Diablo® III

The fate of the Black Soulstone. (Spoilers)

BEFORE ANYTHING HAPPENS, IF YOU DON'T LIKE SPOILERS, CLOSE THIS RIGHT NOW AND PRETEND YOU DID NOT JUST READ THIS.

I have a few questions to ask:
1. Is Diablo truly dead?
-The angels dumped his/her carcass outside the tower, and his/her body disintegrates as it falls to the ground. His/her soul, which I assume are those black-ish orbs because Belial and Azmodan's souls are just like that, is not found. So it's either Diablo is truly dead or simply contained in the Black Soulstone.

2. Are the other Evil's souls still in the Black Soulstone or were they destroyed when Diablo died?
-It was not actually explained to me the specifics on how Diablo became the Prime Evil. All that was given to us was the ritual and Adria firing a red beam at Leah, in which her soul was replaced by Diablo's. I wonder if the other Evil's souls were meshed with Diablo's, making him the Prime Evil, or if they were still imprisoned in the Black Soulstone, and as a result, Diablo having no political enemies trying to stop him, so he simply proclaimed him/herself supreme over all of Hell. And that brings to my third, and hopefully last, question....

3. Why did we simply threw away Diablo, and with that, the Black Soulstone, when Diablo was defeated for the third time
-No explanation needed. You just have to watch the final cinematic once more to understand. Oversight, maybe, but I really doubt that since this is Blizzard we're talking about.

Thanks in advance.
Reply Quote
I don't think they "dumped" him off the Crystal Arch platform, per se. It was more like Diablo's plan to get off the platform and thus disintegrate, with the Black Soulstone faling off and out the Angels' hands so they could live once more. It makes more sense that way. Diablo wouldn't be Heaven's arch-nemesis for eternities beyond counting if he doesn't possess a minimal level of cunning.

As for Diablo being Prime Evil: it only seems that way because it was Leah's body (basically Diablo's daughter) in which he had taken form on, and would thus be the dominant personality of the evils.

I also doubt that the Black Soulstone's origins were purposefully left hazy and unclear. I've always stated this here in the Story Forum: WE DIDN'T TRAP THE OTHER EVILS IN THE BLACK SOULSTONE in D2. Ever. This leaves the idea that the Black Soulstone only actually contained Belial and Azmodan infused with Diablo (explaining his three heads, when the original Prime Evil, Tathamet, had SEVEN), and not the 7 itself.
Reply Quote
88 Undead Warlock
I don't think they "dumped" him off the Crystal Arch platform, per se. It was more like Diablo's plan to get off the platform and thus disintegrate, with the Black Soulstone faling off and out the Angels' hands so they could live once more. It makes more sense that way. Diablo wouldn't be Heaven's arch-nemesis for eternities beyond counting if he doesn't possess a minimal level of cunning.

As for Diablo being Prime Evil: it only seems that way because it was Leah's body (basically Diablo's daughter) in which he had taken form on, and would thus be the dominant personality of the evils.

I also doubt that the Black Soulstone's origins were purposefully left hazy and unclear. I've always stated this here in the Story Forum: WE DIDN'T TRAP THE OTHER EVILS IN THE BLACK SOULSTONE in D2. Ever. This leaves the idea that the Black Soulstone only actually contained Belial and Azmodan infused with Diablo (explaining his three heads, when the original Prime Evil, Tathamet, had SEVEN), and not the 7 itself.

SO....

you are essentially saying that Adria actually lied?

And Diablo lied also about having all their powers?
Reply Quote

SO....

you are essentially saying that Adria actually lied?

And Diablo lied also about having all their powers?

Nah, Diablo do have the power all seven evils. This can be seen from your trip through the silver spire. In Silver spire levels, you will encounter three minibosses. The first one is always the minion of terror, representing the Diablo's power. The other two are randomly chosen from the other six evils. So far I have encountered Azmodan, Belial, Andariel and Duriel.

As for Diablo falling to earth in the end, it may just be hero's kill blow sending him flying off the spire. Now, here is the important part: If the black soulstone is not destroyed immediately, all seven evils WILL be freed. It is stated in Act 3 that the black soulstone is not built to trap six demon lords indefinitely and certainly not all seven. While the stone is within Diablo, he has enough power to keep the souls of other demon lords in line, but since he is defeated, the demon lords are now free to escape.
Reply Quote
If he indeed have the power of the other six , he could have easily killed us all .
But i didn't see he exhibits different powers , come on , where is the god damn Azmonda 's fireball / dark pool ? Where is Beliah 's acid rain ?
The only thing he did was trying to trap us with his claw , cast some fire ring and throw us into his terror realm , and that 's it .
A bit disappointing......
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Warrior
Or perhaps was mistaken, a lot of the information regarding the black soulstone is taken at face value from Adria and Kulle, both of whom are not exactly reliable. Adria could either be wrong, or be lying. Either way, Diablo's own hubris could hide the fact that he could not recognize the absence of the other evils, or he realized the missing evils and chose not to tell/show it.

I personally disagree with Zanyuki, I'm just playing devil's advocate here.

In response to ButterFunker's post, I don't think Diablo is dead by any means. We already know that killing the physical form of an evil does not "kill" them, so his body disintegrating means little. We also know from what little we've seen of the black soulstone that there is a ritual for containing an one of the evils within the stone, which obviously never occurred when Diablo was killed. It seems more likely that his evil left to wander, as seems to happen when an evil dies until they can be reincarnated, and will most likely play a role in later games.

If his spirit is left to wander, then the question is what happened to the other evils. Well there are two options:
1.) Diablo actually was the Prime Evil and had all evils inside him
or
2.) He lied, he didn't know, etc. about the absence of the evils inside him.

In case 1 it seems that the black soulstone fell empty, and the evils would have separated and wandered such as they would have done without the black soulstone being present. OR, the Prime Evil now wanders as one evil.

In case 2, the souls not inside of the black soulstone to start are still wandering the planet and will inevitably reincarnate. In which case the evils within Diablo would either wander as one new evil, comprised of the three (Belial, Azmodan, and Diablo), or they would split and wander separately.

I think in either case its safe to say that the soulstone is now empty. There was no ritual binding what was in Diablo (regardless of what it was) to the stone, and what WAS in the stone (whether it be all evils or just the ones we saw bound to the stone in game) was already directed into Diablo at the end of Act III
Reply Quote
If he indeed have the power of the other six , he could have easily killed us all .
But i didn't see he exhibits different powers , come on , where is the god damn Azmonda 's fireball / dark pool ? Where is Beliah 's acid rain ?
The only thing he did was trying to trap us with his claw , cast some fire ring and throw us into his terror realm , and that 's it .
A bit disappointing......

Consider that he wiped the floor with Imperius with minimum effort, I would see he does indeed have the power of all seven evils. In the story, the Nephalem hero is quite a bit more powerful than Imperius.
The reason why he did not use the other evils' attack is because it is redundant as far as mechanic goes. Sure it will be more flavor for the story, but it is not worth the effort to implement/balance these attacks.
Reply Quote
Old thread but ill give my two cents. Diablo is most likely the prime evil because of the forces he commands. One of the unique bosses in the silver tower is the Aspect of Lies, titled as Belial's Assassin, which implies Diablo has taken custody of belials forces as well. Sure, he might just have command of Belial and Azmodans forces but then consider that the Mallet Lords (6 armed giants) have joined him, beings described as having no loyalties to any one evil.
Edited by Urizen#2437 on 5/28/2012 11:33 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Whatever the case I do believe I smell a Diablo 4 coming our way in maybe what? 10 years. There is simply to many possibilities of outcomes with the black soulstone not being destroyed for blizzard not to have something tucked away. And in the off chance they didn't have something planned they would most likely see all the speculation and pounce on the money making potential of a fourth Diablo game
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]