Diablo® III

Battle.net® Account Security & Diablo® III

(Locked)

I got hacked last night and immediately changed both my email password, as well as my battle.net password. I issued a ticket and called blizzard support promptly after the incident. After a wait time of around thirty minutes I was simply hung up on. This morning I received word via email that my ticked had been elevated to an "answered" state but, unfortunately, it had been decided that my account had not been compromised and I called back support, this time getting through. The rep told me nothing can be done about this issue on the phone, and that i had to re-open my ticket at which point i did. I now have two more "answered" tickets with the consensus being my account "had thankfully not been compromised". And now I find this thread.. the irony of it is that not even ten minutes before the incident my group and I were discussing what an awesome company Blizzard is and what sets them apart from others in the industry..cough cough EA cough.. Its sad that too soon after we were all forced to eat those words.
Simply having a security program is only part of the equation. As others have pointed out in this thread, if you have Anti-virus but never update the definitions, that Anti-virus gives little to no actual security. In this case, it is clear that most if not all hacked accounts did not have an authenticator. A few people claimed they were hacked with an authenticator but more than one of these people admitted that their authenticator was setup to only require infrequent login verifications.

My authenticator requires use for each and every login attempt for Battle.net account management, forums, D3 etc. If we are dealing with a keylogger and you only have to input your authenticator code once a week (or some other infrequent input timing), then your authenticator is only providing minimal protection at best.

I would be very interested to know if anyone has been hacked that has indeed followed security measures to the letter of the law. That is:

1. Have an active Authenticator required for each and every login.
2. Have a unique alpha-numeric password that is NOT used for any other sites/games.
3. Have up-to-date virus/mal-ware programs.
4. Have not given out their password to anyone, including friends/family.
5. Have a secure E-mail address tied to Battle.net account.

I, myself, am following all of those and if my account gets hacked, I will be the first to come back here and tell everyone about it. If your account can be compromised while following those 5 things, then clearly there is a serious vulnerability that is beyond our control.

What are you going to proxy, the end user's machine? Most ISPs block all http(s) ports from being accessed. There's no getting around something that's blocked at a level beyond what's compromised.

Just because you can Google for "proxy server" and find sites to proxy through doesn't mean it's easy to spoof an end user's IP. Most of the proxy sites have extremely limited support too (no javascript, cookies, etc.).

They aren't spoofing the end user's exact machine. All they need is some IP range in the greater US.
90 Human Paladin
05/22/2012 01:14 PMPosted by War
Judging from the level of intelligence I have seen in these forums, I am going to go with it's not anyone's fault but the person who got hacked.

Looking that way, people I've played for years with on WoW who were wise enough to have Authenticators from WoW that carried over to D3, have not been hacked, nor have I
05/22/2012 12:26 AMPosted by blumps
Its sad that Blizzard still exploits their customers by means of scaring them in to buying a authenticator. While every other MMO has a set system in place FOR FREE, because they care about their customers satisfaction.

Uh ... it's free dude.
@WombBuster,

You quoted me with "tor" before deleting your post (#2320). Do you even understand what that word is, or what service they provide?

Lol, it's sheer insanity at how broken the people on this forum are. Your comment actually made me almost ruin my keyboard by spilling water on it. Thanks for the chuckle.
[quote]
No one said it was one person doing the hacking with one method. That's retarded. In fact, plenty of people have said that it's probably multiple people using a combination of different attacks, both new and old. Multiple keyloggers, multiple phishes, multiple root kits. It takes a special kind of stupid to read this thread and end up saying HERP DERP MUST BE ONE SOURCE DURRRRRRRRR.

As for your theory of the issue...I'm impressed. I didn't think anyone could spend less mental effort coming up with a new theory, but you did it. You sure did it. See, the problem with your genius theory is that you don't know a damn thing about what you're talking about. You seem to think that Blizzard looks at the login pattern and sees that the player logged in, logged out, and logged in the next day and logged out after that and then somehow doesn't see logins between outside of that player's play time, yet someone is obviously logging in. First of all, that's not how it works and to even assume it's that simple of a check is the height of arrogance or stupidity, I'm not sure which. Maybe both. Second of all, you're completely ignoring an infinite amount of other possibilities, like what if the hacker is logging in from their IP, i.e. has a remote session on their computer or router? You don't even account for scenarios like that.

No wonder you're so angry. Everyone is talking circles around you and THAT is the best you can come up with.

Sigh, kids being kids.

So even though I just explained that with a specific logout time and a specific logon time there was NO logon in between yet someone spoofed an IP and logged in ? Your logic dazzled me so much I had to put on some shades and bathe in SPF 100.
Edited by Ganelon#1321 on 5/22/2012 1:20 PM PDT
This is the reply I have gotten back from the representative that helped me

"Greetings,

Checking it out, I can confirm that your Diablo III account was compromise.

Somehow I think Blizzard representatives have a good grasp on grammar. Smells fake.

If you would like a screenshot JACK, i am more than happy to give one to you.

What are you going to proxy, the end user's machine? Most ISPs block all http(s) ports from being accessed. There's no getting around something that's blocked at a level beyond what's compromised.

Just because you can Google for "proxy server" and find sites to proxy through doesn't mean it's easy to spoof an end user's IP. Most of the proxy sites have extremely limited support too (no javascript, cookies, etc.).

They aren't spoofing the end user's exact machine. All they need is some IP range in the greater US.

Don't be retarded. They would still need to match it to the range that the user normally logs in from. You would have more luck winning the lotto 50x over than guessing what range of IPs I am normally assigned to by my ISP.

The only way you're going to get my IP is if you have access of my machine or there's a vulnerability in Blizzard's system that allows you to get an IP from someone's battle tag.
[IMG]http://postimage.org/image/p0b59my3h/[/IMG]

screenshot of my trouble ticket
Edited by ZestyCorpse#1524 on 5/22/2012 1:33 PM PDT
85 Goblin Mage
05/22/2012 12:32 PMPosted by Sammich
This thread is unbelievable, no matter what is said the finger is always going to be pointed back at Blizzard.

I blame bad parenting and raising these children as if they are perfect and never do wrong. Child gets a failing grade in school, parent blames school. Child then learns that it's never his/her fault.

=)

Don't be retarded. They would still need to match it to the range that the user normally logs in from. You would have more luck winning the lotto 50x over than guessing what range of IPs I am normally assigned to by my ISP.

The only way you're going to get my IP is if you have access of my machine or there's a vulnerability in Blizzard's system that allows you to get an IP from someone's battle tag.

You have nothing to back up your claim so you resort to attacking me instead of actual facts. Nice!
Edited by ohbechad#1171 on 5/22/2012 1:33 PM PDT
90 Draenei Paladin
You know, I hesitate to inject logic into this whole debate, BUT the same login credentials are needed for both WoW and D3.

So given there's not a sudden flood of 'My WoW account was hacked' threads, despite the 100s of people reporting a D3 hack, it doesn't look like it's a user security problem. Especially given both D3 and WoW can be logged in simultaneously on the same account.

If it were, as some people seem to love saying, a user issue/torgen/virus ect, we'd see a larger number of WoW issues. I know not everyone plays the two games, but even assuming a 50% overlap, we should see far more hack issues on the WoW forums then there are.

In fact, there's no major hack reports at all on the CS OR general forums at the moment, suggesting this issue is isolated to D3.

Which would rule out any security issues with Battle net, which is the only security lair players can interact with, or a breech of Blizz servers, since only D3 accounts are being hit, and yet WoW accounts are likely more lucrative.
The SMS project seems like a good idea, good to have if you're at work and someone tries to log on and change your password and stuff.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]