gamebooster, and running off the (fast) USB drive.

Going to try like I said, going back to SSD, stepping down resolution low as I can stand it, and run with game booster. Failing that I'll remount my RAMDISK since I already downloaded that little control panel tweak to easily mount drives

The Rangers game is starting so I'll test later.

Main things that worked: minuteZERO's config settings of the nvidia and in-game (i think).
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]