Diablo® III

Story isn't just bad. It makes NO SENSE.

85 Undead Mage
To answer people who are wondering as to why we would have even tried trapping them in the Black Soulstone in the first place:

Adria betrayed us all 20 years ago, and marked each of the Seven's souls, trapping them all in Santuary in the event that they were killed. So the stones WOULD HAVE worked had she not betrayed us, and their souls would be banished upon smashing the stones at the Hellforge.

So basically, your Hero, from Diablo II accidentally released the souls, thinking that he/she was destroying them, when really they remained in Sanctuary trapped, until the activation of the Black Soulstone.
Reply Quote
[quote]
Just to expand on this. Yes nobody knew ahead of time that the 3 primes and twins were in the black soulstone, they just assumed they were in the abyss. HOWEVER, when Kulle saw the evils in the black soulstone, that should have been the eye-opener saying "Oh !@#$, destroying the soulstones 20 years ago didn't help, now what do we do?". Instead we get "Oh okay there's 5 demons in the soulstone, 2 more then HULK SMASH" with no regard to how that didn't seem to work 20 years ago. Did the story explain that somewhere?

It would have worked unless their souls had been linked to yet another soulstone, but since the black soulstone was the only stone capable of holding multiple souls it wouldn't be likely.

It really was that close - if we'd been able to smash that stone it would've been game-over.
100% wrong.

If you were right, then Adria would be outed as a traitor when she admitted to trapping the souls in the black soulstone. She wasn't. They all thought it was great and that's what she was doing for 20 years. Leah had Deckards writings on the heroes from D2, Tyrael was there and instructed them to destroy the soul stones. Just doesn't work.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Mage
Alright, no more of this fighting. Read this post to understand the plot :P

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5271778117?page=1#0
Reply Quote
Adria marked the souls of the Prime Evils so the Black Soulstone would attract them. She was carrying out her plan with Diablo himself while he was wandering Sanctuary to free his brethren. She states this. (I would assume as some sort of fail safe) This is when she marked Baal's, Maephisto's and Diablo's souls to be absorbed by the Black Soulstone that was finished in the sense it could hold the souls of Angels and Demons. Kulle never finished his work to use the power. Belial and Azmodan were marked on her journey after the time of D2.

The quest with Kulle (outside of bringing him back) was to unlock his lair to gain access to the stone, which he shut away to preserve his work.

The doors are open for expansions. I mainly would like to see a corrupt Imperius.

See I think he has it right. Adria marked the souls before they were banished to the Abyss. (Before D2). So when Kulle activates the soulstone it draws those souls from the abyss.

I actually thought the story was very good, better than D2.
Reply Quote
05/19/2012 04:29 PMPosted by Tyrinos
It's not fighting, it's pointing out glaring plot holes to those too blind to see them. Your post does not magically fix it.

It's not hindsight logic, it's just plain logic. If destroying the soulstones sends demons to the abyss, then Adria betrayed mankind by interfering with the souls of Mephisto and Diablo, who's soulstones were destroyed at the hellforge.

If destroying soulstones does not send demons to the abyss, then using the black soulstone is a exercise in futility.

Again, Tyrael and Leah seem blissfully unaware that Adria is a traitor, even after she admits to binding the souls to the black soulstone. It wouldn't be a plot hole if only Andariel, Duriel, and Baal's soul were in the soulstone, but Mephisto and Diablo's were also in the soulstone, which IS a plot hole. Sorry, explain my post before getting too smug.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Mage
05/19/2012 04:41 PMPosted by Enkidu
It's not fighting, it's pointing out glaring plot holes to those too blind to see them. Your post does not magically fix it.

It's not hindsight logic, it's just plain logic. If destroying the soulstones sends demons to the abyss, then Adria betrayed mankind by interfering with the souls of Mephisto and Diablo, who's soulstones were destroyed at the hellforge.

If destroying soulstones does not send demons to the abyss, then using the black soulstone is a exercise in futility.

Again, Tyrael and Leah seem blissfully unaware that Adria is a traitor, even after she admits to binding the souls to the black soulstone. It wouldn't be a plot hole if only Andariel, Duriel, and Baal's soul were in the soulstone, but Mephisto and Diablo's were also in the soulstone, which IS a plot hole. Sorry, explain my post before getting too smug.

Well if you had read the entire post I just linked, then you would not have just written that, because its very easy to see why the stones didn't work, and why we were tricked into believing smashing the original stones or the Black stone would work. I completely explained it, everything I said there comes directly from the games, not the books, not the wiki, not anything else, its all canon.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Mage
It wouldn't be a plot hole if only Andariel, Duriel, and Baal's soul were in the soulstone, but Mephisto and Diablo's were also in the soulstone, which IS a plot hole. Sorry, explain my post before getting too smug.

And again, you obviously didn't read my post, as Mephisto's and Diablo's were marked aswell. Just go read that before you start assume that plotholes are there where they are not. if only you had just listened to all the dialog.
Edited by SheepDogWoof#1146 on 5/19/2012 4:47 PM PDT
Reply Quote
what if diablo is reborn in the exp and uses the nephalem(us) just like he did with the hero(wanderer) in d2.
Edited by djdkmowze#1124 on 5/19/2012 4:47 PM PDT
Reply Quote
05/19/2012 04:46 PMPosted by Tyrinos
It wouldn't be a plot hole if only Andariel, Duriel, and Baal's soul were in the soulstone, but Mephisto and Diablo's were also in the soulstone, which IS a plot hole. Sorry, explain my post before getting too smug.

And again, you obviously didn't read my post, as Mephisto's and Diablo's were marked aswell. Just go read that before you start assume that plotholes are there where they are not. if only you had just listened to all the dialog.
You should probably sit back and read what I wrote. Here, I'm going to ask a simple question, see if you can answer it...

When Adria admitted to binding the souls of Andariel, Duriel, Mephisto, Diablo, and Baal to the black soulstone, why didn't Tyrael and Leah immediately see her as a traitor? (note: this was right after the Kulle fight...)
Reply Quote
85 Undead Mage

You should probably sit back and read what I wrote. Here, I'm going to ask a simple question, see if you can answer it...

When Adria admitted to binding the souls of Andariel, Duriel, Mephisto, Diablo, and Baal to the black soulstone, why didn't Tyrael and Leah immediately see her as a traitor? (note: this was right after the Kulle fight...)

.......Because that is what she was supposed to do? Duh?

I think you may be the only person I have talked to who sees THAT as a plothole, when that was the ENTIRE GOAL OF THE GAME. To trap all the Seven in the stone and then shatter it, nothing she said after Kulle's fight was indicative of her betrayal, because the whole point of finding the stone was to do exactly what you just told me was an obvious sign of her turning on you. I know exactly what words you're talking about, and those are the words we all expected.

Had she said "YES I'VE GATHERED THE SOULS OF FIVE, TWO TO GO AND I CAN RESURRECT MY LORD DIABLO AS THE PRIME EVIL!!!"

Then we would have known something was up...
Edited by SheepDogWoof#1146 on 5/19/2012 6:14 PM PDT
Reply Quote
21 Human Mage
05/17/2012 01:08 PMPosted by Rigormort
Wait what, but the Black soulstone isn't finished being built yet (which is a quest in D3 where you finish building it)

It is already built, Zolton Kulle built it. the quest is to retrieve it.
Reply Quote

I think you may be the only person I have talked to who sees THAT as a plothole, when that was the ENTIRE GOAL OF THE GAME. To trap all the Seven in the stone and then shatter it, nothing she said after Kulle's fight was indicative of her betrayal, because the whole point of finding the stone was to do exactly what you just told me was an obvious sign of her turning on you. I know exactly what words you're talking about, and those are the words we all expected.

Had she said "YES I'VE GATHERED THE SOULS OF FIVE, TWO TO GO AND I CAN RESURRECT MY LORD DIABLO AS THE PRIME EVIL!!!"

Are you really that dense?

If she hadn't "marked" the souls of Mephisto, Diablo, and Baal (assuming Tyrael destroyed Baal's soulstone when destroying the worldstone) then the 3 prime evils WOULD HAVE BEEN IN THE ABYSS.

Adria's actions, which she admitted too after the Kulle fight, are the ONLY reason Diablo could become the prime evil and the ONLY reason Diablo could even manifest again. It was clear after the Kulle fight that Adria was a traitor, clear to most people at least. Consider yourself as blissfully unaware as Tyrael and Leah, not really in good company.
Reply Quote

If she hadn't "marked" the souls of Mephisto, Diablo, and Baal (assuming Tyrael destroyed Baal's soulstone when destroying the worldstone) then the 3 prime evils WOULD HAVE BEEN IN THE ABYSS.

Adria's actions, which she admitted too after the Kulle fight, are the ONLY reason Diablo could become the prime evil and the ONLY reason Diablo could even manifest again. It was clear after the Kulle fight that Adria was a traitor, clear to most people at least. Consider yourself as blissfully unaware as Tyrael and Leah, not really in good company.

+1 Enkidu
This is going to bug me now.
Reply Quote

Please read up on lore. Sending them to the Abyss would just mean they would return in time. The Black Soulstone was a way to get rid of them forever.
Reply Quote
05/19/2012 09:02 PMPosted by Herby
Please read up on lore. Sending them to the Abyss would just mean they would return in time. The Black Soulstone was a way to get rid of them forever.
Lore never reveals a distinctive difference between Tyrael's soulstones and Kulle's black soulstone, aside from Kulle's being able to hold multiple souls of demons and angels alike...

Destroying the black soul stone would send Diablo and the other evils to the abyss, where they eventually would be reborn. If it's similar to the crystal arch, which it should be, then the time it would take for them to be reborn is not really known. Diablo and the angels are immortal beings, they don't simply die. I don't think there's any mention of arch angels being reborn, but Tyrael did mention that he found it strange that Izual was not reborn from the crystal arch, meaning he expected him to be reborn...

Basically they didn't need to retcon and use these broken plots to bring Diablo back, he will ALWAYS come back.
Reply Quote

Except why would it? Why would smashing the black soulstone get rid of them when smashing the others just sends them to the abyss?
Edited by Telzen#1416 on 5/19/2012 9:39 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Undead Mage
Lore never reveals a distinctive difference between Tyrael's soulstones and Kulle's black soulstone, aside from Kulle's being able to hold multiple souls of demons and angels alike...

Destroying the black soul stone would send Diablo and the other evils to the abyss, where they eventually would be reborn. If it's similar to the crystal arch, which it should be, then the time it would take for them to be reborn is not really known. Diablo and the angels are immortal beings, they don't simply die. I don't think there's any mention of arch angels being reborn, but Tyrael did mention that he found it strange that Izual was not reborn from the crystal arch, meaning he expected him to be reborn...

Basically they didn't need to retcon and use these broken plots to bring Diablo back, he will ALWAYS come back.

Alright so you blame Blizzard for retcons and broken plots that don't even exist in the first place, had you listened to any of the dialog you would know that. And then you make up random !@#$ about the abyss and the crystal arch, saying that they "should be" similar in function. I'm sorry, did you create the Diablo Lore? Are you one of the original writers for the Diablo series? Because you sure as hell are pretending to be, and you're wrong in that post several times. Demons* (You only reffered to Diablo) and Angels are both Immortal beings, however they can both die. We know this... because we've been killing them for three games straight, and the only reasons that they have ever returned is due to actual devices or spells that are based in the lore AND WRITTEN IN BY THE PEOPLE WHO CREATED THE UNIVERSE.

Izual wasn't expected to be reborn either, when an angel dies, a new one is born from the arch to take their place, it is a NEW angel, not the same. But because Izual didn't die, he was corrupted, he never was replaced. Tyrael found this odd initially because Izual was believed killed, they had no idea that he had been turned. Go read up on it before coming in here and telling me IM wrong when every point you've made thus far is completely wrong, and its obvious everything you think you know about the story, you've misinterpreted in some way.

Please learn what the %^-* you are talking about before telling people they are wrong... Oh my ignorance.
Edited by SheepDogWoof#1146 on 5/19/2012 9:47 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Undead Mage
05/19/2012 09:38 PMPosted by Telzen

Except why would it? Why would smashing the black soulstone get rid of them when smashing the others just sends them to the abyss?

Because they have never been sent to the abyss, ever since they were exiled by the lessers they have never left sanctuary, Adria marked their souls, binding them to Sanctuary in the event of their deaths. Diablo knew they would be killed by the Heroes and had Adria do this with the intent of using the stone to become the Prime Evil, as he possessed Leah's body, the perfect host for him alone, he assumed control of all the other Evils.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5271778117?page=1

Complete explanation of the story^
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]