Diablo® III

I am Dieing.....

So in later NM and beginning hell i am having some HUGE problems balancing my damage and survive ability. I do well against other casters but elite melee mobs with many affixes are a HUGE problem. Lets say there is a group of demons with ice, arcane, and extra fast affixes in a room.

I walk into the room get frozen in the path of the arcane lasers with a monster that runs twice as fast as me. Since every thing i have for defense is about moving faster and out the range of the monster it is VERY hard to stay alive in these situations.

When i swap out for a shield and defensive passives to stay alive for the cc'ed time I run into a problem where it takes SOO long to kill the mobs that i cant clear the act in a single sitting.

Does any 1 have some EZ to get item suggestions with a tested and true build/play style?
Reply Quote
Witch Doctor is a shtty class atm. Monk friend solos NM on 3+ players and my WD on any build is a joke by comparison. Sure, I can crawl through an act .... very slowly. (in all current yellows btw). Gargantuan holds terrible aggro and without setting up some macguyver type choke point wallers/teleporters go to town with your !@#$. Word of advice: Don't solo.

Unless theres some godly scaling/gear in the horizon, things look embarassing when i watch my monk friend stand in the fire while tanking the boss reporting to me he's getting 800~ crits.
Edited by Banff#1302 on 5/16/2012 3:48 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I soloed bosses on 3 man with my wd on nightmare, you just have to kite. the boss took like 5-10 mins.
Edited by LATCHOLAJBAN#1220 on 5/16/2012 5:58 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
I can solo everything in NM on 4 players, not hard you just can't walk into mobs and do nothing. Monks need to try too, there is nothing different. Just learn your class and try things out. Your damage is great and you are able to survive well, just kite and use your cooldowns.
Reply Quote
I'm having the same problem, we are playing NM right now, and I have no trouble with dmg, but survival is pretty tricky.

I've tried 4 dogs with life link + the dmg resit passives.
I've tried imp with healing rune
I've tried playing spirit walk

I would say imp and spirit walk are the most effective but I get a heavy DPS drop choosing thoses spells.

looking foward to a viable survival/dps build
Reply Quote
The WD does seem pretty weak in terms of life. Damage though is a different story im currently lvl 32 with 280 or 320 damage
Reply Quote
you can get up to 1000+ with harvest + feast passive
at lvl 30
Reply Quote
Personally i wish there was some kind of scaling on our dogs. I am using entirely pet passives and using the aura and tankieness of the Templar helps but they still die about ever 2 packs. Even if i had to were +minion armor/health/resist/w.e. I would just to create proper meat shields. Or simply give Garg's cleave heavy heavy threat and leave the dogs as just extra damage, however most the time it seems the faster dogs just get there first and die before Garg really does anything.

I assume i will give up on my summonmance build soon enough and roll with a locust/haunt/acid focused AE build that just blows things up in doorways or something.
Reply Quote
Agree with you, some kind of passive/defensive/agressive stance for dogs would be nice, so you can send them in at the right time and not lose them stupidly at the worst moment lol.
Reply Quote
the dmg portion of your paper doll at your level should be saying something north of 850 if you are in your 30's and you're in nightmare.

if not, you arent ready for nightmare. spend some cash on the ah.

my acid cloud HITs for 1k on each target + dot after that. my haunt ticks for 350-500 per tick+. if you are gearing properly and keeping that +dmg as high as you can you dont need soul harvest, and therefore never need to get into melee range.

05/16/2012 06:32 PMPosted by Diablolll
The WD does seem pretty weak in terms of life. Damage though is a different story im currently lvl 32 with 280 or 320 damage
Reply Quote
Personally i wish there was some kind of scaling on our dogs. I am using entirely pet passives and using the aura and tankieness of the Templar helps but they still die about ever 2 packs. Even if i had to were +minion armor/health/resist/w.e. I would just to create proper meat shields. Or simply give Garg's cleave heavy heavy threat and leave the dogs as just extra damage, however most the time it seems the faster dogs just get there first and die before Garg really does anything.

I assume i will give up on my summonmance build soon enough and roll with a locust/haunt/acid focused AE build that just blows things up in doorways or something.

the dogs scale based on your gear. if you are going into nightmare your gear should all be at or around your level. those level 9 rares aren't going to cut it anymore. since the highest anything that dropped for me was 23 when i finished normal (and i was 34) i had to hit the ah.

i've had no problems with pets dying, but i've stopped trying to get super soul harvests anymore. too risky. better to fight from range let pets do the rest.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Hunter
mobs aint so bad with spamming fear and massive aoe but bosses are a real pain
we need buffed
Reply Quote
Not sure if I'm just doing something right, or what... but I'm 32 in act 3 normal and getting 1200-1500 crits easy on my doctor.

Using SH, quad dogs and garg.

It's all about gear... using sockets well, not focusing on RARES... they are many times better blue magic items out there...

I'm also not using ANY mf gear - I'm heavy into damage, crit chance and intelligence... MF is for fine tuning in inferno - who cares what rares and legendary item come before then really.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
I dunno how you guys are having problems. We've cleared nightmare and starting on hell and I'm having lots of fun with my WD.

First off, my dps is very good even in contrast to the rest of my party; Barb, Monk and Wizard. Fully buffed with 5 stacks of Soul Harvest i'm peaking over 5k.

Second - Pets are not very good in groups, especially in later difficulties. Where we shine is CC and damage.. I run with two Builds;

Clearing and hunting for trash
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#hcZUdj!WbV!ZYaZYY

And my single Target build
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#hcTUdQ!WbV!ZYbZYb

I die sometimes if i get stuck with a !@#$ty combination of rares like waller, arcane orb, and vortex - but hell what can ya do it's the roll of the dice.
Reply Quote
Ur single target build does not include Haunt, wich is extremely imba.. /confused
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]