Diablo® III

I Really Want To Use Zombie Dogs, However...

1 Orc Hunter
i really want to run around sanctuary with a pack of zombie dogs, i really, really do. however, the way the game is now, summon zombie dogs is a waste of a skill slot and so is circle of life at only 5% proc rate; all this also makes sacrifice useless as well. that's three, THREE skills blizzard, that you dedicated to zombie dogs. obviously, you think its cool to run around sanctuary with zombie dogs as well.
in-game though, it aint so cool to run around sanctuary with a pack of zombie dogs, /sadface. here are changes to the dogs that would help us to fulfill both our dreams of running around sanctuary with zombie dogs:
1. change circle of life to 30 yards and 50% proc.
2. build 'sacrifice' into their deaths.
if you make these 2 simple changes, i guarantee you will have a lot more WD's running around with zombie dogs.
Reply Quote
I agree that would make them more viable.. As they stand now I would be okay with them if they had a 30 second cooldown.. With those changes I still think a 45 second cooldown. Though I'm okay with circle of life staying small to reward those witch doctors brave enough to enter the fray, else it would be near univerally better to just take circle of life rather than the actual zombie dog skill.
Edited by Wuji#1857 on 5/19/2012 6:37 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I made it to nightmare using the dogs with relatively little issue and unless they suddenly start keeling over as soon as an enemy looks at them I'm keeping mine. Of course I run a completely pet centric build so they're well geared towards survivability.
Reply Quote
05/19/2012 06:49 AMPosted by ShinyPogs
I made it to nightmare using the dogs with relatively little issue and unless they suddenly start keeling over as soon as an enemy looks at them I'm keeping mine. Of course I run a completely pet centric build so they're well geared towards survivability.

You mind linking your build? I kind of want to go pet-centric. Do you use a shield?
Reply Quote
The problem is, walking around sanctuary with zombie dogs is cool, you just cant, because they are always dead.
Reply Quote

You mind linking your build? I kind of want to go pet-centric. Do you use a shield?

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#aiYdZT!Zdb!baaZZZ
During certain boss fights I switch the dogs rune to life link but otherwise I pretty much just run this and I have the templar tagging along when I play solo. I used a shield from about 15-30 with a topaz slotted in it ( once I got a slotted shield) for extra int so I wasn't sacrificing damage output for extra survivability. Now I have a snake in my offhand for the mana regen and whatnot.

The biggest part of running a pet build for me is understanding synergy and staying together.
Your dogs should always be where you can see them and back them up, since enemies cluster like starcraft 2 units in this game it's not that hard. grasp of the dead to slow !@#$ down, acid rain to kill/ fatally damage and dogs + garg clean up the remains. I'm behind them during battles but never too far away and I can wade into a mob if I need to.
Edited by ShinyPogs on 5/19/2012 7:50 AM PDT
Reply Quote
05/19/2012 06:49 AMPosted by ShinyPogs

Coincidentily enough, that's about exactly when they start to keel over and die instantly. I'm in Act 2 NM and just switched out zombie dogs for mass confusion (w/ rune to raise zombie dogs). It lasts longer and any dogs that spawn is just icing on the cake.

I have nearly 5000 life and my armor gives me 45% damage reduction. This skill is !@#$.
Reply Quote
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5149537973

this is the buil;d and strategy I've been using and has worked pretty well for me so far
Reply Quote
05/19/2012 07:44 AMPosted by ShinyPogs

During certain boss fights I switch the dogs rune to life link but otherwise I pretty much just run this and I have the templar tagging along when I play solo. I used a shield from about 15-30 with a topaz slotted in it ( once I got a slotted shield) for extra int so I wasn't sacrificing damage output for extra survivability. Now I have a snake in my offhand for the mana regen and whatnot.

The biggest part of running a pet build for me is understanding synergy and staying together.
Your dogs should always be where you can see them and back them up, since enemies cluster like starcraft 2 units in this game it's not that hard. grasp of the dead to slow !@#$ down, acid rain to kill/ fatally damage and dogs + garg clean up the remains. I'm behind them during battles but never too far away and I can wade into a mob if I need to.

I run a similar setup, but I pretty much have dogs 24/7. You have to support them no doubt. Grasp and Acid Cloud are perfect ways to soften and lockdown targets. That lets the dogs come in and clean up.

If they do get low on health I'll explode them and re-spawn them right after. Of course that's only if the CD has been finished.
Reply Quote

I run a similar setup, but I pretty much have dogs 24/7. You have to support them no doubt. Grasp and Acid Cloud are perfect ways to soften and lockdown targets. That lets the dogs come in and clean up.

If they do get low on health I'll explode them and re-spawn them right after. Of course that's only if the CD has been finished.

Oh my pets are out at all times too but I have good movement speed so they never end up running off far ahead of me. Templar is good at sticking with me, it's actually the garg who will wander if he spots an elite and goes into rage mode determined to kill it.
Reply Quote
I am level 48 in act3 nm and I can tell you they are worthless. They last 1-2 hits on normal mobs. This is also with fierce loyalty, zombie handler and jungle fortitude. Picture bringing the zombie dogs to fight the skeleton king in beta. Now picture that every mob you fight is the skeleton king and thats how long they last in nm.
Reply Quote
05/19/2012 08:19 AMPosted by Unnoan
I am level 48 in act3 nm and I can tell you they are worthless. They last 1-2 hits on normal mobs. This is also with fierce loyalty, zombie handler and jungle fortitude. Picture bringing the zombie dogs to fight the skeleton king in beta. Now picture that every mob you fight is the skeleton king and thats how long they last in nm.

What about Garg/fetish army?

I was toying with trying to find a way to just go full on pet handler, but it doesn't seem like thats took viable
Reply Quote
If your plan is to summon an army and let them do all the work, they will certainly disappoint. You are a team with your pets, and you have to act like it. Play to their strengths and they will last much longer.

Advantages:

1: The dogs detect enemies long before they are on screen, when you see the dogs begin to run ahead of you, it lets you know in advance there are enemies present. This gives you several extra seconds to prepare for nuking.

2: The dogs fill choke points very effectively. If you have the zombie handler buff, garg, and templar, you will have 6 NPCs to hold any choke point. that divides the damage amongst them and buys you more time to lay down the heavy hitting spells before enemies start to break through.

Disadvantages:

1: Dogs are not high damage dealers. So, if you send them off to fight a group on their own, they will die.
Reply Quote
My plan was pretty much using the pets for CC and holding choke points while firebombing/acid cloud.

It works so far, but I'm only level 22 in Act II normal
Edited by Ghent#1597 on 5/19/2012 8:53 AM PDT
Reply Quote
If your plan is to summon an army and let them do all the work, they will certainly disappoint. You are a team with your pets, and you have to act like it. Play to their strengths and they will last much longer.

Advantages:

1: The dogs detect enemies long before they are on screen, when you see the dogs begin to run ahead of you, it lets you know in advance there are enemies present. This gives you several extra seconds to prepare for nuking.

2: The dogs fill choke points very effectively. If you have the zombie handler buff, garg, and templar, you will have 6 NPCs to hold any choke point. that divides the damage amongst them and buys you more time to lay down the heavy hitting spells before enemies start to break through.

Disadvantages:

1: Dogs are not high damage dealers. So, if you send them off to fight a group on their own, they will die.

You'd think this would be common sense. 0.o Play smart.
Reply Quote
I prefer burning dogs personally when I use them. At least some Aoe damage, before they die.
Reply Quote
What about Garg/fetish army?

I was toying with trying to find a way to just go full on pet handler, but it doesn't seem like thats took viable

Garg and fetish are okay at my current level. I can't say past act4 nm.

Advantages:

Disadvantages:

Dogs don't do anything. Why would I even waste a skill slot when I could put in fear or mass confusion and do the intended job 500 times better with one skill and no passive wastes. The fact is the dogs don't even last long enough to nuke anything. Mass confusiion will occupy everyone on the screen for 12 seconds allowing me to escape with an even lower cooldown than zombie dogs. Zombie dogs regardless of passives will run out and die within the first 2-5 seconds, then be on a 60 second cooldown.
Edited by Unnoan#1688 on 5/19/2012 11:38 AM PDT
Reply Quote
You do realize they scale with you so if your gear is abysmal and you are just trying to kite everything, they will be horrible.

Are you even stacking correctly?
Reply Quote
I am at the end of act 2 NM and use zombie dogs all the time. If they do die, The cooldown is always off and rdy to recast them. I currently have 12.5k life and 2k dmg at lvl 43. So it must be a gear problem for you guys.
Edited by Digitydawg#1678 on 5/19/2012 11:52 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Yea I'm into nightmare myself and I have been using exploding Zombie dogs as long as I've had them. Nothing I have as WD clears that much of a room than 4 exploding dogs. Plus they frequently revive after exploding making them still useful for boss type enemies. The 20% damage reduction skill helps a lot.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]