Diablo® III

Story isn't just bad. It makes NO SENSE.

*Spoiler*

Ok, try to follow my train of thought:

In D2, D and M's soulstone gets destroyed. In D2X, B get's destroyed.

So are they banished back in Hell or do their spirits float aimlessly in Sanctuary still?

Cause they have to be in Santuary in order for Adria to gather them right?

But hold up. How is Adria gathering them? With the Black Soulstone!

Wait what, but the Black soulstone isn't finished being built yet (which is a quest in D3 where you finish building it)

So how did 5 Lord of Hell's souls gets into the Black soulstone that was never completed in the first place?

And, assuming Adria had a working black soulstone (what), why the heck does she not have it when we find her and why the heck do we need to (re)build it again in Act 3?

THIS GAME MAKES NO SENSE.
Reply Quote
If you ask me Blizz kinda dropped the ball of writing stories ever since WOW was released.
They got BETTER and telling the story, but the stories themselfs are MUCH worse than they used to be :I
Reply Quote
Heres a quality ring of writing fail.

Retconning the butcher from being an overlord (what happens to fallen angels) to patchwerk

So that tyreal can be turned into a mortal human by ripping of his wings (how you become a fallen angel)

However D2/3 changed the lore that humans were descendants from angel and demon offspring. (so how did he become a human?)

Such that retconning gave them a plot hole because of previous retconning.
Edited by abominare#1743 on 5/17/2012 1:40 PM PDT
Reply Quote
The black soulstone was not finished, but working, I think.

I don't think that's the worst thing in the story.
Reply Quote
I'm not even out of Act I yet (believe it) and if I was asked what the hell was going on, I honestly wouldn't be able to tell you.
Reply Quote
Someone didn't follow the story line at all.
Reply Quote
05/17/2012 01:41 PMPosted by recyclops

Well the irony of this is that the soulstones are used to trap souls. So if the soul is already trapped in what appears to be irreversible, destroying the soulstone on the hell forge destroys the stone and the soul at the same time, so when did adria get to mark the soul to put in the black soul stone, especially considering that meph's and diablo's were carried personally by you until their destruction once you picked them up.

If they didnt hold the soul, then whats the point of a soul stone and why would the black one work if the others cant hold souls apparently
Edited by abominare#1743 on 5/17/2012 1:45 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Adria was either stealth stalking your hero in D2 and everytime you killed an Evil she trapped a small part of his "essence" (in the stone? somewhere else?) or she visited their boss rooms during the past 20 years and got their remaining "essence" or whatever. When you destroy the soulstones at the HellForge, the Evil's essence with Adria is all that remains hence why "they are trapped in the Black Soulstone". Which... would completely invalidate the fact that when you smash a soulstone with an Evil inside at the Hellforge he's banished to the abyss since a small weakened part of it remains somewhere.
Edited by DarkSpell#1621 on 5/17/2012 2:43 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Yeah, what's the point of smashing it if their souls linger around.

I friggin hate it when stories make no sense.

Not in the magic-dragon-angel kind of no sense, but the kind that foot in mouth kind of no sense.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Mage
Did anyone else notice (Spoilers btw) that the camera purposely showed the Black Soulstone falling from Heaven after Diablo's body burned away as he fell? I don't think theres any other way Blizz could go with that other than to bring all of the evils back from the stone (As it fell to an unknown part of Sanctuary) through another Xpac or Diablo 4. Maybe its found by someone, who accidentally unleashes all seven of the evils back into the world, or without Leah to hold in the souls, it splits open.

Just pointing that out, I agree that the story was rather poorly written. Excellent and interesting Lore and Story, but the writing for the dialogue and the lack-there-of explanation for almost everything that happened was disappointing. They leave you to fill in the gaps yourself, but because we dont know what ACTUALLY caused all of this we start freaking out because it doesn't make sense

:P
Reply Quote
=D
It made sense to me............I believe.
Reply Quote
*Spoiler*

Ok, try to follow my train of thought:

In D2, D and M's soulstone gets destroyed. In D2X, B get's destroyed.

So are they banished back in Hell or do their spirits float aimlessly in Sanctuary still?

Cause they have to be in Santuary in order for Adria to gather them right?

But hold up. How is Adria gathering them? With the Black Soulstone!

Wait what, but the Black soulstone isn't finished being built yet (which is a quest in D3 where you finish building it)

So how did 5 Lord of Hell's souls gets into the Black soulstone that was never completed in the first place?

And, assuming Adria had a working black soulstone (what), why the heck does she not have it when we find her and why the heck do we need to (re)build it again in Act 3?

THIS GAME MAKES NO SENSE.

If I recall correctly smashing the soulstone banishes them to the abyss. A kind of empty region outside the bounds of creation. At the end of D2X Tyreal says he doesn't know what impact destroying the worldstone will have. I could see this event giving the prime evils a way to return.

This doesn't explain how Adria captured them with the black soulstone, I'm starting to think that Leah was a sort of gateway for the evils return. That while Adria was teaching Leah to use the stone this is when they were transfered into it. This would make sense as Azmodon used Leah to talk to Diablo in that cinematic.

I was under the impression that the black soulstone was complete but they needed Kulle to get access to it. If my theory is accurate it wouldn't matter either way.

At this point my biggest question is who is Adria really? Is she a disguise for a more powerful being or working for someone? We have very little information about her up to this point so it will be interesting to see how she plays out in the future.
Edited by ApathyZer0#1901 on 5/17/2012 10:20 PM PDT
Reply Quote
This plot point really bothered me as well since it is not well explained. I fought Zoltan Kulle twice just to hear the dialogue again. As far as I can tell, Adria didn't capture the Prime Evils' souls in the black soulstone and then lose it. She "tagged" the demons' souls so that when the soulstone is completed by Zoltan Kulle, the souls would be absorbed into it. How do you tag a demon's soul? I don't know. Where were the souls for the last 20 years? I don't know. It wouldn't have taken much extra effort to really flesh out this piece of plot. I can't imagine why they didn't.
Reply Quote
21 Human Mage
=D
It made sense to me............I believe.

Ya me too.

I liked the story, to be honest plot holes do not really bother me, i just come up with an interesting and exciting explanation in my head, or else I rationalize it by saying "Hey wait, i am trying to figure out a logical explanation for a world where skeletons constantly attack you and Demon Lords roam the earth and theng et trapped in stones, really anything makes sense."

It isnt perfect but I like it. And archangels are total badasses.

Also, did anyone else notice that Diablo looked like he had grown a pair of breasts?

Also, Cynaed was dexcribed as Azmodan's consort, how the hell does that guy have sex? Ewwwww.... gross demon lord sex
Reply Quote
05/17/2012 10:27 PMPosted by DarkSpell
This plot point really bothered me as well since it is not well explained. I fought Zoltan Kulle twice just to hear the dialogue again. As far as I can tell, Adria didn't capture the Prime Evils' souls in the black soulstone and then lose it. She "tagged" the demons' souls so that when the soulstone is completed by Zoltan Kulle, the souls would be absorbed into it. How do you tag a demon's soul? I don't know. Where were the souls for the last 20 years? I don't know. It wouldn't have taken much extra effort to really flesh out this piece of plot. I can't imagine why they didn't.

Well the word they used was "marked".

I assume they were in the Black Abyss.
Reply Quote
Yes, diablo did have breasts as well as a feminine walk... Watch the art videos in 'the making of'. They wanted diablo to look like a chick because 'he' came out of a female body this time instead of the dark wanderer.... so really diablo is more of an 'it' than a male or female....
Reply Quote
Adria marked the souls of the Prime Evils so the Black Soulstone would attract them. She was carrying out her plan with Diablo himself while he was wandering Sanctuary to free his brethren. She states this. (I would assume as some sort of fail safe) This is when she marked Baal's, Maephisto's and Diablo's souls to be absorbed by the Black Soulstone that was finished in the sense it could hold the souls of Angels and Demons. Kulle never finished his work to use the power. Belial and Azmodan were marked on her journey after the time of D2.

The quest with Kulle (outside of bringing him back) was to unlock his lair to gain access to the stone, which he shut away to preserve his work.

The doors are open for expansions. I mainly would like to see a corrupt Imperius.
Reply Quote

Well the irony of this is that the soulstones are used to trap souls. So if the soul is already trapped in what appears to be irreversible, destroying the soulstone on the hell forge destroys the stone and the soul at the same time, so when did adria get to mark the soul to put in the black soul stone, especially considering that meph's and diablo's were carried personally by you until their destruction once you picked them up.

If they didnt hold the soul, then whats the point of a soul stone and why would the black one work if the others cant hold souls apparently

The souls of the 5 great evils from D2 were sent to "the abyss." Whatever marking of the souls Adria did was most likely her summoning them from the abyss into the soulstone. We know that souls can be brought back from the abyss because Inarius banished Lilith and she managed to come back in the Sin War.
Edited by recyclops#1945 on 5/18/2012 3:46 AM PDT
Reply Quote
05/18/2012 03:32 AMPosted by Darkcorpse
Yes, diablo did have breasts as well as a feminine walk... Watch the art videos in 'the making of'. They wanted diablo to look like a chick because 'he' came out of a female body this time instead of the dark wanderer.... so really diablo is more of an 'it' than a male or female....

No boobs though. If you look at their model, you can see it is actually an extension of shoulder armor, up close you can actually see beneath the chitinous plates, there is a gap. But yes, it does evoke a feminine body/armor.

You know .....in the cinematic as it (?), Diablo that is goes off to burn Heaven I noticed the smexy tail and that hip swing.

I have the weirdest bonner right now....
Edited by Mijuu#1695 on 5/18/2012 4:12 AM PDT
Reply Quote

However D2/3 changed the lore that humans were descendants from angel and demon offspring. (so how did he become a human?).

Wasn't D2 it was the Sin War trilogy maybe you should pick up reading as a hobby
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]