Diablo® III

Kind of confused about builds...

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#acUdZT!bX!aa.Za

That is the build I am currently using which basically is spirit walk in, soul harvest then grasp of the dead and dire bat them down then use dart when I am OOM.

This seems extremely effective but I feel like I am missing out by not using things like firebomb or other skills.

are builds all situational or is my build just a really good one because it seems so far at 21 to be pretty much as good as it can get without extra runes, spiders, firebombs and other abilities just seem to pale in damage and usefulness.

For example firebomb seems like a horrible choice compared to darts, it does 85% weapon damage while darts do 180%, curious why I would use it over darts?
Reply Quote
Your doing it right ;p
Reply Quote
Firebomb is amazing. Have you actually played the game or what?
Reply Quote
05/16/2012 09:20 PMPosted by Fearpoint

Direbats does the same thing but better and darts are better single target, I could see if I ever had mana issues with direbats but everything is dead before it becomes an issue.

Like I said I could be wrong but it just feels off.

For example splinter darts vs leaping spiders, why would you ever use leaping spiders? the damage seems like night and day in favor of darts.

I am not saying I am right however I am honestly curious if you feel I am wrong tell me why don't just make a statement about something being arbitrarily better without any reason.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
For example splinter darts vs leaping spiders, why would you ever use leaping spiders? the damage seems like night and day in favor of darts.

Not really. Leaping spiders cannot "miss" while darts can. If just one Dart misses its target, Darts does less damage than Spiders. And then of course are all the other benefits Spiders has over Darts, like blocking enemy pathing and the ability to be lobbed over obstacles instead of crashing into them.

Some of the same arguments can be made with Firebomb vs. Darts.

Playing Diablo 3 isn't about having the BEST DPS possible, it is about surviving the enemy.
Reply Quote

Direbats does the same thing but better and darts are better single target, I could see if I ever had mana issues with direbats but everything is dead before it becomes an issue.

Like I said I could be wrong but it just feels off.

I am not saying I am right however I am honestly curious if you feel I am wrong tell me why don't just make a statement about something being arbitrarily better without any reason.

Give me a break.

Firebombs has a significantly longer range. You can spam it without a threat to mana while regenerating, it's AoE, AND you can target enemies behind things.

I really don't believe you actually played the game trying to compare the two. Firebombs is a great primary attack spell, end of story.

Spiders > Darts

Only thing direbats has going for it is to be used in cheese soul harvest builds for easy mode until you start fighting things which will fist you if you come anywhere close to melee range.
Edited by Fearpoint#1182 on 5/16/2012 9:48 PM PDT
Reply Quote
This is what I used when teamed up with a DH for first clear through SC.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#acYdiT!ZbV!aZbaZZ

I'd run in without spirit walk, soul harvest, then kite them back in a straight line and line up with the DH while I burned mana with fire bats kind of tanking it.

I'd switch between double splinters and mana darts depending on the mana intensity of the fight and offload to the DM when completely OOM.

Soul Harvest x 5 every single time.

Only thing direbats has going for it is to be used in cheese soul harvest builds for easy mode until you start fighting things which will fist you if you come anywhere close to melee range.

Ya what they said ^_^.
Edited by Piro#1167 on 5/16/2012 9:51 PM PDT
Reply Quote
05/16/2012 09:42 PMPosted by Obliquatur

Not really. Leaping spiders cannot "miss" while darts can. If just one Dart misses its target, Darts does less damage than Spiders. And then of course are all the other benefits Spiders has over Darts, like blocking enemy pathing and the ability to be lobbed over obstacles instead of crashing into them.

Some of the same arguments can be made with Firebomb vs. Darts.

Playing Diablo 3 isn't about having the BEST DPS possible, it is about surviving the enemy.

I did notice while using spiders I seem to get hit slightly less mainly because enemies focus them so that could be something to take into consideration.

I have yet to really try firebomb in any serious capacity so I can't overly comment on that which is why I was asking. Will have to experiment I guess.

Ya what they said ^_^.

So direbats doesn't really stay good late game?
Edited by Esoterik#1972 on 5/16/2012 9:52 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Using firebomb in this build is amazing (level 26). Pets keep enemies at a distance, where I can bomb them. If enemies get too close I can locust them and sacrifice is used when dog cool down ends (it's very effective with four dogs). Siphon keeps me alive if I get surrounded.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#hSdVYT!Zd!..ZZaa
Reply Quote
85 Undead Warlock
soul harvest then grasp of the dead and dire bat them down then use dart when I am OOM.

How do you get dire bats AND grasp of the dead? Im missing something in the talent calculator apparently because I ant have 2 secondaries in game.
Edited by Twysted#1331 on 5/16/2012 10:15 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Hocakes - Enable the option "Elective Mode" and you can assign any talent from any tree to any button.
Reply Quote
^^ It's obnoxious that you have to do that. Took me a couple of levels before I realized that.
Reply Quote
The way I see it, if you are killing things, and not being killed yourself your build is fine. I'm still on normal mode but I play similarly to you. I Spirt Walk in, siphon, grasp of the dead and poison dart them from afar while my gargantuan and follower tank them. If they get to close and surround me I can soul siphon again for a heal, or I can fear them away. Haven't died once with this build. This may change at higher levels, but I clear things fast and effectively, without fear of dying. Not changing it until it starts to hinder me.

And to @Fearpoint, get off your high horse. The man asked a legitimate question. No need to be condescending. A simple, "Firebomb is more efficient than bats" would have made you come off as sounding much less like a jackass.
Reply Quote
What i'v been running at level 23 is upkeep gargantuan/dogs, acid > locust and firebomb til everything is dead. Siphon if I take any damage and I usually beat down everything before they get a chance to really get at me.

Heavy damage to beat out incoming damage. Dogs usually die in big packs, but for the most part I have 2 dogs and the gargantuan active with full hp.
Reply Quote
What i'v been running at level 23 is upkeep gargantuan/dogs, acid > locust and firebomb til everything is dead. Siphon if I take any damage and I usually beat down everything before they get a chance to really get at me.

Heavy damage to beat out incoming damage. Dogs usually die in big packs, but for the most part I have 2 dogs and the gargantuan active with full hp.

Yea after playing with it I have decided on Firebomb, grasp and acid with siphon and spirit walk for escape and gargantuan as a pet, the ability to cast acid and firebomb at the same time makes it so strong.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]