Diablo® III

DIABLO 3 HACKED: IT'S TIME TO OWN UP BLIZZARD

(Locked)

Is it too much to ask that a thread not turn into a mass argument. Can we not just gather the information, speculative or not, thats been posted around and make our own minds up about whats happened.

of course not, 40% of the users are adament that its blizards fault, 40% are determined to stick to saying 'LOL, ITS YOUR OWN FAULT YOU N00000Bs'...the other 20% who are open minded arent posting.

Il freely admit that i didnt have an authenticator before all this started, but i didnt have the need, as the only other blizard game i own is Starcraft 2, and i never played that online either. Iv scanned my pc multiple times and have 2 security systems running, and nothing has been detected. Never before have i had an account hack. But im willing to take some responsability if needed, however the response everyone gets from Blizzard is the same generic answer...as is the argument everyone uses for 'its your fault'.

i could see the potential for our acounts to have been hacked months ago and 'harvested' now, but that assumes that everyone used blizard acounts for months up to this point. I myself have not used my battle.net account since i completed starcraft 2 just after launch, and i had no problems then.
there are rumors that when you join a game it create a ID session for a minutes and is public to the people in the game, the hackers catch this ID and ---> Profit. And if you had in a game with other account that was hacked is high probabilyt that you account can be hacked too.

But well this is just only a rumor commented in other community forums by people that work in security systems.

I wish that blizzard would tell something about this.
100 Goblin Mage
05/22/2012 07:16 AMPosted by paopao
seriously ,i am so tired of hearing this ,i never played wow before ,i have no idea what is an authenticator until i found myself hacked here . if an authenticator is so important , why not sell me it with the game ? why tell me now ? and u call this our own fault ?

I was never hacked in the first 6 years of WoW, and i haven't been in the 2 years since I added an authenticator. So they're not important, they're just an added layer.
View profile
05/22/2012 07:19 AMPosted by paopao
btw i have norton , 2 version of 360s( chinese cloud control spywares, one for IE ,one for everything else)

And what malware?
05/22/2012 07:09 AMPosted by Conch
I like how people read that Forbes article as if Forbes has any F'ing clue about hackers,phising or what is actually going on.

I like how the forbes article is using forum posters as their source
and considering all the souces and money SONY has, i even doult that Blizzard has more experience in this field, even in MMO field. everques 1,2 are from sony ,final fantasys are from sony and tons of other MMOs
Please educate yourself. That does NOT make your account anymore secure then if it did not ask every time

What? Are you joking me? If you have to input a code that is only on the authenticator, then yes, it absolutely makes it more secure.
For all you people defending the authenticators

http://wow.joystiq.com/2010/02/28/man-in-the-middle-attacks-circumventing-authenticators/
100 Goblin Mage

I wish that blizzard would tell something about this.

They have already commented extensively on it in these forums , + a press release which you can find on http://sea.battle.net/support/en/news
I digress, no one who has been hacked has found any trojan/virus/key logger.
Ok I'm going to try and set things STRAIGHT.
First off I am a Information Security Graduate and have been following a lot of the stuff going on. I know a lot on the subject so please don't rant at me for not knowing anything.
YES, Authenticators ARE a good thing to have. but it will NEVER make your account bullet proof.
One of the basic security principles is that an entity is ONLY as secure as it's WEAKEST link. Meaning that even if you use an Authenticator to authenticate you are the owner of the account at log in time it doens't mean you are safe throughout your session. ALL the hacks I've read about have most likely (not 100% sure as I don't have ALL the data) been Session Hijacks. This means that after you login someone is constantly listening to your communication with Battle.net and re-routes this communication or as soon as you issues the exit command blocks your communication and continues to communicating as if they were you.

(For more info http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Session_hijacking)

Yes this is a security hole that needs to be fixed. But even if it IS fixed there will be other ways to hack accounts. and this is because 100% security is simply impossible.

To end yes Blizzard will need to fix this problem as it is usually quite simple to fix. But give them a break. They can't prevent hacking in its entirety and probably never will be able to. The best you can hope for is that they try.
Ban Review
View profile
For all you people defending the authenticators

http://wow.joystiq.com/2010/02/28/man-in-the-middle-attacks-circumventing-authenticators/

authenticators work

I never got hacked so it obviously works ;p
and u know whats funny , i can see those 2 unknow accounts both lvl 1 in my friendlists, those who hacked me ,as i am typing here, they are loggin in and out hacking more and more .and i can;t do !@#$ about it , reported their name to Blizzard more than 20 hours ago
I will even go as far as have everyone that has been hacked make there own thread and watch the forums fill up... Maybe the people that think Blizzard can do no wrong will see that there is a problem.
100 Draenei Shaman
Please educate yourself. That does NOT make your account anymore secure then if it did not ask every time

What? Are you joking me? If you have to input a code that is only on the authenticator, then yes, it absolutely makes it more secure.

You have no idea how the authentication system works, do you?
This guy claiming that the authentication code doesn't need to be input everytime is trying to argue that malware can't control your computer and/or login from your computer. LOL.
90 Worgen Hunter
I'm gonna guess that at least 50% that got hacked, were looking for bots or mods...
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]