Diablo® III

Battle.net® Account Security & Diablo® III

(Locked)

yup, big companies are known for making found exploits and intrusions public immediately....such as MS, sony, nintendo, steam....etc etc.

corporations will keep their intrusions secret just like half the WoW players will keep the hundreds of gigs of Sh*Male p*rn on their pcs secret. dont hang your laundry to dry in the front yard.

its just funny to me that people are getting their mystical two handed warhammer of cold force shattering stolen and freaking out. Blizzard, dont expect to see my credit card again for a very long time.

Exactly. It will probably all come out eventually but like the PSN debacle, they won't tell the truth unless they absolutely HAVE to.

How long has it been now, 36 hours? I know we aren't all professionals in X field, but I am sure there are plenty of people out there that are more than qualified who would be willing to expose Blizzard on said vulnerability if they could prove it. Tell me, why has no one posted a youtube video of them doing this? Why has no one blown the whistle? Why is nobody able to recreate this "session spoofing" except the team of magical power rangers in China?
Edited by Sammich#1797 on 5/22/2012 12:54 PM PDT
https://us.battle.net/support/en/ticket/status

Login, submit a ticket.
05/22/2012 12:49 PMPosted by LoyalFish
Just got hacked.

Sorry =\

Immediately Switch to a different secure computer if you have one and change your password as soon possible, also it isn't a bad idea to open a new E-Mail account so that they have zero information to go on. Download security programs for the suspected affected computer asap and run scans.
-http://us.battle.net/support/en/article/antivirus

Change your E-Mail password to a strong, effective password. Again, from a known secure computer.
Edited by Stirbend#1795 on 5/22/2012 12:57 PM PDT
This thread is unbelievable, no matter what is said the finger is always going to be pointed back at Blizzard. Some(being nice) of the replies here show an incredible amount of ignorance regarding computer security in general, which is not a problem, as a human being you are not expected to have unlimited knowledge, especially if computing is not your thing.

The big issue here is the arrogance and self-entitlement that some of you have regardless of how ignorant you may be towards account security. I am done explaining the same thing every 3 pages, it's driving me bonkers.

You continue to believe everything told to you like a sheep.

So people said it was a keylogger--Yet nobody has been able to find this mythical thing.

Then it was phishing -- Yet plenty of security minded people have their network and computer on lockdown and know all about phishing.

Here is the problem, many people put in a ticket once they were "hacked". The CS reps said that there was no suspious activity on the account therefor they would not perform a roll back.

Let us back up and revisit this last sentence.

You have your last known logout time and your last known login time. No other login time between those two points. How then could someone have hacked logon credentials, logged in, stripped the characters, then logout?

Two options here.

One is an exploit.

Two is that there is database issues.

No one said it was one person doing the hacking with one method. That's retarded. In fact, plenty of people have said that it's probably multiple people using a combination of different attacks, both new and old. Multiple keyloggers, multiple phishes, multiple root kits. It takes a special kind of stupid to read this thread and end up saying HERP DERP MUST BE ONE SOURCE DURRRRRRRRR.

As for your theory of the issue...I'm impressed. I didn't think anyone could spend less mental effort coming up with a new theory, but you did it. You sure did it. See, the problem with your genius theory is that you don't know a damn thing about what you're talking about. You seem to think that Blizzard looks at the login pattern and sees that the player logged in, logged out, and logged in the next day and logged out after that and then somehow doesn't see logins between outside of that player's play time, yet someone is obviously logging in. First of all, that's not how it works and to even assume it's that simple of a check is the height of arrogance or stupidity, I'm not sure which. Maybe both. Second of all, you're completely ignoring an infinite amount of other possibilities, like what if the hacker is logging in from their IP, i.e. has a remote session on their computer or router? You don't even account for scenarios like that.

No wonder you're so angry. Everyone is talking circles around you and THAT is the best you can come up with.

Exactly. It will probably all come out eventually but like the PSN debacle, they won't tell the truth unless they absolutely HAVE to.

How long has it been now, 36 hours? I know we aren't all professionals in X field, but I am sure there are plenty of people out there that are more than qualified who would be willing to expose Blizzard on said vulnerability if they could prove it. Tell me, why has no one posted a youtube video of them doing this? Why has no one blown the whistle? Why is nobody able to recreate this "session spoofing" except the team of magical power rangers in China?

Absence of proof is not proof of absence.

no, and however if you spoof an IP address the packets will be send to the real (the original) IP address.

No i think it wouldn't be too far off from other hacking methods that shall not be named.

what are you talking about? some sci-fi tv show?

The burden of proof will always lie with the person claiming there is a magical pink unicorn in their garage, not the other way around.

semper necessitas probandi incumbit ei qui agit - "the necessity of proof always lies with the person who lays charges."
Edited by Sammich#1797 on 5/22/2012 1:02 PM PDT

The burden of truth will always lie with the person claiming there is a magical pink unicorn in their garage, not the other way around.

Oh great, now you've gone and hurt the unicorn's feelings. Now I have to go talk it into coming out from behind the tools.

The burden of proof will always lie with the person claiming there is a magical pink unicorn in their garage, not the other way around.

Oh great, now you've gone and hurt the unicorn's feelings. Now I have to go talk it into coming out from behind the tools.

Let me at least put my MF gear on first ;)
Edited by Sammich#1797 on 5/22/2012 1:02 PM PDT
Here is the latest response I received from Blizzard related to a different issue. To all those defending Blizzard please read and respond to my questions afterwords.

The status of your Customer Support ticket #2637xxx has changed to “Resolved.”

You can view your ticket details or check its status by clicking the link below:
<http://us.battle.net/support/ticket/thread/2637xxx>

If you can’t click the link above, copy and paste the entire URL into your browser.

This is the latest response from Customer Support:
Hello Z,

Thanks for contacting us! Unfortunately, I didn't have the opportunity to speak with you, but I certainly hope everything is going well!

At the time we have a system implemented called Battle.net secure that does what was mentioned on your petition. When an IP changes dramatically the account will be locked, preventing access from exploitative login. The authenticator, which can be downloaded for free, will add extra protection.

Should you require further assistance with this issue, please do not hesitate to resend your petition and we will be happy to review it just as soon as we are able.

Best Regards,

Game Master Korromari
Blizzard Entertainment

This leads me to believe that if my account credentials were garnered either through hack or crack or keylogger, they would still notice the IP address change and lock the account. Also, every time I have ever gone through a password change process it involves receiving an email to confirm you are the owner before allowing the change.

Question 1: How do they gain access to an account when the above mentioned IP address change should protect it?

Because it's easy enough to use a proxy to change your IP

Question 2: How do they change the password when we know they don't also have access to the email?

They don't need access to your email to change the password.

Question 3: How do they do it when someone is already logged on?

It kicks you out.

Question 4: Why is it every one of the threads except this one end up getting deleted or locked? Which also makes me wonder how long before this one is locked.

Because the people complaining are irrational.

Question 5: To assume your credentials were garnered client side and were used from another computer would imply #1 above doesn't work (still a Blizzard issue then). Explain how this could be true?

Again, anyone can spoof their IP.

Question 6: Which is more likely given the facts as we know them today: That all of the above preventions don't work and that all of your account info was gathered (including answers to secret questions) or that they are somehow gaining session ids that are already currently authenticated (post authenticator) and using/hijacking that connection to change passwords and add friends and steal items/gold?

They don't need access to your secret questions. All they need is a username and password. No one that was "hacked" had an authenticator attached, so there's no need think an absurd notion such as session id spoofing is happening. Not to mention that people have been having account issues since day one and Blizzard has never had an issue on their end, the only logical conclusion is that it's all on the end users side.
90 Human Paladin
And the debate continues to rage between the 'fanboys' and the 'tinfoilhatters'

Who will win?
This is the reply I have gotten back from the representative that helped me

"Greetings,

Checking it out, I can confirm that your Diablo III account was compromise.

First, I highly recommend making sure your account and PC are secured by following the steps on: http://us.battle.net/security/

Second, Diablo III Compromise restorations are limited. If you are okay using one of your limited restorations for this compromise, please reply back giving us your consent and we'll be happy to take care of you. :D

(((WARNING: Diablo III Restorations will roll your characters back to just before the compromise. Any progress you've made since the compromise will be lost.)))

Warm wishes,

Game Master Ashfoln
Customer Services
Blizzard Entertainment
www.blizzard.com/support
"

While I am 99.9% sure that the problem is NOT an issue on my end I am going to perform a scan change passwords (The first time EVER that I have HAD to change passwords ever) I am at least glad that the issue is being resolved even if it is costing me 1 of only 2 roll backs that we are allowed :| which I don't think is fair but it's okay I suppose at least my issue is being resolved to some degree but if it is an issue on THEIR side which I am certain it is then that just means this will happen again >:|
Here is the latest response I received from Blizzard related to a different issue. To all those defending Blizzard please read and respond to my questions afterwords.

The status of your Customer Support ticket #2637xxx has changed to “Resolved.”

You can view your ticket details or check its status by clicking the link below:
<http://us.battle.net/support/ticket/thread/2637xxx>

If you can’t click the link above, copy and paste the entire URL into your browser.

This is the latest response from Customer Support:
Hello Z,

Thanks for contacting us! Unfortunately, I didn't have the opportunity to speak with you, but I certainly hope everything is going well!

At the time we have a system implemented called Battle.net secure that does what was mentioned on your petition. When an IP changes dramatically the account will be locked, preventing access from exploitative login. The authenticator, which can be downloaded for free, will add extra protection.

Should you require further assistance with this issue, please do not hesitate to resend your petition and we will be happy to review it just as soon as we are able.

Best Regards,

Game Master Korromari
Blizzard Entertainment

This leads me to believe that if my account credentials were garnered either through hack or crack or keylogger, they would still notice the IP address change and lock the account. Also, every time I have ever gone through a password change process it involves receiving an email to confirm you are the owner before allowing the change.

Question 1: How do they gain access to an account when the above mentioned IP address change should protect it?

Because it's easy enough to use a proxy to change your IP

Question 2: How do they change the password when we know they don't also have access to the email?

They don't need access to your email to change the password.

Question 3: How do they do it when someone is already logged on?

It kicks you out.

Question 4: Why is it every one of the threads except this one end up getting deleted or locked? Which also makes me wonder how long before this one is locked.

Because the people complaining are irrational.

Question 5: To assume your credentials were garnered client side and were used from another computer would imply #1 above doesn't work (still a Blizzard issue then). Explain how this could be true?

Again, anyone can spoof their IP.

Question 6: Which is more likely given the facts as we know them today: That all of the above preventions don't work and that all of your account info was gathered (including answers to secret questions) or that they are somehow gaining session ids that are already currently authenticated (post authenticator) and using/hijacking that connection to change passwords and add friends and steal items/gold?

They don't need access to your secret questions. All they need is a username and password. No one that was "hacked" had an authenticator attached, so there's no need think an absurd notion such as session id spoofing is happening. Not to mention that people have been having account issues since day one and Blizzard has never had an issue on their end, the only logical conclusion is that it's all on the end users side.

What are you going to proxy, the end user's machine? Most ISPs block all http(s) ports from being accessed. There's no getting around something that's blocked at a level beyond what's compromised.

Just because you can Google for "proxy server" and find sites to proxy through doesn't mean it's easy to spoof an end user's IP. Most of the proxy sites have extremely limited support too (no javascript, cookies, etc.).
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]