Diablo® III

For Geforce users (display crashes)

85 Blood Elf Rogue
I downloaded the Nvidea system tools and underclocked all 3 clocks by 100-200 each. You can get the program for free from the Nvidea website. Just google it that's how I found it. My core speed was 700 Mhz, I put it down to 600 Mhz. the other 2 I put down 200 Mhz each.
My vid card is Asus Geforce 9500 GT 512 meg (DDR3) running windows vista ultimate SP2 and Direct x 10. I also have the latest Nvidea drivers installed. (296.10)

Before doing this.. my screen would turn black and I'd get a windows error saying my "display driver has stopped responding and has now recovered" In the tooltip of the error it said "display driver nvlddmkm stopped working and has successfully recovered"
It would do this constantly.
I mean, I couldn't even get to the first gate where you kill the zombies coming out of the bushes in the beginning of the game...

Underclocking seems to have fixed this issue as I have been able to play without crashing yet. The game runs smooth as well (max foreground fps is set to 150, max background to 50). Most other diablo 3 video settings are on low.
To answer your question, yes I did try lowering the max fps's and it did NOT fix anything.. Underclocking is the ONLY thing that has worked so far.

I hope this helps people. Someone else posted this fix and to them I say thanks :)
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Rogue
Bump
Reply Quote
it doesnt fix the main issue. I'm sure you're playing on 1280x720p resolution (or below)?
There's no way people with GTX 550 560 570 or 680 are getting low fps, stuttering (or micro stuttering), black screen. Those GPUs are doing well on other games (name it BF3 MW3, Skyrim, Batman Arkham City, Crysis 2, etc), I don't think this is not hardware issue.
Reply Quote
it doesnt fix the main issue. I'm sure you're playing on 1280x720p resolution (or below)?
There's no way people with GTX 550 560 570 or 680 are getting low fps, stuttering (or micro stuttering), black screen. Those GPUs are doing well on other games (name it BF3 MW3, Skyrim, Batman Arkham City, Crysis 2, etc), I don't think this is not hardware issue.

Yea I have a GTX 560 and I don't believe it's a hardware issue. I have tried installing old drivers as others have suggested, messed around with all of the settings the best I could, and now I will try underclocking. I'm not sure what else to do. I just wish Blizz would give us there input on the problem.
Reply Quote
Underclocking worked wonders for me. This should be a sticky imo, fixed my game.
cheers
Edited by blackgoetia#1938 on 5/16/2012 10:42 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Rogue
I understand that blizzard needs to address this issue and develop a fix or something for people who have slow downs etc...

My game is currently on 1280x800 res
Like I mentioned before, my foreground fps is set to 150 and background fps is set to 50.
Vertical sync is off
Shadows off
the rest of the video options are on low

I've been playing diablo 3 using the underclocking fix for almost 2 hours now and I have NOT crashed. I have not crashed even once. It's stable, running smooth.

If you want to know my specs are:

AMD athlon 64 X2 6000+ 3.1Ghz dual core
Asus Geforce 9500 GT 512 meg (DDR3)
2 gig of ocz fatality ram (DDR2 clocked at 800)
Gigabyte mobo

I'm not sure why other people are having "other" graphical issues such as slow downs and whatnot. That should be in another thread which blizzard should also be looking into hopefully.

For those of you who have tried this fix I'm glad it's working for you :) That was my intention =D
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Rogue
bump
Reply Quote
Underclocking worked wonders for me. This should be a sticky imo, fixed my game.
cheers

Alright so I downloaded the Nvidia system tools and underclocked everything by 100 and this fixed my FPS issues I was having.
Reply Quote
How can I underclock my Radeon X850?
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Rogue
Bodybags - This fix was for black screen and display driver stop responding. If it fixed your fps that's great, but not quite what this fix is for haha.

Hellraiser - I'm not sure about ATI cards. I'm sure they may also have a system tool of thier own which you may have to google it.

Seems alot of graphics cards come slightly overclocked in their factory settings.

Again, this fix is generally for :

05/16/2012 10:03 PMPosted by Haadus
"display driver has stopped responding and has now recovered" In the tooltip of the error it said "display driver nvlddmkm stopped working and has successfully recovered"
Reply Quote
Haadus - I know, I have seen it mentioned on another thread for FPS problems. I figured it was worth a shot since I tried everything else.
Reply Quote
catalyst control center gives acces to ati cards clocks i believe
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Rogue
Just an update for you guys, I've been playing since before I made this thread and I have NOT crashed. :)

Blizzard needs to figure out a fix so the game can find some kind of equilibrium with the graphics cards and avoid those display driver crashes.. I'm not a programmer so I can't elaborate further lol. :P
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Rogue
bump
Reply Quote
I cant seem to find it under the catalyst control center
Reply Quote
80 Orc Mage
Can't believe this is actually working. 1 hour in and no crashes. Usually have 1 every 15 minutes.

GG Haadus
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Rogue
Hellraiser - I found a tool if you'd like to check it out. This may help you underclock your card if you can't find the option within the catalyst program.

http://www.techpowerup.com/atitool/

Just take a look at it, I'm not saying this is a definite answer because you may want to read up on it first before using it.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Rogue
bump
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Rogue
Seems alot of graphics cards come slightly overclocked in their factory settings.

Again, this fix is generally for :

05/16/2012 10:03 PMPosted by Haadus
"display driver has stopped responding and has now recovered" In the tooltip of the error it said "display driver nvlddmkm stopped working and has successfully recovered"

Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Rogue
I forgot who posted this fix before me but thanks whoever you are. The credit for allowing me to help others goes to you :)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]