Diablo® III

A viable melee Demon hunter

Now I'm not saying it's the best, nor am I saying it trumps ranged; It is a perfectly viable build as I am abusing it right now in Hell, and I've got random people saying its interesting, to say the least.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#ZhVXdT!VfT!YbYZbZ

Explanation:

Impale (Awareness) - This build runs on no offensive hatred generator, when I run out of hatred, I simply normal attack until Impale is available again. Awareness splashes the mob around me.

Fan Of Knives (Hail of Knives) - Works with numbling traps

SS/Preparation - Yes, I am using this combo, and I feel like a melee build benefits most from this combo: The premise is to go straight into the middle of a mob start impaling everybody and attack while I am in my SS cycle

Vault - When I run out of my unlimited SS cycle, this is for that emergency to get away until Prepartion is off cooldown

Companion (Bat) - Because I'm not using any offensive hatred generator, this is my only hatred generation, and it works much better then in writing. When running out of Awareness Impales, I usually attack for a good 3 times before I can impale again, and it does a ton of damage.

Perfectionist/Sharpshooter - Perfectionist is self explanatory for SS/Prep, Sharpshooter is not as useless as most thinks, and especially used with Impale, I usually kill enemies including mobs very quickly, fueling SS/Prep as well.

Most of my gear stats are for DEX, VIT, Crit in that order

The thing about the SS/Prep combo is that, The mob is usually surrounding me regardless, when using the combo in range, this usually happens. Which is why I feel melee is really effective with the SS cycle. Even in group play, I become a sort of psuedo tank becuase when my SS disappears, they all surround me and I SS again, while my friends are afar disintegrating them with beams.

Thanks for reading~
Edited by Katwna#1730 on 6/10/2012 7:16 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Why?
Reply Quote

Why?

Why not? I worked hard to figure out a viable melee build, and even though a lot of people say there isnt much Viability despite what Blizzard says, I'm saying THERE IS a possibility for creativity to say the least.

Plus I'm enjoying the game trying out new things, and right now, I'm doing pretty damn well in Hell with this build, and I just wanted to share, so I don't think there's a crime for that.
Reply Quote
WTF do you do for hatred gen after you burn it in 3 seconds from impale spam? Stand there and look pretty?
Reply Quote
Dude.. all you have to do is replace vault with tinkering grenades and you can crazy fast hatred regen. Or switch your bat for tinker grenades. Then you can switch sharpshooter for grenadier and have RIDICULOUS hatred regen.
Reply Quote
Creative idea - I may try it out with my male version of the DH
Reply Quote
Honestly, I don't think you can claim a build is "viable" just because it does ok in hell act 2... Let me know how you do vs elites in inferno with this build.
Reply Quote
05/21/2012 10:05 PMPosted by Aphasia
Honestly, I don't think you can claim a build is "viable" just because it does ok in hell act 2... Let me know how you do vs elites in inferno with this build.

hey... before the game came out everyone was 100% positive that it wouldn't work past normal, and he's in hell. If people can beat inferno solo with ranged demon hunters 5 days after it comes out, they can do it with melee demons hunter within a few months.
Edited by Snowbird#1742 on 5/21/2012 10:17 PM PDT
Reply Quote
WTF do you do for hatred gen after you burn it in 3 seconds from impale spam? Stand there and look pretty?

You normal attack, obviously. Yes, it sounds weak, but with sharpshooter and high DPS/Dex, you shouldnt doubt normal attack. Its 100 % normal weapon damage, something people overlook.

Bat generates hatred fast enough for you to use impale every few normal attacks; how do I know? I USE this build. There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with not being able to generate hatred, especially when normal attack itself is decent. The few second wait for a next 250% impale plus splash damage is WORTH it.

Dude.. all you have to do is replace vault with tinkering grenades and you can crazy fast hatred regen. Or switch your bat for tinker grenades. Then you can switch sharpshooter for grenadier and have RIDICULOUS hatred regen.

Sounds like a great idea :D Another build can benefit from grenades and regen here, see?

05/21/2012 10:05 PMPosted by Nap
Creative idea - I may try it out with my male version of the DH

Try it out!! Alot of people like to critic without constructively without even trying it, and Honestly, Idc. Thanks ~

05/21/2012 10:05 PMPosted by Aphasia

I'm in Hell.... Am i not allowed to call any build I play well with "viable"??
Reply Quote
88 Blood Elf Death Knight
I love how you're at least being honest about how the whole point of this thread is you trying to be efamous by "coining" stupid build #71244.
Reply Quote
impale is a secondary skill not primary...
Reply Quote
This looks pretty fun. Currently I'm in NM Act2 just pewpewing away with Elemental Arrow (Ball Lightning), tossing Impales whenever something with more than 5k hp appears. I might give it whirl, but I'd definitely use grenades as a hate gen. They always seemed crappy as a ranged skill (slow travel time, then delay on exploding). Probably get rid of the bat.

05/21/2012 10:59 PMPosted by Qbit
impale is a secondary skill not primary...

Elective mode. How do you think he has three Hunting skills, and Defensive in a different slot? Also, nowhere does the OP state that Impale is a Primary skill either... -1, try again.
Reply Quote
Why knock the build so badly?
Good to see we can at least experiment with builds, which I really didn't think was going to be possible.
Looking forward to giving this a crack. Props to the OP for giving it a go.
Reply Quote
Doable but feedback to us for Inferno. :)
Reply Quote
Thanks everyonee.

I'll finish up hell soon, and when I get to inferno and try to make a viable melee build there, maybe i'll come with videos to see if this will really work.

see ya Till then
Reply Quote
you are not doing any melee seriously ....

The following build work best with monk mantra of evasion.
Also, take a shield with high block chance... (20% is minimum),
and make sure you gain life per hit (starting from +200/strike & 1.8 Atk/s ).

Get yourself heal with preparation, and off tank to your teammates with smokescreen when your health is low.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#.UXVhg!gaV!.YZbZY
Reply Quote
lol, good luck now that SS has been nerfed.

Its call using "gloom"..ya know the thing that gives us 65% DR?

Its extremely viable and I'm sitting at 55 Demon hunter myself who walks into melee combat. The only difference is I use twin chakram, because at point blank on a mob (at the right angle) thats x2 hits at 101% damage.

My build is more based on the style of a "hammerdin" (before enigma made it OP), and I'm current spamming stun grenades. The biggest thing you have to make sure with this build is having a large amount of hp and resistances. Which the same could be said for any melee in hell - inferno mode.

I agree that retaliate with FoK is godly, though fan of daggers is useful too for the stun. The best part, like another person stated somewhere around here on the forums is FoK + gloom = full hp. The biggest problem I have honestly is I have to much hate, and nothing to really use it up on.

I did try using impale in left mouse, chakram on right mouse..but that depleted my hate lol way to fast.

Another must have for any variation on a demon hunter being near or in melee combat is preparation with battle scars.

In terms of inferno, I'm still hearing the same whining in regards to its difficulty with every single class. Besides the fact its made this way..perhaps you won't get one shoted if you know the proper HP required to not be one shoted. Seems like most people I've talked to who've completed inferno have anywhere between 50-100k hp.

What I'd like to know, is at what dex level are you able to see "dodge" in inferno. I've had about 1.2k dex before, and did quite a bit of dodges in hell mode.

Though probably the biggest thing I'd like to know is what is the max shield block rate? I've been hearing pretty much nothing on this, and from what it looks like its only 35%??

Also knowing the max DR rate would be nice as well...I believe in d2 it was 65%...prior to it getting nerfed to oblivion.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the advantage of having a shield. Yup...there's actually an advantage to having a shield. Besides the fact you absorb damage with it, i've found shields that have demon hunter only affixes on them. So the biggest loss using a shield in place of a quiver is the 10% ias.......which is typically used for slow xbows lol. I never recall having an attack speed issue with a bow, hand cross bow.

I would also recommend anyone who tries any variation of what's stated above to use weapons with a good base attack speed. Swords/daggers/axes.
Edited by Silvist#1399 on 5/24/2012 1:08 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I am using a few different skill selects, like no ss, but Melee DH is so fun :) I used to play melee zon in hardcore, which rocked after you got sigon set and a series of items ready to fly. Totally lame to only use a one handed sword at first...then I was iffy on if I liked a shield..but now I'm starting to think that looks cool with it. wish I could dye it though.
Reply Quote
view my profile

/e slower wep = chakram is spam is still + hatred or at very least hatred neutral, if went faster would use ss 12 hate/sec rune. tried both, prefer slower
Edited by enigma#1886 on 8/6/2012 6:50 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]