Diablo® III

Emperor Hakkan

100 Night Elf Druid
So... what happened to the real kid? Did he die? Did he never exist? Was he locked up? What happened to him? Seems a rather large plot hole. I mean if he's dead then Caldeum is without a royal family. If he's alive then you'd think he'd want to thank the people who saved his empire. Either way it seems like a gap.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
05/20/2012 12:09 PMPosted by SirGiff
He was either killed and replaced or possessed.

And as I said both create problems that you would think would be mentioned. I was hoping someone found something that mentioned it, but apparently not.
Reply Quote
05/20/2012 01:27 PMPosted by Dathrel
He was either killed and replaced or possessed.

And as I said both create problems that you would think would be mentioned. I was hoping someone found something that mentioned it, but apparently not.

I assume the very same thing that happened to King Leoric's son.

Also, it's not really a "gap" so much as a loose end. The ending of Diablo III doesnt neatly tie up what happens to everybody, and everything. In all likelyhood if they are left without a royal descendant, then there will

A) Be other nobles who try to lay claim to the throne
B) Civil war

I have a suspicion that the leader of the Iron Wolves, the military force of Caldeum will take control.
Reply Quote
05/20/2012 10:53 AMPosted by Dathrel
Seems a rather large plot hole

It is. I was playing through all of Act II just waiting to be filled in on some of the story regarding him, but it was dropped. I would like to have at least found out whether there was even a real kid.
Reply Quote
87 Undead Warlock
05/20/2012 04:50 PMPosted by Gazenthia
Seems a rather large plot hole

It is. I was playing through all of Act II just waiting to be filled in on some of the story regarding him, but it was dropped. I would like to have at least found out whether there was even a real kid.

It's not an actual hole though
Reply Quote
I assume the real Emperor Hakan was possessed.

This means that when Belial assumed his true form Hakan would most likely be dead from birthing Belial's monstrous physical body. If it's anything like Diablo 1, Belial's true powers would've been vastly understated here, as did Diablo's in Albrecht's body, who was a child.

There could be civil war and a good witch hunt after our heroes were finished in Caldeum. It would boil down to a military junta where the Iron Wolves would take control of the government and install their own ruler, and if they're benevolent they would respect the right of succession and find the nearest suitable relative to take on the mantle of Emperor.
Reply Quote
I prefer to think that the child emperor hakkan never existed. Belial shapeshifted into the form of an infant and tricked the parents into thinking he was their kid. This method requires Belial to lie more than he would if he simply possessed some boy. The lies themselves are crueler as well, since they require Hakkan's "parents" to raise a creature that isn't related to them in any way.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
05/21/2012 01:55 AMPosted by Superbert
I prefer to think that the child emperor hakkan never existed. Belial shapeshifted into the form of an infant and tricked the parents into thinking he was their kid. This method requires Belial to lie more than he would if he simply possessed some boy. The lies themselves are crueler as well, since they require Hakkan's "parents" to raise a creature that isn't related to them in any way.

That's what I'm thinking.
Reply Quote
I seem to recall some lore from books in the Caldaeum inn that goes along the lines of the Emperor Hakaan I leaving the city, and coming back with a child in tow who he them proclaimed to be his heir. Not sure of the timescales between him returning with the child and his ordination, but one of the NPC's does make a comment along the lines of "He's not the same child that he once was".

Belial quite probably posessed the child and, being the Lord of Lies, used illusion to make everyone believe that he was still the same little boy. It seems obvious to me that he never had the gargantuan form, and that was just another illusion as, once you defeat his ginormous body, everything that had collapsed into the greewn swirly void thing magically reappears
Reply Quote
87 Undead Warlock
05/21/2012 05:02 AMPosted by Gorbaz
It seems obvious to me that he never had the gargantuan form, and that was just another illusion as, once you defeat his ginormous body, everything that had collapsed into the greewn swirly void thing magically reappears

The irony here is that before he does it he says "ENOUGH with these illusions!"
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Priest
For the Lord of Lies he certainly was a horrible liar. Everyone immediately thinks, "why keep a kid around when you can just possess him or make an illusion version of him?" Would have been a better lie if whats-her-face the Iron Wolves lady was the real bad guy.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Warrior
heuheuhuhe
Pretty much this.
Hakan is the wors lier ever. I recognized belial in his first words. I thought "i can't possibly trust this kid" look at this: he has a powerful amulet that can teleport him to wherever he want, he keeps swering that his goals are legit and all befor i even started to distrust him...it's obviously Belial.
Reply Quote
It's not so much that the "amulet" could teleport him around, as much as it could astral project him. And yes, it was an awful lie. "I saw this Visjeri mage using it, so I stole it and, even though I have absolutly no magical affinity whatsoever, I can use the amulet to cast a bound spell like a pro". Yeah. Believeable.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
Actually this situation is different from Albrecht because that was a soulstone. Belial got to Sanctuary directly from Arreat. The Worldstone prevented demons from directly entering Sanctuary, they required a hook on the other side. That's no longer the case (though they do still need someone to summon them to specific places). Belial simply passed through the Arreat Crater and used his shapeshifting to move around.

But nonetheless it's a plot point that's been left rather unaddressed. And it seems silly to put it in those random books since it's a far deal more important to the plot than simple missives from Azmodan to his minions or Leoric's journal.
Reply Quote
understanding requires previous knowledge of d2 and books.

Pretty much when the worldstone was destroyed Tyrael told the heroes it would save sanctuary for the time being... but not for long.
Edited by JPMT214#1117 on 5/30/2012 12:43 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
Caldeum societal rule is not patrolineal and successors to the throne of Kehjistan are found through Zakarum rituals. The Zakarum worked with the Iron Wolves, a mercenary company led by the renowned Asheara, to find Hakan II and keep him safe from the powerful merchant houses and mages of the Vizjerei Sanctum.[1]

When the wise and noble Hakan I died after he fell ill, his young son Hakan II took the throne, and much has been changed for the worse in Kehjistan. Many think of Hakan II as incompetent, and much of the empire has fallen in ruins.

Found this on Diablowiki.net, and it seems to be quoting something official. Guess that might explain it, suppose Belial has lots of patience. Though Hakan II is still described as Hakan I's son, it may only be adopted. So I guess the Zakarum ritual will have to be performed again and they'll have to find a new heir.
Reply Quote
He never existed. The priests who go find him are corrupted Zakarum Elders who moved to Caldeum from Kurast during the Troubles in Diablo 2. Hakkan has always been Belial, working at Mephisto's behest.

Edit: Am I seriously the only one in this thread who remembers Mephisto completely took over the Zakarum faith in Diablo 2? And wore the head of the Council of Elders as a meat puppet?
Edited by Ramenth#1258 on 6/1/2012 11:57 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
05/21/2012 01:55 AMPosted by Superbert

This. If you read the Book of Cain, Belial is described as caring only about deception and will spin webs upon webs of manipulation just because he can, just to improve the quality of the lies he tells. He takes a pleasure in the lie, to the point where he will even lie to himself and not realize it.
Edited by Melyria#1246 on 6/1/2012 12:06 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
He never existed. The priests who go find him are corrupted Zakarum Elders who moved to Caldeum from Kurast during the Troubles in Diablo 2. Hakkan has always been Belial, working at Mephisto's behest.

Edit: Am I seriously the only one in this thread who remembers Mephisto completely took over the Zakarum faith in Diablo 2? And wore the head of the Council of Elders as a meat puppet?

No you're not. Though not all the Zakarum were corrupted. The Paladin in Diablo 2 was a Zakarum and he was obviously a good guy. But it does seem like one of Mephisto's big plans to some extent. Also shows that Belial has lots of patience if he's willing to spend ten or so years as a growing little boy to get what he wants.

So I guess now the Zakarum ritual will be performed again and the new, TRUE, heir will be found. Captain Asheara will probably lead in the meantime and ensure that the ritual is performed by pure Zakarum.

I liked having a kid have a major role though, it was fun. Anyone know who voiced Hakan?
Edited by Liam#1912 on 6/1/2012 3:48 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]