Diablo® III

how to swing your sword

i got my first magic and i equipped it to the right click and that's where my sword was and now i can't attack with my sword he is holding it but not swinging it
Reply Quote
You shouldn't want to use your melee weapon. You want to hit them from afar with your magic abilities, follow up with your summoned creatures and other various things from your bag-o-tricks.

It's more for stat boosts.
Reply Quote
had the same question early one, like Morin said its just a stat booster, youll only use your melee weapon when ur in cooldown which wont be very often, your spells such as darts and spider jars do a % of the damage the weapon your holding does, as well as go faster or slower depending on the strike speed of your weapon your using.
Reply Quote
what the hell...? Blizzard simply took off ALL customization with this game...? I can't even choose if I want to attack or not???
Reply Quote
05/16/2012 12:59 AMPosted by Kagekirazuul
what the hell...? Blizzard simply took off ALL customization with this game...? I can't even choose if I want to attack or not???
There's absolutely no good reason to melee with this class. Ever.
Reply Quote
64 Worgen Death Knight
Um if you have a good magic weapon you can use it with poison dart or something? If you want to use it go to options and check "elective mode" to on and then drag the same skill over to the slot next to it and it should change
Reply Quote
all spells in game trigger damage off your hand weapon
Reply Quote
You can use melee attacks if you are able to unequip your secondary attack, but whether that is possible I do not know, as others have said there is no point.

That being said the weapon you have equipped affects the damage all of your spells do. If you are using poison darts with a stone knife, they will do less damage than if you are using a jagged edge for example.

Does that help at all?
Reply Quote
I have got a cool bow. That is said I want to use it too kill. Or why would I equip a mace unless I want to kill with it. Ok, that is a spell modifier, but why shouldn't I use it for the simple fact that is a weapon and I want to kill with it.
The Fact matters not the reason that I have a spell arsenal witch is biger more stronger and allmost allways usable. If I equip something to my hand I will want to use it to.

Same goes for the Monk. Why the caracter put away the weapon that is in his hands before attacking.
Reply Quote
If you use the weapon in your hand to hit things, you will kill things slower than if you used the weapon itself.

If you want to play a class that uses a bow, roll a demon hunter. If you want to swing the sword and hit things, play a barbarian. Otherwise, the sword or bow or whatever in your hand is used solely to modify the ability that you're casting.

That's just the way it is. To a certain extent, it doesn't make a tonne of sense, but it does simplify things from a damage scaling perspective. In D2 with a Sorceress, you'd basically do the same thing--equip weapons only for the stat bonuses--but your spells would scale only with your spell tree, leaving you either wildly overpowered or woefully underpowered. This is a much more reasonable way to balance the game progression.
Reply Quote
05/15/2012 11:25 PMPosted by Fleck
had the same question early one, like Morin said its just a stat booster, youll only use your melee weapon when ur in cooldown which wont be very often, your spells such as darts and spider jars do a % of the damage the weapon your holding does, as well as go faster or slower depending on the strike speed of your weapon your using.

I tried using an ability on cooldown with the weapon... Unfortunately it didn't let me swing even if it is on cooldown.

Or when I ran out of mana with that skill.
Reply Quote
05/16/2012 01:00 AMPosted by Cordoba
There's absolutely no good reason to melee with this class. Ever.

I respectful disagree ... the good reason is it is supposed to be a Role Playing Game.
It's a game. Games are supposed to be fun. If someone finds it fun to swing their sword as a wizard or Witch Doctor, that alone is a valid reason. There is no good reason for games to exist aside from providing entertainment.

Sure you casters could swing weapons in previous Diablo games, and I realize this is a new game, I think people (myself included) are surprised that they are taking functionality away, in a new game.
Edited by Iridium#1143 on 5/16/2012 8:01 AM PDT
Reply Quote
05/16/2012 12:59 AMPosted by Kagekirazuul

Try thinking and searching before you vomit out a post and hit submit. If you click and hold the left or right mouse button then drag it off the bar and let go..it turns that left or righf mouse button to auto attack. DERP.
Reply Quote
Try thinking and searching before you vomit out a post and hit submit. If you click and hold the left or right mouse button then drag it off the bar and let go..it turns that left or righf mouse button to auto attack. DERP.

Your informative, albeit slightly derogatory, post got me searching. In order to move the hotbar items around one has to enable Elective Mode.

Game Menu > Options > Gameplay > Interface
Check Elective Mode

And you do not 'lose' that casting attack, with Elective Mode enabled, when you Right Click on an numbered action bar slot arrows show up in the selection windows. You can now assign any skill to any slot.
Edited by Iridium#1143 on 5/16/2012 8:17 AM PDT
Reply Quote
1 Orc Warlock
Actually, I just played around with it and found how to do ... sort of what you might be wanting to do. If you want to assign a melee attack to one of your mouse buttons (or both, that works too), just drag the icon of the spell that's currently there off of the bar. It automatically goes back to the melee option. And then when you use that button, you will attack with your sword (or equipped melee weapon).

Tried it on a mage and a witch doctor, worked for both of them. I'll assume it works for all classes.

There. Happy?

Edit: Somebody beat me to the answer!
Edited by VonD#1421 on 5/16/2012 8:28 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I agree. It seems frivolous to allow you to carry a weapon and not be able to wield it. Blizzard even created class specific ceremonial knives for witch doctors but, in the end, you can't use them?

I understand that the class doesn't necessarily lend itself to be in the middle of a melee but if one is out of mana and surrounded, why not be able to use an actual weapon to defend yourself? At least the wizard is armed with signature spells that use up zero arcane power. But the WD doesn't have that and requires mana for all attacks (apparently).
Reply Quote
I agree. It seems frivolous to allow you to carry a weapon and not be able to wield it. Blizzard even created class specific ceremonial knives for witch doctors but, in the end, you can't use them?

I understand that the class doesn't necessarily lend itself to be in the middle of a melee but if one is out of mana and surrounded, why not be able to use an actual weapon to defend yourself? At least the wizard is armed with signature spells that use up zero arcane power. But the WD doesn't have that and requires mana for all attacks (apparently).

see answer abaove. unless you just want to !@#$% about things and leave your blizz hating blinders on.
Reply Quote
I wasn't aware that asking questions in a forum constituted "blizz hating". Now I know. Thanks for the education.
Reply Quote
You shouldn't have to give up a slot to be able to swing a melee weapon. It doesn't matter if you are a wizard or not. Blizzard has made some horrible game design choices in Diablo III and this is one of them.
Reply Quote
Thanks for the information about elective mode. I'm playing as the WD and have a badass knife I want to use. While I do love the poison darts and playing range, sometimes, especially against a group of weaker monsters, I like to jump into the fray and hack them to bits.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]