Diablo® III

Battle.net® Account Security & Diablo® III

(Locked)

By the way to the user called pug -

AWESOME NAME!

I would have called mine Milamber but I was too lazy to type that many letters.

The same people who engineer keyloggers purely to steal WoW items and gold? Maybe?

There's a reason these people stick to video game accounts. The legal repercussions should they be caught are significantly less than if they steal credit card information or anything else of real monetary value. They can earn a good living sticking to low-risk video games, so they do.

Why aren't they using the opportunity to steal WoW items and gold too then?

Also, most of these hackers are in China. Do you really think American law affects them in the slightest? Do you really think the FBI can just go to China and charge people for internet crime? Get real.

They probably are stealing WoW accounts and items. But right now, D3 is the big kid on the playground. Who wants to steal stuff that they can't sell when there's all of D3 to play with?

I don't know where most of the hackers are because they're often very hard or impossible to trace, since people tend to remove their keyloggers and be done with it. Chinese hackers is more of a xenophobic stereotype than anything substantial.
05/21/2012 11:23 PMPosted by Wim
My only point was that if there is a vulnerability, it's not in the authentication. I don't want people reading this thinking that an authenticator is not foolproof - it pretty much is... and if your friend had settings requiring authentication every time she logs on, the apparent keylogger would not have compromised her d3 account.

Actually, it was her WoW account that got hacked, well over a year ago, not D3. As for the authenticator being secure, I did find news on the web at the saying that authenticator had indeed been hacked, whether the news was true or not, I can't say. But either way, I believe my friend got hacked because of a virus/keylogger she had, not because of the authenticator.

Also, at the time, even tho her character had been stripped and deleted, Blizzard still said that they showed no log ins other than her own. But clearly someone hacked her account, we all knew that, and I believe they used their access to her computer to somehow achieve that.
05/21/2012 11:23 PMPosted by Bootes

Evidence? No. Of !@#$ing course there is none: thats the entire point of this tactic, as IT LEAVES NO EVIDENCE.

In fact, thats exactly the point: In anything client-related, there is a thief and use of login credentials. They are litterally login in, just from a different IP, something Blizz can track.

In this case, there have been multiple confirmed CS reports of players loosing everything but no suspicious activity nor third party logins were detected by Blizzard.

Now you are accusing ppl of being Google happy... i would suggest you Google some more actually, because you dont seem to understand what is going on here.

First of all, I have a CCNP Security, so I know a bit about what we're discussing.

Second of all, and more importantly, if there is no evidence, then shut the fck up until you have some.

Look, make no mistake.. I have a ton of sympathy for people who have been hacked. What I don't have any sympathy for is this hive-mind Blizz-bashing for which there is absolutely no evidence.

Super, awesome, there is no evidence it is not a Blizzard security flaw either. So by your own rules, where is your proof?
05/21/2012 11:23 PMPosted by Phyzik
I ran Super Anti Spyware minutes after it happened thinking that I might have been compromised.... All it came up with are the usual adware.tracking cookies that are all false positives...

Did you run it in safe mode? Did you run it with the login screen open and gibberish typed in? Because some keyloggers are completely dormant and undetectable until you start entering your login information. Did you do that scan while in safe mode? Scan for rootkits? In safe mode? Did you do all of this while not connected to the internet? Did you do malware scans?

Did you do any of the dozens of other scans you need to do? Do you realize that even if you did ever possible scan, there's still a possibility of finding nothing, especially because lots of keyloggers nuke themselves after stealing information, and because a lot of this may be due to phishing?
By the way to the user called pug -

AWESOME NAME!

I would have called mine Milamber but I was too lazy to type that many letters.

I actually named myself after the DotA hero, which turns out I remembered his name wrong and it was Pudge, not Pug, which then reminded me how much alcohol I used to drink when I played (lost at) DotA lol. Pudge is also the Act 1 boss in D3.
Edited by pug#1606 on 5/21/2012 11:33 PM PDT

Why aren't they using the opportunity to steal WoW items and gold too then?

Also, most of these hackers are in China. Do you really think American law affects them in the slightest? Do you really think the FBI can just go to China and charge people for internet crime? Get real.

They probably are stealing WoW accounts and items. But right now, D3 is the big kid on the playground. Who wants to steal stuff that they can't sell when there's all of D3 to play with?

I don't know where most of the hackers are because they're often very hard or impossible to trace, since people tend to remove their keyloggers and be done with it. Chinese hackers is more of a xenophobic stereotype than anything substantial.

It's not a stereotype. Finding a good job is hard in China, and doing hacking and gold farming is huge business there. I'm not implying everyone in China is a scumbag or something. To them, it's just how they eat at the end of the day.

Also, you can sell WoW gold and items RIGHT NOW. D3's real money auction house hasn't gone live yet so all of these items and gold that have been stolen are sitting there uselessly.
90 Blood Elf Priest
05/21/2012 11:30 PMPosted by YukariOro
I did find news on the web at the saying that authenticator had indeed been hacked, whether the news was true or not, I can't say.

The only way to "hack" an authenticator is with "Man in the middle attack"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man-in-the-middle_attack
In this case

First of all, I have a CCNP Security, so I know a bit about what we're discussing.

Second of all, and more importantly, if there is no evidence, then shut the fck up until you have some.

Look, make no mistake.. I have a ton of sympathy for people who have been hacked. What I don't have any sympathy for is this hive-mind Blizz-bashing for which there is absolutely no evidence.

Super, awesome, there is no evidence it is not a Blizzard security flaw either. So by your own rules, where is your proof?

Unfortunately in this case the hive mind is more than likely correct. It is happening to thousands of players, many of whom are using authenticators. It may be that it is possible to predict the numbers for an authenticator, but that is still a flaw in blizzards system that needs to be acknowledged and fixed.

lol, that's why I said I can't say whether the news was true or not, that is one subject I don't have enough knowledge on to say yea or nay. =)

I've learned a lot of basic stuff about Windows out of necessity and can easily do clean installs after years of practice and manually upgrading my computer myself over time, but authenticators, nope lol.
Edited by YukariOro#1263 on 5/21/2012 11:36 PM PDT
I was sent a phishing email on the 16th saying I was trying to sell my wow account, and I need to visit the link to confirm my personnel info, or else my account would be suspended.

First I don't play wow and it just looked shady, and I clicked no links.

2nd this is my first blizzard game (diablo 3).

What I want to know is how someone got my email address that quickly? to try to scam me, the game was only out for less the 24 hours.

Good luck to everyone who has been compromised.
People have to understand this is probably a combination of things.
I'm pretty sure there are quite some people who DID get keylogged.

But I'm also quite certain there's many more who didn't. The , lack of proof is pretty much the proof here. If there's no suspicious account activity, how can you've been keylogged?

Another question to those who've been hacked and have WoW:

Was it just your Diablo III stuff that was robbed, or did your WoW stuff got stolen too?
It they would have simply been able to steal your password, shouldn't they have access to that too?
Might be more work for them too check if the player even has WoW, but it is possible they would go looting there too.

It's not a stereotype. Finding a good job is hard in China, and doing hacking and gold farming is huge business there. I'm not implying everyone in China is a scumbag or something. To them, it's just how they eat at the end of the day.

Also, you can sell WoW gold and items RIGHT NOW. D3's real money auction house hasn't gone live yet so all of these items and gold that have been stolen are sitting there uselessly.

Well, technically, they may be using 3rd party sites again. I highly doubt they'd use the RMAH.
FACT: 20% of online gamers have their user/pass on community forums the same as the user/pass for online games they play. This is why they are "hacked" and blame "Blizzard".

Source: http://www.guildwarsguru.com/forum/2-million-ncsoft-accounts-stolen-t10439435.html?p=5161538#post5161538
Edited by pug#1606 on 5/21/2012 11:37 PM PDT
90 Blood Elf Priest

lol, that's why I said I can't say whether the news was true or not, that is one subject I don't have enough knowledge on to say yea or nay. =)

It is theoretically possible, but the chances of someone being the victim of it is incredibly remote

No, it's a stereotype, because there is no real evidence to say that a lot, most, all, or any definitive number of hackers come from China.

Sounding like it can be true does not mean it is true. Similar to that idiotic idea that there's a login spoof. With no real evidence to back it up, it's just speculation and failing at logic and thinking that correlation implies causation (which it doesn't.)

Edit: And in fact, since Blizzard just posted to say that they're not compromised, it's pretty dang clear that there's no login spoof.

Edit again: You can sell WoW stuff on blackmarket sites. That's where they'd be selling D3 items at this point in time.
Edited by bulreporting#1806 on 5/21/2012 11:39 PM PDT
05/21/2012 11:33 PMPosted by Chilith
I did find news on the web at the saying that authenticator had indeed been hacked, whether the news was true or not, I can't say.

Unless of course the authenticator isn't being hacked at all. Which implies an exploit. As you've shown, in any normal scenario it's nearly impossible to bypass an authenticator even if you've given the hacker your account name AND password willingly.
I ran Super Anti Spyware minutes after it happened thinking that I might have been compromised.... All it came up with are the usual adware.tracking cookies that are all false positives...

Did you run it in safe mode? Did you run it with the login screen open and gibberish typed in? Because some keyloggers are completely dormant and undetectable until you start entering your login information. Did you do that scan while in safe mode? Scan for rootkits? In safe mode? Did you do all of this while not connected to the internet? Did you do malware scans?

Did you do any of the dozens of other scans you need to do? Do you realize that even if you did ever possible scan, there's still a possibility of finding nothing, especially because lots of keyloggers nuke themselves after stealing information, and because a lot of this may be due to phishing?

Please, my I/T department also subscribes to Avast! enterprise edition which is basically a BART loader.... Completely seperate from the OS.... Im not some 2-bit !@#$ing newb that thinks he knows some %^-*. I track this stuff down on a daily basis, even going so far as checking for pre-load files in the windows directory that would cause a malware infection to just re-appear even after a complete scan.

I even have a dummy system sitting right next to me with a USB connector to hook up a HDD and scan it completely seperate from its origional system.
Edited by Phyzik#1116 on 5/21/2012 11:40 PM PDT
Was it just your Diablo III stuff that was robbed, or did your WoW stuff got stolen too?
It they would have simply been able to steal your password, shouldn't they have access to that too?
Might be more work for them too check if the player even has WoW, but it is possible they would go looting there too.

As far as I know, no. This seems to be isolated to D3.
Blizz is currently locking all I've been hacked forum posts Lol. They trying to hide the fact its exploits hardcore
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]