Diablo® III

Battle.net® Account Security & Diablo® III

(Locked)

Take a look around the forums, this is a controlled incident. 3 million players in America alone bought Diablo III on release day. If every single person who used a public game was vulnerable to a battle.net exploit these forums would be raining in threads, the front page would never stop being spammed, eventually the service would crash.

Just look at the numbers, look at the numbers and speculate. It doesn't add up to millions.

Yes because only america plays diablo 3.

Grow up.
85 Worgen Hunter
05/22/2012 02:22 PMPosted by pug
Have you not realized 99% of all the people claiming to be hacked are lying and trolling Blizzard?

Yeah, sure, a Eurogamer reporter (without authenticator) and a examiner reporter (with authenticator) are trolling blizzard.

Try to read some news about this outside the forums and you'll realize the proportion things are!
Me too lol lvl 2 barb with 20 hours of gameplay. sigh.
Take a look around the forums, this is a controlled incident. 3 million players in America alone bought Diablo III on release day. If every single person who used a public game was vulnerable to a battle.net exploit these forums would be raining in threads, the front page would never stop being spammed, eventually the service would crash.

Just look at the numbers, look at the numbers and speculate. It doesn't add up to millions.

Yes because only america plays diablo 3.

Grow up.

Are you serious? I in no way implied that, perhaps you should go cool off.
The reason the sample size is small is probably because the group of hackers is small. You do realize they have to transfer the gear and gold off of each character that they hack. It's not like they can instantly send all the gold from the entire server to their account.
05/22/2012 02:32 PMPosted by Fuinacius
Have you not realized 99% of all the people claiming to be hacked are lying and trolling Blizzard?

Yeah, sure, a Eurogamer reporter (without authenticator) and a examiner reporter (with authenticator) are trolling blizzard.

Try to read some news about this outside the forums and you'll realize the proportion things are!

reporters have certainly never told a lie or fabricated a story to be the first person with the news.

There are infiltrations in MILLIONS.

Whos to say millions of people are getting hacked and they dont report it?

What about different regions other than the americas?

Take a look around the forums, this is a controlled incident. FOR EXAMPLE 3 million players in America alone bought Diablo III on release day. If every single person who used a public game was vulnerable to a battle.net exploit these forums would be raining in threads, the front page would never stop being spammed, eventually the service would crash.

05/22/2012 02:29 PMPosted by Aksha
I don't see why you call the players ignorant. How would there be millions already? IT takes them time to loot each persons account >_>, but if something doesn't get fixed soon I can see more and more people getting hacked.

The world "ignorant" is not an insult, it simply means you lack knowledge over a subject.

ig·no·rant/ˈignərənt/
Adjective:
Lacking knowledge or awareness in general; uneducated or unsophisticated.

explain to me how this is not an insult. you are basically calling people stupid

edit:anyway, they can't hack everyone at once. I assure you though that the number of users hacked will keep growing if something doesn't get fixed soon
Edited by JAB#1213 on 5/22/2012 2:37 PM PDT

Take a look around the forums, this is a controlled incident. FOR EXAMPLE 3 million players in America alone bought Diablo III on release day. If every single person who used a public game was vulnerable to a battle.net exploit these forums would be raining in threads, the front page would never stop being spammed, eventually the service would crash.

The world "ignorant" is not an insult, it simply means you lack knowledge over a subject.

ig·no·rant/ˈignərənt/
Adjective:
Lacking knowledge or awareness in general; uneducated or unsophisticated.

explain to me how this is not an insult. you are basically calling people stupid

No, I specifically used ignorant. Calling someone stupid would imply that they knew better but did it anyway. It's not my problem if you don't know the difference.
Edited by Sammich#1797 on 5/22/2012 2:37 PM PDT
I got my account hacked a few hours ago. I haven't played in a public game at all, additionally I changed my bnet password when d3 came out, so any possible phishing attempt from the past would have been nullified by this. I will admit that I didn't have an authenticator attached however(my mistake, this has been rectified). Thankfully my chars weren't deleted, just the 350k that I'd earned so far was stolen.

Also, the idiot that took my money left his account friended with mine for a while so i was able to get his bnet name 'xxxbbb9' <-- a lot of help that does, I'm sure. All I want is my money back and I'll just carry on.

This whole thing is ridiculous however. I have never once had an account hacked in 15 years of online gaming. I'm not one of the "offline mode naow!" crowd, so don't go accusing me of that, but clearly blizzard screwed up horribly and they need to own up to the mistake on THEIR end. There are FAR too many reports of this happening to be a client issue only. Even a writer from Eurogamer got his accnt hacked, so clearly this isn't some orchestrated plot by a particular faction to get an offline mode.
I got hacked 3 times when I used to play wow. The first time no authenticator. A month later I get an email saying my acct is locked and to contact customer service. I did and they said my acct was compromised again and said I had to add an authenticator before they would unlock my acct. so I got the mobile one for my iPhone. A week later I'm hacked and all my stuff is gone, again with an authenticator. So yes it can happen. I quit playing wow mostly because of that and I really hope the same bs doesn't happen with diablo.
I got my account hacked a few hours ago. I haven't played in a public game at all, additionally I changed my bnet password when d3 came out, so any possible phishing attempt from the past would have been nullified by this. I will admit that I didn't have an authenticator attached however(my mistake, this has been rectified). Thankfully my chars weren't deleted, just the 350k that I'd earned so far was stolen.

Also, the idiot that took my money left his account friended with mine for a while so i was able to get his bnet name 'xxxbbb9' <-- a lot of help that does, I'm sure. All I want is my money back and I'll just carry on.

This whole thing is ridiculous however. I have never once had an account hacked in 15 years of online gaming. I'm not one of the "offline mode naow!" crowd, so don't go accusing me of that, but clearly blizzard screwed up horribly and they need to own up to the mistake on THEIR end. There are FAR too many reports of this happening to be a client issue only. Even a writer from Eurogamer got his accnt hacked, so clearly this isn't some orchestrated plot by a particular faction to get an offline mode.

+1
05/22/2012 02:05 PMPosted by Oficerfriend
Woot now they are getting even more press: http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Diablo-3-Hacked-Accounts-Reason-Enough-An-Offline-Mode-42755.html

It's crap like that "article" that perpetuates the problem. Posting an article full of unsubstantiated facts is a load of crap.

They mention claims of being hacked with an authenticator but both writers mentioned in the article did not use them, and so far not a single legit claim has been shown of this.

Honestly, Blizz should start banning people who post false claims of being hacked with authenticators. Creating a hysteria never helps a problem get solved.

This is not an unusual number of hacked accounts.

This EXACT same thing happened when the new battle.net was implemented. Tons of people had keyloggers on their computers, but because they had "remember my account" checked in WoW, they never actually typed their account name anywhere. Then when they were forced to type in their new battle.net email instead of account name, the keyloggers (which were there for days, weeks, months, even years) captured everything and hackers had a field day of new information. Same old same old. People who never had to enter their login information for days, weeks, months, or longer all of a sudden had to enter it at least once in the brand new D3 login screen. They put it all out there for keyloggers to grab. That explains the number of compromises being high, but not so high as to indicate a real hacker actually hacking Blizzard's servers.

The main point of that is hundreds or thousands of people were hacked. It was a backlog of people who had their computers compromised over a long period of time, but all of their login details were only compromised when they had to enter their full login information for the first time in days, weeks, months, or longer. End result was a *huge* number of occurrences....but it wasn't due to anything new or any server exploit or game exploit. Just your average, run of the mill, traditional methods like keyloggers and phishing.
Man I don't know what to believe now lol... neither me nor my friends got hacked... and we've played public games, and our computers are by no means 'spyware free'...

:O
90 Gnome Mage

...Sweet Jesus, not to be rude, but if you have the name of the person who hacked you why are you lazily posting it on the forums instead of directly calling support and passing what you know along so they can get to the bottom of it?

Seriously, I would like to know if it's safe to play the game, and half of you guys who say you were hacked aren't even contacting support by phone you're here complaining on the forums to the poor mods who really cannot help you as much as support can. The forum CMs are passing information along, they are not support. Contact customer support, they can reverse the damage done, and find out who the money/items were traded to(and how many times that gold was traded around).

Withholding that information makes you a part of the problem, not the solution. Posting that information here gives the hackers a heads up to what you do know.

I'm really just scratching my head right now. Is it the shock of being hacked that makes you think to post about it before dialing a number?
...Sweet Jesus, not to be rude, but if you have the name of the person who hacked you why are you lazily posting it on the forums instead of directly calling support and passing what you know along so they can get to the bottom of it?

Seriously, I would like to know if it's safe to play the game, and half of you guys who say you were hacked aren't even contacting support by phone you're here complaining on the forums to the poor mods who really cannot help you as much as support can. The forum CMs are passing information along, they are not support. Contact customer support, they can reverse the damage done, and find out who the money/items were traded to(and how many times that gold was traded around).

Withholding that information makes you a part of the problem, not the solution. Posting that information here gives the hackers a heads up to what you do know.

I'm really just scratching my head right now. Is it the shock of being hacked that makes you think to post about it before dialing a number?

Phone call queue is full. Please call later.

we cannot call without an hour long wait. Also ticket replies can take over 24 hours.. You have to remember how slow their customer support is
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]