Diablo® III

Soul Harvest: a poorly designed skill?

90 Blood Elf Warlock
Soul Harvest doesn't need to be nerfed.

A lot of folks are raving about how awesome and possibly overpowered it is, but they're not taking into account Hell and Inferno. You don't want to be melee range at those difficulties and SH requires you to be. In Normal, and much of Nightmare, you're still pretty durable. But as the mobs start hitting like demi-gods wielding deathstars, you won't want to be close enough to get hit.

It's balance is in the form of its risk factor.

Hes right
Soul harvest is way too good when its active, and makes WD way to powerfull for a period of time
The bad part about it is that everytime we dont have this spell active we are going to fall behind, you guys sayng you can "avoid" or "choose not" to pick up this spell dont realize that when you are facing higher difficulties you will NOT be able to just skip that amount of int. Plus the fact that its a must have in 99% of the time means we have even less choice of spells

Incorrect. You will easily be able to not use SH. There are plenty of options available to do very good sustainable damage without the use of SH.
Edited by Caz#1594 on 5/16/2012 1:17 PM PDT
Reply Quote
A lot of you probably read my title and did a double-take, thinking "Wait, Soul Harvest is amazing, it's a key piece of my build!"

And that's exactly my point.

In short, Soul Harvest amps damage (and to a lesser extent, magic resistances) to the point that it's difficult to justify any Witch Doctor build without it. It appears that the returns do diminish, but it's still a massive damage amplification.

While I like the skill, I'm concerned about the existence of "must have" skills in this skill system-- I'd much rather see a wide variety of viable builds that incorporate the whole spectrum of skills, rather than a few builds that all incorporate Soul Harvest.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure how to fix it. I don't want to see it massively nerfed, but at the same time, it's so good at the moment I can't justify playing without it.

Thoughts?

It didnt take long for someone to complain about skills, damn man, just play the game, you dont have to include SH in your build, the WD is just as good without it. I have a build with and without SH, not much difference in both. Figure them out.

I get annoyed with the complainers too, but this was a well thought out post that spawned a cool discussion.

And you guys actually use firebats? I find you have to be too close and it burns all my mana in two seconds.
Reply Quote
Try fighting a pack of elites or a single elite/boss with soul harvest on Hell/Inferno.
Edited by Plumpy#1215 on 5/16/2012 1:58 PM PDT
Reply Quote
05/16/2012 01:57 PMPosted by Tordecybombo
Try fighting a pack of elites or a single elite/boss with soul harvest on Hell/Inferno.

so while sh is ridiculously powerful and pretty much "must-have" for the lower difficulties, it is borderline useless thanks to its disproportionate risk/reward ratio on higher difficulties?

ok, case closed. that is not poorly balanced at all :-)
Reply Quote
If you don't want to use it and gimp yourself feel free. Doesn't make it any less powerful because you chose not to have it on your bar.

But.. as I said. weee! Thanks for the OP spell blizzard. I can tank AND have super damage! <3
Reply Quote
What if you made soul harvest a 3 second channel and increased the duration and cooldown?
Reply Quote
Love using it, esp when elites summon adds, oh it makes victory so much sweeter ;)
Reply Quote
A lot of you probably read my title and did a double-take, thinking "Wait, Soul Harvest is amazing, it's a key piece of my build!"

And that's exactly my point.

In short, Soul Harvest amps damage (and to a lesser extent, magic resistances) to the point that it's difficult to justify any Witch Doctor build without it. It appears that the returns do diminish, but it's still a massive damage amplification.

While I like the skill, I'm concerned about the existence of "must have" skills in this skill system-- I'd much rather see a wide variety of viable builds that incorporate the whole spectrum of skills, rather than a few builds that all incorporate Soul Harvest.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure how to fix it. I don't want to see it massively nerfed, but at the same time, it's so good at the moment I can't justify playing without it.

Thoughts?

Agreed. If any skill is so OP it becomes required in your build. They'll probably nerf it so that people consider other options.
Reply Quote

Why are complaining about something like sh.... Makes it more exciting ... Do you want to do what we did in d2 stand and just cast one spell from range and profit.... dont like something about a class live with it or reroll...

I believe that is exactly the case. Quite some people dislike the idea of having to start every single fight with the exact same spell.
And " dont like something about a class live with it or reroll..." is just about the, sorry, *bleep*est thing I've read today. Is it really totally inconceivable to you that someone might feel like "I really enjoy playing this class - my favourite. There's just this one gripe, and if that was improved on, it'd be perfect!"?

Oh, and for the record, count me as one of the "Not entirely happy with the spell" crowd. I'd much prefer it be an AoE-Debuff - percentage based, either to WD damaging spells (if that's possible) or to Toxic/Fire damage if not (in the latter case though, it'd need some reduced efficiency because of other classes being able to capitalize on it.)
Edited by Brick#1530 on 5/16/2012 4:27 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Soul Harvest is incredibly powerful... .snip.

--------------------------

Here's my build. It's all about pets and the grasp cc so you can get in and out, then Firebat them all. Poison Dart for single target dps. And hire the Templar. He'll take away even more aggro.

us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#aZcYTd!bY!aaZZaa

I ran almost this exact build (swapped the Dog rune to Rabid, and Jungle Fort in place of Spirit Attunement) until I got to nightmare where things just started to hit hard. I found staying in for bats, even though they hit like a truck was sometimes leaving me with less life than I'd like and my dogs were tending to die more than I'd like.

I tweaked it for a little more long range with by swapping bats for Acid Rain which is nicer on the mana pool and means I don't have to stay in for bats which drain mana super fast.

Soul Harvest I really feel is optional for this, and I think as mobs get nastier I'll swap it out for Hex, Confusion or Terror. Gruesome Feast takes care of INT boosting pretty well and I can see it scaling very well in high level gear. So no, I don't see it being mandatory at all (yet)
Reply Quote
I find it annoying that for the last 10 levels i;ve used the same series of attacks, same abilities, and for the most part, same runes. everything else I get thats new, or interesting just underperforms, terrible ><

however, Soul Harvest is awesome, Spirit Walk into the mobs, hit Soul Harvest, run out, more than enough time to get in and out and be in no danger.

also, i can't imagine anyone wanting to use anything else besides Spirit Walk in that slot, so powerful.
Reply Quote
Not gonna read all posts, but Soul Harvest basically means you lose one skill slot to strenghten your other five skill. Oh yeah, it's close ranged so risk involved. If you have a build that can work with only 5 skills and it's close damage range (bats, frogs...) then it's a must. And yeah it makes you feel good in team games. It is not badly designed, just a bit overpowered for now.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]