Diablo® III

The Black Plot-holestone.

05/25/2012 01:52 AMPosted by Scorch
How is it that Zoltun Kulle couldn't be killed by the Horardrim, but could be by us so easily? He didn't even do any of the things mentioned he was doing to them in the lore books (blood turning to sand, eluding them, casting curses on them, etc.). He just didn't seem to live up to that image of power (especially when his fight mostly involves dealing with adds instead of directly with him).

because we are a lot stronger than the horadrim, plus we dont know that hes actually dead, he just kind of exploded ina puff of smoke.

When you destroy the original soulstones in Diablo 2, it is said that the souls of the prime evils return to the Black Abyss where they were formed and it is implied that this is part of Hell from which all demons are spawned. In the book of Cain demons are formed from the husk of Tathamet, being the lands of Hell itself, and that the Black Abyss is some empty void of an area outside both Heaven and Hell, but it's still where their souls went after the stones were destroyed... Cain even describes how a black void opens to pull their souls in after the stones are shattered on the Hellforge. How the hell are their souls around in Sanctuary for Adria to "mark" so they will be absorbed into the Black Soulstone? The only ones that that makes sense for is Andariel and Duriel since they didn't have soulstones.

maybe she went ahead of us rather than followed us? after all, if she was working for Diablo, she would essentially have an "all-access pass" to the demon controlled lands

If the prime and lesser evil's souls were lingering in Sanctuary to be marked by Adria then why has everything been quiet for 20 years? They would have been up to their old schemes of corrupting mankind like they did before the Horadrim trapped them.

because they were in the black soulstone.

And how did Adria even track them down if they were capable of moving freely without being imprisoned in the stones? Surely they were all unwillingly captured in the Black Soulstone so how did they somehow get outwitted by this random witch?

because they didnt know? as far as the demons knew (except Diablo) she was just his witch that did stuff for him. they all had their cults and minions.

What happens when something falls from Heaven like that? Does it really just fall down to Sanctuary? It's always been implied that Heaven and Hell are physically in some far-off corner of the universe far away from Sanctuary so that wouldn't make sense. It seemed like the only reason Tyrael fell to Sanctuary was because that is where he was intending on going after turning himself mortal. Would the Black Soulstone just be floating around in the emptiness of space now? In that case couldn't seven Evils just get out easily and make their way back to Hell?

because theyre parallel "planes" of existance. and they happen to be based off of the Christian (mostly) definitions, which place them, physically, as above and below us.

Why did they allow the Black Soulstone to fall like that? It was stressed multiple times that it wouldn't be able to contain all of those powerful demon's souls for very long so they should have shattered it like Adria was faking to want to do, right? Wouldn't they all just be able to escape the stone and come back now?

how would you have stopped it? he fell off the cliff then disintegrated.

Why didn't Diablo or Adria just kill Tyrael when they had the chance, and how do our characters just stand by and let this crap happen and where does she go and what does she do after Diablo is destroyed (again)?

wait for ther expansion. its called a cliffhanger.
Reply Quote
and soon because the plot device of the Black Soulstone and its surrounding story elements didn't make a whole lot of sense...
The answer to all of your questions is that we are just supposed to take everything that is presented to us as the new canon. We can sit here all day long trying to reason this out, but the truth is that Blizzard didn't do that themselves and we're wasting our time. Remember the Red Shirt Guy from Blizzcon? They aren't keeping track of lore and expect us to just accept everything at face value.
Reply Quote
First off, the souls of the Primes weren't in the Black soulstone for 20 years, the Black soulstone wasnt even FINISHED untill we revived Kulle and he completed it, at wich point the souls of the 5 evil rushed into it, thus Kulle's WTF reaction when we catch up to him. the stone struggled to contain the 5-6 souls during 2 acts of the game(With Leah using her powers to help), it would have been impossible for it to hold 5 Evils for 20 years.

Second, the Black Soulstone was never meant to store the soul of the Prime evils in particular, let alone all 7, Kulle made it to store the souls of any demons or angels so he could try to fill his empty heart.

Finally, did Adria really mark the souls of the 5 Evils herself? at the time she claims she spent the last 20 years doing that, shes still trying to hide her allegiance to Diablo. It makes a lot more sense for Diablo himself to have marked the other souls during his travels as the dark wanderer, during wich he encountered the 4 others at one point or another
Reply Quote
Diablo's a chick, the game failed

Demons do have genders in Sanctuary, Hell and Heaven prior to Diablo 3
Reply Quote
05/25/2012 09:24 PMPosted by Fang
Finally, did Adria really mark the souls of the 5 Evils herself? at the time she claims she spent the last 20 years doing that, shes still trying to hide her allegiance to Diablo. It makes a lot more sense for Diablo himself to have marked the other souls during his travels as the dark wanderer, during wich he encountered the 4 others at one point or another

This is the first and only plausible explanation.

So to ruin that, in the xpack they'll reveal that adria was actually possessed by mathael the whole time, because he wanted to create the very first pure nephalem since the worldstone blew up by having an angel and demon baby. The reveal will occur after you have saved leahs soul from within the black soulstone, mathael will then use leahs nephalem power to grab liliths soul from the void and combine them into a being capable of destroying both heaven and hell. Mathael will then monologue at you in a 1 billion dollar cinematic saying he wanted diablo to possess the first pure nephalem to unlock the demon side of her nephalem power and thats why she can connect to lilith and that he could not enter the soulstone himself without being trapped so thats why he waited for you to do it.

He gets lilith to go kill tyrael for stealing his seat in heaven in exchange for his help, tyrael summons your character to heaven to stop this, imperius turns out to be corruped after diablo stabbed him and you fight him as a mid-boss. He's surprisingly weak and drops only 2 blues. You then watch tyrael die in an in-engine cutscene. Eld'ruin will fall down out of heaven implying absolutely nothing at all. With mathaels demand met lilith takes control and goes to hell to fulfil her own goal of killing inarius. Mathael will explain that as the angel of wisdom he realised that with the worldstone destroyed and nephalem back heaven and hell were going to be destroyed and he wanted to rule alongside lilith.

You then fight mathael and he turns out to just stand there throwing fireballs at you for 15 minutes. You win and zultan kulle pops out of nowhere and puts him in the black soulstone. He then joins with you, saying he only died temporarily when you killed him and he stayed with you to see what happened all that time and realised he was the one that got betrayed.

The remaining angels of heaven point to a hell rift still lingering after diablos corruption so you jump right in. Wandering around hell you eventually find lilith confronting inarius in a cutscene and is about to kill him when tyrael arrives in angel form and uses eld'ruin to free inarius from his chains. Tyrael will then help inarius defeat lilith in a really cool cutscene!!! Inarius opens a hole into the void in which lilith is sucked into as well as the black soulstone. Leahs soul is removed from lilith by zultan kulle before she disappears.

Tyrael explains to inarius he destroyed the worldstone and thats why the nephalem and lilith returned, which leads inarius to try and kill you both as revenge and due to his now demonic nature after being tortured in hell for so long. You then fight him as the end boss of everything and hes really big but you just hit him a bunch and he ends up falling into his own portal to the void like an idiot. The hole stays open and slowly destroys the entirety of the dimension of hell, but you all escape in time.

After it's all done zultan kulle threatens to absorb leahs soul into his empty heart and take control of sanctuary to complete his goal but leah is too strong and transmutes kulle into a vessal for the soul of deckard cain, who can enter as they are both horadrim! Wow. Then leah enters the corpse of mathael who was once adria and is now an angel. Tyrael gathers the angiris council and gets them to make cain the angel of wisdom, leah the new angel of valor and tyrael goes back to being a non mortal angel of justice.

The player character then has a bunch of babies with angel leah (OR angel tyrael if you picked a girl character) and the nephalem race joins with angels now that hell is destroyed and you all get to dance around as an epic orchestral theme plays then the game ends on a 5 minute long cinematic showing the nephalem/angel child who is of the leoric bloodline and it all ends as it shows skeleton king leoric ghost smiling above like those !@#$heads in star wars did. the end of diablo series forever.

I think thats convoluted enough to be a blizzard level xpack plot, no?
Edited by Wooser#2180 on 5/27/2012 6:47 AM PDT
Reply Quote
This is actually quite a good plot man, i think a job is waiting for u
Reply Quote
I assume that Adria marked each of the overlords by psychically reaching out and touching them, so to speak. She didn't actually go to Hell, and if she did, the demons would have knows that she was Diablo's minion, so they would have left her alone. It was like a magical version of a computer program where once the black soulstone was accessible, the souls of the imprisoned overlords would be redirected from their original stones to this one.
Reply Quote
05/25/2012 05:14 PMPosted by Kelthar
Why did they allow the Black Soulstone to fall like that? It was stressed multiple times that it wouldn't be able to contain all of those powerful demon's souls for very long so they should have shattered it like Adria was faking to want to do, right? Wouldn't they all just be able to escape the stone and come back now?

how would you have stopped it? he fell off the cliff then disintegrated.

Well since all the angels have wings perhaps they could fly after it.
Reply Quote
I always sort of interpreted it in my own way, and what i thought sort of went against what the game itself says.

My thought was that in the same way the soulstones themselves were linked to the specific demons that they eventually contained, and to the powers of hell itself, the black soulstone was created by Kulle to link directly to the Black Abyss (Hence "Black Soulstone") and to tap the powers that were within, so when we see Belial and Azmodan die, they themselves are being sent to the abyss, from which the black soulstone is able to directly link to them and they're power.

Like I said though, this is proven to be an incorrect interpretation by the games dialog and events, but i always thought my way made more sense. Its completely opinion based though, I'm not saying I'm right, just I like mine more!
Reply Quote
05/25/2012 07:32 AMPosted by Vexander
How is it that Zoltun Kulle couldn't be killed by the Horardrim, but could be by us so easily?

Because we are Nephalem. Take a look at some of the Sin War books. When Nephalem killed foes, they sometimes -unmade- them, unwoven the fabric of magic, reality, and power that allowed them to exist. It's very possible we did the same to Kulle, or that he's still in fact alive and may have even been shamming his own death.

Pretty sure those nephalem were in full control of their powers. When we killed Kulle we were barely starting to get the idea we were nephalem. There's no way we had the capability to unmake him.

If he is still alive, he wasted any chances he had to actually reclaim the black soulstone. That points to him being dead.
Reply Quote
I don't know if the black soulstone draws from the power of the black abyss in Hell. Maybe it's black due to the type of rock that it's made of. The mineral composition determines the color of a stone, so it's color may be inconsequential to it's magical properties.
Reply Quote
Biggest plot hole involving The Black Soulstone was Adira walking into The Monastery (Andariel), Tomb of Tal'rasha (Duriel), Durance of Hate (Mephisto), and Worldstone Chamber (Baal) before the Champion (your hero) could get there, but also before either of the Lord of Hell could detect them. So she walks into each place as a level 99 with The Black Soulstone, waits for your champion to slay them, and then wanders off to place The Black Soulstone where it originally rested again.
Reply Quote

Would the Black Soulstone just be floating around in the emptiness of space now? In that case couldn't seven Evils just get out easily and make their way back to Hell?

The Prime Evils are obviously tired of getting their asses handed to them by random human heroes, so they decided to take a vacation...into StarCraft.

Dun dun dun.

Then it turns out the Dark Voice has been the Prime Evil all along, and Zeratul has to unite the souls of all long-dead Protoss into the mighty Protoss Galaxy Tree, which the Dark Voice/Prime Evil seeks to consume. As he is gathering these souls, the Zerg and Terrans must hold the line for as long as possible.

/sarcasm
Edited by Axalon on 8/24/2012 2:26 AM PDT
Reply Quote
[quote]
Protoss Galaxy Tree

This is an awesome name for a tribute band :)

This makes a remarkable amount of sense. We never see Diablo interact directly with any of the Evils in D2 except Baal, but that certainly doesn't mean he didn't. He may even have marked their souls under the pretense of helping his fellow Evils wreak havoc on Sanctuary. It would explain why the lesser evils (Andariel, Duriel, etc.) are happily working for him in D2 despite the Dark Exile.

If he is still alive, he wasted any chances he had to actually reclaim the black soulstone. That points to him being dead.

I'm personally hoping for Kulle still being alive since I genuinely liked him as a character, but I don't think he had the option of reclaiming the soulstone. Leah is in possession of the soulstone after you retrieve it, and Adria is almost always at her side. If Kulle did survive his encounter with the nephalem, he would've been in pretty bad shape, and certainly not capable of standing up to Adria if it came to a fight. Of course, now that the soulstone is god knows where, he might be able to retrieve it.
Reply Quote
I really think that he's alive.
Reply Quote
come here just to say i loled at the title
Reply Quote
05/27/2012 06:42 AMPosted by Wooser
imperius turns out to be corruped after diablo stabbed him and you fight him as a mid-boss. He's surprisingly weak and drops only 2 blues

YES

I support Wooser's theory
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]