Diablo® III

Battle.net® Account Security & Diablo® III

(Locked)

So according to a blue all cases they have seen have been traditional hacking via stealing password and Logging in.

Even if every single person who claimed they were using an authenticator lied, what about all the people who submitted tickets and were told no compromise on their account took place. That alone 100% contradicts the blue's claim.

"Duh they stole your password and logged in but we have no record of anyone else logging in so... Uh... Read our security articles guys!"

Both hilarious and tragic at the same time

Pretty much what happened to me too, the exploiter, and I repeat, the exploiter, ripped off all the items / gold and deleted all my charecters. I quickly submitted a ticket and changed the password on both my email and battle.net account, where Blizzard was quick to respond that they've restored my account and performed a rollback, I logged in immediately after, and guess what nothing was changed, all my charecters and gold was still missing. Well at least Blizzard has the courtesy to stick to the gun and keep claiming that the restore has gone through perfectly fine, I even attached a few screenshots of both my heroes list and achievements list, to which they replied:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Greetings Alexander,

I am not in a position to judge my fellow game-masters.
If you've been unhappy with the services provided, please email to wowconcernseu@blizzard.com and one of our seniors will get back to you.

Thank you.

Regards,

Diguela
English Game Master
Blizzard Europe
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rather desperate right now, hoping that my bank will be able to perform a chargeback, I just might get the final laugh.

But of course, you'll all assume that I'm just lying.. Great.
Personally I think they know something is up. Maybe not everyone in customer support.

I bet they are going to find it, fix it, and then go on pretending there never was a problem.
05/22/2012 01:40 PMPosted by SirDreadlord
Blizzard has publicly stated that when logging in from a different IP address you will be asked a security question. So yes, they do need that too.

No they haven't.
So according to a blue all cases they have seen have been traditional hacking via stealing password and Logging in.

Even if every single person who claimed they were using an authenticator lied, what about all the people who submitted tickets and were told no compromise on their account took place. That alone 100% contradicts the blue's claim.

"Duh they stole your password and logged in but we have no record of anyone else logging in so... Uh... Read our security articles guys!"

Both hilarious and tragic at the same time

Pretty much what happened to me too, the exploiter, and I repeat, the exploiter, ripped off all the items / gold and deleted all my charecters. I quickly submitted a ticket and changed the password on both my email and battle.net account, where Blizzard was quick to respond that they've restored my account and performed a rollback, I logged in immediately after, and guess what nothing was changed, all my charecters and gold was still missing. Well at least Blizzard has the courtesy to stick to the gun and keep claiming that the restore has gone through perfectly fine, I even attached a few screenshots of both my heroes list and achievements list, to which they replied:

Greetings Alexander,

If you've been unhappy with the services provided, please email to wowconcernseu@blizzard.com and one of our seniors will get back to you.

Thank you.

Regards,

Diguela
English Game Master
Blizzard Europe

Rather desperate right now, hoping that my bank will be able to perform a chargeback, I just might get the final laugh.

Are you sure you just don't have the wrong region selected?
So passwords are still not case sensitive, any plans to fix this pretty big oversight?
Personally I think they know something is up. Maybe not everyone in customer support.

I bet they are going to find it, fix it, and then go on pretending there never was a problem.

... or a good samaritan will figure it out first and embarrass them publicly (like in Rift).
I am still...

No, there are no plans to fix the case sensitivity.
Edited by SLoSHeD#1704 on 5/22/2012 1:54 PM PDT
120 pages and not even 18 hours since this thread was made.
05/22/2012 01:51 PMPosted by tman
So passwords are still not case sensitive, any plans to fix this pretty big oversight?

No, it's not an oversight, more of a feature. Too much CS time was spent explaining to customers that they just need to turn caps lock off to access their account, removing case sensitivity made everything more efficient.

Another system was put in place to identify and prevent brute force password attempts.

Any plans on reading the entire thread before posting things that have already been addressed?
Edited by Sammich#1797 on 5/22/2012 1:57 PM PDT
You know, I hesitate to inject logic into this whole debate, BUT the same login credentials are needed for both WoW and D3.

So given there's not a sudden flood of 'My WoW account was hacked' threads, despite the 100s of people reporting a D3 hack, it doesn't look like it's a user security problem. Especially given both D3 and WoW can be logged in simultaneously on the same account.

If it were, as some people seem to love saying, a user issue/torgen/virus ect, we'd see a larger number of WoW issues. I know not everyone plays the two games, but even assuming a 50% overlap, we should see far more hack issues on the WoW forums then there are.

In fact, there's no major hack reports at all on the CS OR general forums at the moment, suggesting this issue is isolated to D3.

Which would rule out any security issues with Battle net, which is the only security lair players can interact with, or a breech of Blizz servers, since only D3 accounts are being hit, and yet WoW accounts are likely more lucrative.

The 3rd party Diablo 3 emulater project used to require your battle.net login information early in the D3 beta. Numerous people bought d3 beta accounts via d2jsp, ebay, paypal as well. I am thinking that could have something to do with the people getting hacked.

His claim is extremely reasonable.

I also never played the closed beta so cross me off that list. I only played it during the open weekend and Blizzard could easily verify that if push came to shove.
There is absolutely no doubt that some people were legitimately hacked in one of the normal fashions. However, there are tons of cases where none of the normal reasons make sense.
05/22/2012 01:51 PMPosted by tman

Case sensitivity does nothing. Go read pages 30-40 or so to learn why.
still waiting on my rollback, 3 days later

I envy you so badly.

The fact that you have a chance to get your money back.

On a different note, Blizzard releases buggy game with BAD DRM.

Blames players for being incompetent for not using authenticator. DRM Doesn't do its job, "Other security measures" doesn't do its job. I log in to today after making 300k, I'm left with 981 and all my legendaries?

Some hacker leaves the legendaries and all my MF gear, but takes my gold?

RMAH is going to be filled with chinese hackers taking our gold? Or is it blizzard?
This problem wouldn't occur if you guys bought their Authenticator.

Greetings Alexander,

Thank you.

Regards,

Diguela
English Game Master
Blizzard Europe

Are you sure you just don't have the wrong region selected?

Yep I'm completely certain, I've only played on the EU servers, only entered Americas and Asien servers once, to check for what you just asked me, jumps directly to charecter creation screen, and an empty heroes list.

I find it very concerning that they keep sticking to the gun, telling me that they've rolledback my account to a date prior to the compromise, yet nothing has changed.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Greetings,

You are receiving this message as we have found that your account has become compromised.

I have investigated the issue, and it appears that your account has been compromised using a key logger or trojan virus, or through an e-mail or website phishing scam. The first thing you should do before logging in again, is follow the Security Checklist on our Account Security Site, which can be found at:

http://eu.battle.net/security/

For more information about this topic, you can visit our Blizzard Customer Support Videos:

http://www.youtube.com/blizzardtutorial

and choose the video:

“WoW - What to do after being hacked

Please note that interactive guides are available in English but subtitles for other languages can be activated by clicking on the CC button below the video.

We have performed a roolback on your account to a point just prior to your account being compromised, so you should have your losses returned now. As your account has been compromised, your battle.net account will now neeed an authenticator attached before the Diablo 3 Real Money Auction house can be used. It is important to note that if your account is compromised again in the future, we will only be able to perform a rolback like this one more time.

Regards,

Game Master Sliotha
In-Game Services
Blizzard Entertainment Europe
<http://eu.blizzard.com/support>

21/5/2012 14:56
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alexander

Thank you for the quick response,

As a precaution I've changed my password on both my email and battle.net account, but I just tried entering my account, and seems like the rollback didn't work? My witch doctor and gold is still missing, there might have been a mistake?

To me it smells like Blizzard is well aware that something is going on on their behalf, but of course it's a company it wouldn't want this kind of information to leave closed doors, I fully understand that.
I've spit 500+ € worth into the company, through WoW subscription|D2+expansion x 2| Wc3+expansion x 2. After all, this is of no matter to their customer service I guess.
I never played the beta, I don't play WoW (though I did and have a battle.net account from way back then). I'm just aggravated with how unhelpful yet chipper the CS person who responded was. Hey, good news, you weren't hacked /high five. He actually typed "/high five"!!!! Well guess what, my !@#$ is gone.

Its kind of like if I came home to an empty house and the cops came and said "your windows and doors are in place and not broken, looks like you weren't robbed." UH EVERYTHING IS GONE!!!!
05/22/2012 02:00 PMPosted by rongav
This problem wouldn't occur if you guys bought their Authenticator.

This problem wouldnt occur you just spent more money. You make it sound like blizzard is hacking the accounts that don't use authenticators. Unstable servers is the problem here, dont be confused.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]