Diablo® III

DIABLO 3 HACKED: IT'S TIME TO OWN UP BLIZZARD

(Locked)

05/22/2012 07:15 AMPosted by Affe
Get an authenticator, totally worth it.

people with authenticators said they got hacked as well
05/22/2012 07:16 AMPosted by paopao
seriously ,i am so tired of hearing this ,i never played wow before ,i have no idea what is an authenticator until i found myself hacked here . if an authenticator is so important , why not sell me it with the game ? why tell me now ? and u call this our own fault ?

Why tell you now? Don you have the initiative of checking for security measures to safeguard your account? What are you? 12?
btw i have norton , 2 version of 360s( chinese cloud control spywares, one for IE ,one for everything else)
90 Orc Hunter

Um. Show me one case please. Bashiok has responded to several of these, and they were lying. Several instances where he asked for a battletag and it turned out they did not have an authenticator or purchased/downloaded one after they were hacked.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5149619846?page=32#636

totally ignored these 3 guys
Fat 1, everybody that has been hacked has had it happen since blizard took the servers offline on sunday, with only a 5 minuite warning, suggesting that there was an issue they needed to correct fast.

Fact 2, with the hundreds of people effected, im sorry but the keylogger of phishing scam excuses people have been using, just dont have any logic to them, as the hackers seem to leave the same 'new friend' in our friends list. This would mean the hackers are generaly the same people....meaning that everyone that is effected would have to have near enough the exact same internet usage in order to accidentaly download the software containing the keylogger or phishing software....that just dosent make sense.

Fact 3, Not only is is us 'regulay, casual' gamers that are effected, but PC gamer journalist Tom Hatfield and Eurogamers Chris Donlan were also hacked. They play games online for a living, do you realy expect their online security to be bad. More than likely they have authenticators and numerous security programmes to prevent things like this happening....because if they get hacked, their job is effected.

Fact 4, This has all happened when the RMAH is scheduled to go up

Fact 5, Of the hundreds that are effected, quite a large percentage are saying they also have authenticators on their account. Yes this dosent make it 100% hack proof, but its suposed to make it hard for those trying, yet alot of people are still effected. Yes iv seen the posts saying 'but if theyre using your own ip address then they dont need a new authentication'...and while this is true, im willing to bet some of those had it set for authentication for every game session.

You're confusing fact with speculation.

#1 – Are you able to provide evidence supporting the assertion that everybody hacked was done in that timeframe?

#2 – Bashiok's explanation here seems feasible to me;
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5149619846?page=32#633
It's entirely possible that the "orchestrated" nature of the account compromises appears as if it doesn't follow your impression of what a widespread number of successful phishing attacks would look like, but as Bashiok notes it's possible that these accounts were phished for awhile and only taken advantage of recently in a well co-ordinated fashion to do maximum damage in minimal time.

#3 – *I* won't speculate on the account security of others, "professional" journalist or otherwise. Maintain your own yard, as it were.

#4 – Correlation ≠ Causation.

#5 – Again, *I* won't speculate on the truth of the reports by players themselves on whether or not they had authenticators. Did YOU have an authenticator on your compromised account? The answer to that question is what you should be primarily concerned with.

I too am trying to remain impartial on these security reports, but spreading specious "facts" only contributes to the FUD, and does nothing to inform or educate the player base at large or resolve compromised accounts. I don't know the facts yet either, but I do know the difference between fact and fear-induced hysteria. 8)

love,
shmoo
85 Orc Shaman
Did you even read your own articles you linked?

"It’s important to note that this is just one report from Eurogamer plus complaints on forums. I should have a response from Blizzard on whats’ actually going on this evening. It could be much ado over…glitches. Will keep everyone posted, so stay tuned."

One report from Eurogamer and the forums. That's his source for this monumental piece that shows Bliz should have to OWN UP.

Hell, the opening line from the article tells you its from the god damn forums.

Imagine if all "news" came from Blizzard forums.

Idiot.
wth , is this ur first game online ,are u 10 bro ? which other game u buy or download , u go look for an authenicator right after ? tell me which ?

Um. Show me one case please. Bashiok has responded to several of these, and they were lying. Several instances where he asked for a battletag and it turned out they did not have an authenticator or purchased/downloaded one after they were hacked.

I did not say that people werent making stuff up, i simply stated the facts, what people have said around the forums. Theres no need to sound pissy with your reply. And i dont get what your getting at, not having an authenticator dosent mean that the hackers cant be the same person :S. The same general friend is added to the hacked persons friends list, obviously just an offloading tool to grab the items, and there is clearly a few of them....but what im saying, is that its highly unlikely that everyone who is hacked has near enough the same internet usage for them all to download the same keylogger of phishing software. All the hacks have the same MO. True, some of them are more than likely other people managing to get a hack in, but it seems more than likely to be the same people, which then calls into question how exactly they got into the computers of such an international crowd at the same time.

Its conjecture to say that somehow they got into Blizzards server, but reasonably...it does seem to be the only logical way to do it
well said ,thats my point too
100 Gnome Warrior

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5149619846?page=32#636

totally ignored these 3 guys

He didn't ignore anyone.

"...we have yet to investigate a compromise report in which an authenticator was attached beforehand"

That's a pretty !@#$%^-ed clear statement. He's saying anyone who says they have an authenticator and were hacked is lying- either about having an authenticator, or about when it was added. He's being diplomatic about it, but it's an absolute statement and he doesn't have to reply to specifics
100 Pandaren Warrior
05/22/2012 07:16 AMPosted by paopao
seriously ,i am so tired of hearing this ,i never played wow before ,i have no idea what is an authenticator until i found myself hacked here . if an authenticator is so important , why not sell me it with the game ? why tell me now ? and u call this our own fault ?

Yes. Because Blizzard spams you about it every five seconds if you log into your battle.net account without one. They make it blatantly obvious. In this day and age there's almost no excuse not to have an authenticator.

It is your fault for not taking precautions. Hundreds of people get "hacked" daily in the World of Warcraft. All of them have been at the fault of the user, not with Blizzard's servers. Slapping an authenticator on your account keeps it safe, and takes about 5 minutes of work.
I love that people post articles that site posts from random users on this forum as legitimate sources. Then those same people turn around and say, "Look, it's on the internet now! It must be true!"

It's unbelievable.
This problem isnt only in the US. This happens in EU aswell. The servers where brought down in EU primetime on Sunday, where Blizz said it was down for "maintenance" and all we got was a blue post with the inch of a thumb saying NOTHING about the on-going hacking.

Now I for one have not been hacked yet, but I have an authenticator, but this doesnt nesscesarily means I am safe. A friend of mine has also been hacked, and he has an iPhone authenticator.

Blizzard needs to relase a press message where they say what all of this is about. It was even posted in the Norwegian's biggest news site;

- http://www.vg.no/spill/artikkel.php?artid=10062017

That being said, I rarely see anything about games there at all and now this.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]