Diablo® III

For Geforce users (display crashes)

As far as -that- much sensitivity, probably not. Not on the video-card side anyway, .01v is hardly anything at all (most overclocking software moves the voltage by more than that per step), and most video cards are far below their voltage cap anyway (easily shown by the firmware caps for nVidia cards that are still even far lower than what can be reached with proper cooling systems.)
Not to derail the thread with tehtekystuff, but any of the newer nvidia 500 series cards use a base vpu voltage of 0.92-0.95v depending on their binning. AMD's newer 7970 uses between 1.19 and 1.21v on the binning. Nvidia cards are by far more picky about voltage jumps than AMD cards.
Edited by Mashiki#1177 on 5/18/2012 1:25 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warlock
This is the exact issue I have. Just changed my setting as the OP described and will see how it goes. Pisses me off that this needs to be done but it is what it is. Going to run it for 3-4 hrs tonight and see what happens.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Rogue
Works for me and other people mentioned it working for them. That's all I care about. I don't mind the tech talk because I learn from it so keep it up :)
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Mage
how to underclock? I using 2years old computer with i5 core and nvdia geforce GT335M??
Reply Quote
Every one request this be sticky'd by clicking the link at the top left above the top post.
Reply Quote
Underclocking does not help in my case. GTX680.
Reply Quote
Underclocking did not help me, and I have a GTS 250. Worst part is, I've been running D3 perfectly well since release, and all this only started this morning. And up until release, I've been playing Skyrim and Rage - far more demanding games =/
Reply Quote
I'm running a 550 using drive 296.10, and I didn't know there was an Nvidia display problem at all until readin this thread.

Chugging along at near max settign 1920x1080 over 100fps all the way.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Rogue
If you have an Nvidea card get the system tool off their website. It adds to the Nvidea control panel the ability to modify clock settings. Sorry GTX users I don't know what to say :(

I use an Asus Geforce 9500 GT 512meg (DDR3) model.

"Before" I underclocked I kept getting black screen and windows error saying display driver has stopped responding and has now recovered.

"After" I underclocked my Core 100 mhz, and the other 2 by 200 mhz each. I have not crashed once. Today I played for 5 hours straight and no crashes.
Seems this fix only works for some people, I'm not educated enough in the technological aspects of GPU's to elaborate on this issue. I wish there was something I could do for those who don't benefit from this fix. It's also more of a temporary fix until Blizzard fixes the game somehow. Maybe something in the games design isn't utilizing hardware efficiently or correctly. I'm really not sure why people have been experiencing this issue. I mean, I play WoW as well as other games and I have never had this black screen and windows error happen in any game except D3.

My last words of advice is to see if there's any other threads based on your graphics card model. Which I'm sure you have already =P
Reply Quote
Bump!

It this seemed to worth for me, my computer kept on shutting down (ranging from 5 minutes to 6 hours after the game has started). I have a Gefore GT 330M and downclocked to 425. So far so good.
Reply Quote
Down clocking my GTS250 fixed the problem for me as well.
Reply Quote
This fixed my problem for like 2 days but now its back :S , i dont know why but its back , i didnt change anything.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Rogue
ArtVandelay:

Check to see if it saved your downclocking. Maybe somehow it reset back to the factory defaults.

Are you getting display driver stopped working and has now recovered error?
Reply Quote
I'm having the same problems, but it isn't letting me download the tool to underclock this thing. Can anyone help me?
Reply Quote
Before I forget yet again, people getting a "display driver has stopped responding and has restarted for NVIDIA cards" you should be writing posts here:
http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?s=f71f29da18d0a95e43b5b0ffd2553911&showforum=213

Back about oh 5-6mo ago, nvidia had a serious deathly serious problem with driver TDR(driver stops responding, restarts). The last stable driver was 275.33, until the more recent 295.73(mostly stable). There's also a bunch of things over there you can try to fix the TDR problem.

Force single display mode -> Nvidia control panel -> Manage 3d settings -> Multi/mixed--Set to single, and if it keeps up switch to compatibility.

Doing this may nuke your PC from orbit if you do the wrong thing, that's your problem. -- NOT MINE.
Registry hack the TDR timeout limit.
Regedit:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers

Right hand panel ->
TDRDelay -> right click -> modify > Increase from 8 to 20 or higher(DO NOT CHANGE FROM HEXADECIMAL-Computer will go crashy crashy)

(picture: http://i49.tinypic.com/2chkn50.png)

Ensure that you're not undervoltage, or have another hardware issue. TDR's are either driver related, or hardware related or both.

WTF What's a TDR? Tehtekystuff http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff570087%28v=vs.85%29.aspx
In laymans terms
It's where the driver and system stop talking while processing requests, and the driver restarts itself to reinitialize itself between various software and hardware components. So you're asking, WTF my machine is broken? Maybe, maybe not. TDR's stop that old bluescreen of death that some might remember. The problem is, TDR troubleshooting at best is voodoo magic with a dose of blood sacrifices. There's so many things that can cause it, that your eyes will melt.

How bad was the previous nvidia TDR problem:
http://preview.tinyurl.com/7758dlp
Edited by Mashiki#1177 on 5/19/2012 9:46 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Rogue
It this seemed to worth for me, my computer kept on shutting down (ranging from 5 minutes to 6 hours after the game has started). I have a Gefore GT 330M and downclocked to 425. So far so good.

Did you not receive a display driver has stopped responding and has now recovered error?

Check your system even log if it happens again and post it in here and I'll take a look. I used to get random shutdowns. I can't remember why except that I has to go into power options in control panel, select balanced and turned my maximum processor state from 100% down to 80%. That problem hasn't happened since I did this, going on 2 years now. (Basically why I don't remember lol.. 2 years ago)
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Rogue
05/19/2012 09:33 AMPosted by swammy
I'm having the same problems, but it isn't letting me download the tool to underclock this thing. Can anyone help me?

Swammy:

What is your graphics card?
Do you have the latest drivers installed?
Reply Quote
Will this work with computer COMPLETELY freezing on game screen during game?! Like having to hard reset...every 1 to 15min.because it happens sooo fkin much!

I have the 560 ti...
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Rogue
05/19/2012 09:44 AMPosted by Haadus
I can't remember why except that I has to go into power options in control panel, select balanced and turned my maximum processor state from 100% down to 80%. That problem hasn't happened since I did this, going on 2 years now.

I think this was an overheating issue but I vaguely remember.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Rogue
Will this work with computer COMPLETELY freezing on game screen during game?! Like having to hard reset...every 1 to 15min.because it happens sooo fkin much!

I have the 560 ti...

Check your system event log and post what it says in here.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]