Diablo® III

Story isn't just bad. It makes NO SENSE.

85 Undead Mage
Seriously, I think you guys are downplaying the abilities of the writers by a ridiculous margin, its a complicated series of events set in motion by Diablo before even the events of the first game, with his intentions to eventually become the Prime Evil. This plan works obviously, I don't think anyone is disputing that, but you guys aren't looking at all the details strewn across the entire series as a whole. This was all his plan, all along, he expected us to kill his brethren, and so he set things in motion in order to use that to his advantage in his plot to become the Prime Evil

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5271778117?page=1

Full Explanation^
Reply Quote
Your explanation is menial at best and you still have little understanding of Diablo lore. I suggest you read the Book of Cain, which is canon...

The crystal arch and the black abyss both serve the same function, they spawn angels and demons respectively. I'm unaware of any lore that suggests angels aren't reborn as they are, but demons surely are and there's many examples of demons being reborn from the abyss...

You keep missing the point about the plot hole I laid out. This isn't something revolutionary and it's something that's been pointed out by many people spanning many forums. It is a plot hole via poor writing, and again I suggest you read my post so you understand exactly why it's a plot hole. You seem to keep dancing around Adria "marking" the souls schtick, that doesn't matter, it's the fact that nobody (including you) seemed to understand that Adria marking souls that otherwise would have gone to the abyss is traitorous in and of itself... Tyrael and Leah should have realized that right away, but they didn't because of poor writing. I don't know why you don't realize it, but I have my theories... lol.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Hunter
Even though I have never played D2, I think some of the story plot points had to have happened when Cain and Leah went on their long trips to other lands. Seems slightly plausible

Happy Hunting:D
Reply Quote
Enkidu I support you man. They don't understand the real hole. Adria's betrayal didn't occur during Diablo 3. The fact that she nullified the first attempt to send the baddies to the abyss is what really matters. Clearly her goal was to transfer them into the black soul stone, but how does she justify that to Tyrael or anyone else who cares to think about it? Why not just send them to the abyss during D2?

Somewhere in here someone posted that Diablo and his mates needed to be in the black soul stone for this process to work is that the case? Because that would make this whole argument useless. I really want to know :D I cant find an answer.
Reply Quote
Thanks, at least someone gets it!

The black soulstone is just an improved, but flawed version of Tyrael's soulstones. It can hold any demon or angel soul and it can hold multiple souls. It just "leaks" more then the original soulstones. It took the primes nearly 200 years to corrupt Tyrael's soulstones, but just a few days or whatever to nearly drain Leah completely in the black soulstone.

Another problem I see is that soulstones were not made to destroy demons, but to imprison them. So from the very start the whole "get the black soulstone and destroy it" plot doesn't make much sense. If you've watched Diablo 3: Wrath, the angels make it quite clear that imprisoning a demon is far more valuable then killing them.

Kulle's original idea was probably to imprison all of the evils along with the Angiris council, taking over control of both the high heavens and the burning hells. Presumably he'd store the filled soulstone in his archives, not destroy it so they can be reborn in time...
Reply Quote
Yeah. The black soul stone, as written, was only nessasssary because Adria betrayed them once, by marking the souls. If she hadn't, unless everything they told us about shattering the stones was false, there could never have been a prime evil because they would have been exiled forever in D2. But Adria borked that, and for some reason this doesn't worry anyone, even the people who made the first plan.

Nice idiot ball there my angel bro.
Reply Quote
Actually the story doesn't have to make sense because this is still D3 vanilla. Loose ends and plot holes can be filled later on (also, someone claimed that there would be 2 expansions for D3). However, though the story itself is okay, the writing is just horrible because if they're going for the "makes no sense here because we're going to wrap it up in the next 2 expansions" thing, they could've foreshadowed it correctly. But they didn't.

The only explanation I have of this Black Soulstone dilemma is that the Black Soulstone didn't hold the 7 at all, but only 2 (Belial and Azmodan, since we've seen them trapped in it), and Diablo who was essentially the vessel of Diablo himself but NOT ACTUALLY DIABLO (as Diablo was already defeated in D2 and his soulstone smashed, along with his). This explains why the Prime Evil we fought at the end of D3's Act 4 only had 3 heads when according to the Book of Cain Tathamet, the Prime Evil, had 7 (for each of the 7 lords of Hell).
Reply Quote
I was disappointed by the lack of imagination and originality in D3's story. The cinematics were nicely done (as we have come to expect from Blizzard) but the main plot-line of the story was lacking in many aspects. It felt short, un-finished and overlooked. It seems that they focused more on gameplay rather than an amusing story. That isn't a bad thing, but it certainly isn't a good thing, either. What happened to the original Diablo plot-lines? The story from D1 was far more sophisticated and amusing than D3's. I really hope that the expansion/s fix this problem, and offer up a fresh, original story much like the first two Diablos.
Reply Quote
60 Tauren Druid
Did anyone else notice (Spoilers btw) that the camera purposely showed the Black Soulstone falling from Heaven after Diablo's body burned away as he fell? I don't think theres any other way Blizz could go with that other than to bring all of the evils back from the stone (As it fell to an unknown part of Sanctuary) through another Xpac or Diablo 4. Maybe its found by someone, who accidentally unleashes all seven of the evils back into the world, or without Leah to hold in the souls, it splits open.

Just pointing that out, I agree that the story was rather poorly written. Excellent and interesting Lore and Story, but the writing for the dialogue and the lack-there-of explanation for almost everything that happened was disappointing. They leave you to fill in the gaps yourself, but because we dont know what ACTUALLY caused all of this we start freaking out because it doesn't make sense

:P

If you look closely enough the Black soulstone actually evaporates. It's not coming back.
Reply Quote
Not exactly, it just stops glowing but it doesn't turns to dust. It's more like they doesn't make it too obvious that it's still whole but it is without a doubt whole.

But there are some things about Adria that I want to point out.

She apparently have a skill that can TAG PRIME EVILS and send to a crystal without the Prime Evils having any say in it.
How does this skill work? Is it like "Tag, you're it, lol." *Runs away*

If she has been able to tag the other Demon lords without a problem it begs to question how some Naga are able to capture her. The Demon lords spirit couldn't have been out in the open could they?

But this skill would be so handy. She didn't in fact need the help of her daughter to begin with. Just tag the spirit after you've killed the lord and it's done.

Also where did she learn this skill? Wouldn't the Demon lords have a huge issue with it? Like if any normal human can just tag their spirit to be sent into a black soul stone. That sounds like a huge disadvantage for them because she could tag them at any time.

Not to mention when she sends these souls it doesn't matter how far away they are or what it is in front of them. They will go to that black soul stone no matter what.

For me the story wasn't that impressive.
Reply Quote
well, she is a witch( a powerful one) but im guessing she got corrupted by diablo, and thats why all that happened, cause if she could tag the demons, she could have obtained the power for herself like zoltan kulle tried to do, but since she was corrupted, she didn't?
Edited by djdkmowze#1124 on 5/20/2012 2:52 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
If you don't get it then you obviously didn't pay attention to the story at all. Adria "marked" the souls so they would be trapped in the black soul stone instead of the stones we used in D2. So in D2 we actually destroyed empty soul stones. The black soul stone ,although not finished, could still trap souls. When the black soul stone was to be finished Kulle was going to use it to unleash the power of the nephalem there fore turning all humans into them. It's really not hard to understand at all. What gets me is the fact that you can only truly be rid of the lords of hell by destroying the soul stone they are trapped in but at the end of D3 they just let the black soul stone fall with Diablo and just went "meh." I understand that leaves room for the expansion but still, kind of an important artifact to just completely forget about.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
Not exactly, it just stops glowing but it doesn't turns to dust. It's more like they doesn't make it too obvious that it's still whole but it is without a doubt whole.

But there are some things about Adria that I want to point out.

She apparently have a skill that can TAG PRIME EVILS and send to a crystal without the Prime Evils having any say in it.

If she has been able to tag the other Demon lords without a problem it begs to question how some Naga are able to capture her. The Demon lords spirit couldn't have been out in the open could they?

But this skill would be so handy. She didn't in fact need the help of her daughter to begin with. Just tag the spirit after you've killed the lord and it's done.

Also where did she learn this skill? Wouldn't the Demon lords have a huge issue with it? Like if any normal human can just tag their spirit to be sent into a black soul stone. That sounds like a huge disadvantage for them because she could tag them at any time.

Not to mention when she sends these souls it doesn't matter how far away they are or what it is in front of them. They will go to that black soul stone no matter what.

For me the story wasn't that impressive.
You forget that the lorde of hell are arrogant. Even if they were tagged you still had to be able to kill them. Also Adria was working with Diablo so I am pretty sure the other lords of hell had no idea what was going on.
Reply Quote
The thing that really rubbed me the wrong way was the story bit where Tyrael was the only one to care for the humans... "oh, and also the angel of Fate... and Hope".
Edited by Kovaelin#1568 on 1/25/2013 10:41 PM PST
Reply Quote
The souls of the defeated lords of Hell were tagged by Adria and re-directed to the soulstone once it was available. It didn't matter where the overlords were (in Sanctuary, Hell, the Abyss, another universe, McDonald's, etc.) The stone wasn't finished yet, but it still had the power to temporarily hold the overlords. A completed stone might hold them indefinitely. Adria was not working the soulstone; she was magically reaching out and tagging the overlords to be drawn into the stone. She needed to find it before this could happen.
Reply Quote
The specifics will come out in the expansion. Other than that, no real reason to believe the story doesn't make sense. Adria did a lot during Diablo 2
Reply Quote
The story makes fine sense, we just dont know all the answers. If you paid attention you would know Adria marked the souls to be drawn to the black soulstone, which although not finished does not mean it cannot contain anything. Even a shard of a regular soulstone can contain some evil power, the black soulstone being special in this case. Us not knowing the detailed specifics of how dria marked them is irrelevent to what makes sense.
Reply Quote
I'd like to chime in here. I do understand the huge "plot hole" being discussed and argued about. That Instead of just shattering the solstones of the evils and banishing them each to the abyss, Adria "marked" them into the black soul stone upon death hence there being at first sight a betryal. But I think the bigger issue is how the souls of the evils work in this universe. Killing a prime evil and smashing it's stone or what have you sends them to the abyss, will only delay their re-appearence because like Lilith, they obviously CAN come back at some point. So I don't think personally that Tyreal and Leah should have seen an instant betryal because like tyreals soulstones, they figured hey, we can trap them all in one stone and contain them for ever (pending no other evil person having intentions of setting them free which would be the challenge) and just hideing it or whatever for all eternity. They obviously know that "killing" them isn't permanent so you may as well at least TRY to contain them forever. There is no simple answer and end all of the evil problems.

In response to people saying that the story of D3 is lacking compared to D1 etc etc, that's easily answerable. The problem is, as stories progress with more plot lines and such, more of the past and later made story, the story as a whole becomes a lot larger and known thus taking the dark "unknown" of a simple story in the beginning of a storyline. Take the Matrix movies as an example. Let's assume you had only just seen the first movie and knew nothing else of the story. In and of itself, it was a great movie/story because it was the first of the story, and didn't raise many questions other than, what could happen next. It was all so mysterious about a "real world" and it's past etc. But as the other 2 came out, we as an audience saw so much unfold from the past and present that it kind of diluted the story's mystery and took away from the excitment. Same situation here in Diablo. D1 and D2 were dark, lightly touched on plots as it created only a few more. But with D3, we got a lot of retcon and serious attempts to broaden the story enough to justify a 3rd game with Xpac's. Although I think the game/story could have been done a lot better/darker than what we got. Especially with Diablo and his newest vessel/model being of Leah characteristic of a female which looked horrid. D2's model just looked and felt EVIL. Act4 should hace somewhat started in heaven, but ended in hell. And they did a bad job of doing the heavens. It seem'd so small and too many damn portals to another SMALL section. Anyways, I like this discussion, keep it up!
Reply Quote

It certainly implies that she's more powerful than Tal-Rasha and Tyrael -and the rest of the Horadrim-, who couldn't come up with this.
Reply Quote
05/18/2012 04:11 AMPosted by Mijuu
Yes, diablo did have breasts as well as a feminine walk... Watch the art videos in 'the making of'. They wanted diablo to look like a chick because 'he' came out of a female body this time instead of the dark wanderer.... so really diablo is more of an 'it' than a male or female....

No boobs though. If you look at their model, you can see it is actually an extension of shoulder armor, up close you can actually see beneath the chitinous plates, there is a gap. But yes, it does evoke a feminine body/armor.

You know .....in the cinematic as it (?), Diablo that is goes off to burn Heaven I noticed the smexy tail and that hip swing.

I have the weirdest bonner right now....

It happens. Would've been better if they just made Diablo(a) a female, I have a thing for demonic chicks.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]