Diablo® III

R.I.P Archon

It is with great sorrow i now abandon my by far favourite wizard spell, the Arcon.
You might think im crazy and wonder why i would do something like this, but progressing through Inferno it is not an ability i can use any more. I would love to have the damage boost from it, but there are too many drawbacks:

(It is worth mentioning that i play in 4 man groups 90% of the time)

1. The cooldown
The cooldown has to be there or this spell will be too OP. However when we are fighting elites in Inferno i get no kills in archon form and it ends after 15 seconds. The cooldown means i get to use it once per elite fight.

2. No OH-F**K button
In my build i use wormhole teleport, illusionist and diamond skin to GTFO when !@#$ hits the fan. If i am in Archon form i cant escape when i get ambushed by mobs. In inferno, %^-* hits the fan all the time so it is actually unusual that i get to use my archon for the full 15 seconds. I usually die long before that.

3. It occupies a spell slot.
Occupying a spell slot with a spell that is on CD most of the time seems like a sacrifice that is not worth it.

Whenever i play in normal/NM/hell i will use this ability. It is awsome, and epic fun.

If however blizz could give you your normal abilities, but a buffed version in archon form it would be much much more viable for Inferno.
Reply Quote
It is with great sorrow i now abandon my by far favourite wizard spell, the Arcon.
You might think im crazy and wonder why i would do something like this, but progressing through Inferno it is not an ability i can use any more. I would love to have the damage boost from it, but there are too many drawbacks:

(It is worth mentioning that i play in 4 man groups 90% of the time)

1. The cooldown
The cooldown has to be there or this spell will be too OP. However when we are fighting elites in Inferno i get no kills in archon form and it ends after 15 seconds. The cooldown means i get to use it once per elite fight.

2. No OH-F**K button
In my build i use wormhole teleport, illusionist and diamond skin to GTFO when !@#$ hits the fan. If i am in Archon form i cant escape when i get ambushed by mobs. In inferno, %^-* hits the fan all the time so it is actually unusual that i get to use my archon for the full 15 seconds. I usually die long before that.

3. It occupies a spell slot.
Occupying a spell slot with a spell that is on CD most of the time seems like a sacrifice that is not worth it.

Whenever i play in normal/NM/hell i will use this ability. It is awsome, and epic fun.

If however blizz could give you your normal abilities, but a buffed version in archon form it would be much much more viable for Inferno.

They should add/remake 1 rune for the Archos ability, that gives you more escape abilities to make it worth having. Not like its fun to go into Archos form and only have 4 spells to use, 3 of which are damageing abilities, and 1 is a Teleport Or a Slow time......

Ofcourse it wont do !@#$ in Inferno unless we get to use something like Diamond skin-Frost Nova etc when we Transform into Archon. And even if they would do these changes, i would not want it since it is on such a HUGE CD, 2 minutes CD is way to long for an ability you get to use for 15 seconds, and you usually pop it to help finish of some high hp monster, not like you gona pop Archon to kill a pack of 5-10 low hp monsters unless you know you can chain-pull for extra added Archon time (which i would say is only really viable-doable in act3)
Reply Quote
Exactly!

It was very viable in NM/hell when i actually could kill tons of monsters and have my archon for 1-2 minutes, but in inferno it is useless..
Reply Quote
Just make Archon not replace the spells in slots 1-4. Bam, instantly viable.

Heck, they should just make it not replace any spells at all except for itself (Archon button turns into SOOPER ARCHON BEAM for the duration) and just give it a generic damage amp. An activateable super mode would be more useful in higher difficulties than its current implementation
Reply Quote
How about just turning into the Archon and increase all armor/resist by 40% and damage by 75% or 100% ?

That would make me keep the ability..
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Mage
If !@#$ hits the fan with it I just click the buff off and get out. So far I can burn down atleast one member of the pack before I need to do that though.
Reply Quote
I often dont have time to remove the buff if i am for instance vortexed into molten/plauged mobs (which happends quite often :P )

Also it seems that the point of the archon is that you can kill many mobs to keep your archon for a long time, and in Inferno you can rarely keep it for more then 20-30 seconds. In the rare cases where you can keep it for a long time (the carrion nest event in act 1 etc) you would be perfectly fine without it..

If you can burst for 5-10 seconds and then remove the buff i still say that a spell like hydra is better suited for that spell slot.. If you have to run around alot to avoid getting gibbed, hydra is an amazing source of damage
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Mage
Yeah, I see Archon as being much better when you are geared extremely well and are able to keep it up longer.
Reply Quote
I can totally see that in 5-6 months when we are farming act 4 inferno for epixxx that archon can be viable again. If i have 75k dps and can survive a few hits i could nuke down anthing that comes in my path.

However it seems odd that blizzard should make a spell that is utterly useless in a large portion of the game. By a large portion i mean act 1-2 inferno (probably 3-4 also but i dont know yet).
Reply Quote
05/20/2012 11:39 AMPosted by Chrysalis
Heck, they should just make it not replace any spells at all except for itself (Archon button turns into SOOPER ARCHON BEAM for the duration) and just give it a generic damage amp. An activateable super mode would be more useful in higher difficulties than its current implementation

+1 for this.

Also, killing mobs while archon is on CD should remove 1s to the remaining time left. Or something.
Reply Quote
At the moment, in Inferno, Archon is either broken powerful or broken useless. This is not particularly ejoyable.
Reply Quote
+1

Hallelujah Brother. Archon R.I.P

Archon should be balanced massive buff for wizard with cooldown around 30s.

I Hope this skill gets fixed in the next patch.
Reply Quote
Doesn't archon have a teleport rune though? but yeah I would like to have my diamond skin while in archon >_<
Reply Quote
Archon has the a teleport rune, but i think this is just a normal un-runed teleport. I think all wizards agree that teleport without a rune is quite useless..
Reply Quote
It was my crutch to kill inferno butcher....

30k a second...sure why not.
Reply Quote
You can ctrl+right click the archon square at the bottom to cancel the effect before 15s is up. Best of luck trying to do that in battle though ;)
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
Id like it to be a super buff, like the Armors, where its always up, but maybe reduces your AP, and increases your Armor and movement speed.

That, and instead of replacing your spells, just enhance your Damage rating.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Death Knight
Archon was the only reason I was able to make it past Act 1. The 3 minute enrage timer on Butcher is next to impossible without doing 50k dps.
Reply Quote
Yeah, I'm pretty sure everyone who's played the second half of Hell + Inferno has realised this already. Archon is nigh-useless during the lategame. It's just not worth a slot with its lengthy cooldown and lack of utility/defensive abilities. On top of that, you may as well replace it with magic weapon and give yourself more overall sustained DPS.
Reply Quote
the archon is good as it is.its very very powerful when you have a tank for infernal.and its a ridicoulus pain in the !@# when facing elite packs being solo.this might be a little off topic now.but why dont we you discuss other broken spells. i mean lets be honest........has anyone of you guys EVER used storm armor(holy crap, 70% wep dmg when you get hit which is basicly what you want to avoid in hell/infernal), Energy Twister(...), Meteor (60 Arcane power for a delayed meteor with ridicoulus low dmg for the high cost).
I would almost add explosive blast.but im temporarely working on a kiting build including time bomb.

So again.the archon is great as it is.Changing the archon so that we can use all of our abilities just with a stronger effect would make this form way to powerful.With a charged up ray of frost-snow blast i am already hitting for 35-38k per second (when having a tank so i can channel it of course).
The problem is that infernal feels some1 broken.we should be happy that we are one of the classes that can actually do something in infernal mode.

always open for constructive criticism.
cheers
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]