Diablo® III

Combination strike mechanics tested

85 Worgen Druid
I've been spending some time testing out combination strike and figuring out how its mechanics work. I thought I would share my findings here given how popular combination strike builds were pre-release.

1. The bonuses will not appear as a buff on your bar, I had to watch the characters stats screen to track the buff presence and stacking. This makes it difficult to know if the buff is still up or not until you have a good intuition for it.

2. It procs not just on the 4 spirit generators, but also sweeping wind and exploding palm (for a total of 6 abilities which contribute to the buff). Not sure if this is a bug or is intended, as sweeping wind and exploding palm used to be spirit generators before they were changed. (The sweeping wind buff is applied when it does damage, not when you use the ability)

3. There is only 1 buff to refresh, not a buff per ability. This means that once you have used all of the 6 abilities once, you can spam a single ability to keep the full 6 stacked buff up.

Most hell+ monk builds seem to include a spirit generator and sweeping winds, which means that for most off-the-shelf builds combination strike will be worth a 16% damage increase.
Reply Quote
Damn, nice! I have a plethora of combination strike builds I'm interested in trying out, and this is some really solid info. Thanks!
Reply Quote
Can't do dmg if you're dead. Need those defensive passives :\
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Druid
05/20/2012 03:17 PMPosted by Laws
Can't do dmg if you're dead. Need those defensive passives :\

Inferno is a different beast, but I've been using a 4 ability CS build for hell act 3 with good success. The fact that sweeping winds procs the buff is really clutch.
Reply Quote
05/20/2012 02:08 PMPosted by Shez
2. It procs not just on the 4 spirit generators, but also sweeping wind and exploding palm (for a total of 6 abilities which contribute to the buff). Not sure if this is a bug or is intended, as sweeping wind and exploding palm used to be spirit generators before they were changed. (The sweeping wind buff is applied when it does damage, not when you use the ability)

Those two skills have runes that generate spirit. Were you using them or other runes?

Did you test the Mantra of Healing with the 2nd rune (Circular Breathing) that generates 3 spirit per sec? And how about Breath of Heaven with fourth rune Infused with Light, that boost the spirit generating attacks?

I think those are the only ones that generate spirits other than the primaries.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Druid
Those two skills have runes that generate spirit. Were you using them or other runes?

I was not using the spirit regeneration runes for those skills, no.

Did you test the Mantra of Healing with the 2nd rune (Circular Breathing) that generates 3 spirit per sec? And how about Breath of Heaven with fourth rune Infused with Light, that boost the spirit generating attacks?

I had tested BoH with the fourth rune, it does not apply. I just tested MoH for you and it doesn't seem to apply either.
Reply Quote
So it's probably a bug. They should correct to all skills+rune that generate spirit or to just the primaries.
I hope that goes for all, but I think it would be OP because of the combo MoH+SW+BoH+Primary (I just don't like EP) for +32% damage with the mantra keeping it alive.
Reply Quote
Sometimes using these combos, I end up with more damage then other times when I use them. Maybe it could be the order that i'm using them might have something to do with the damage at the end of the combo? Has anyone tested that?

I use these for +dmg

Fists of Thunder - Combination strike = 8%

Deadly Reach - Foresight/Combination Strike = 8% and 18%

Swift Wind - Combination Strike = 8%

Breath of Heaven - Blazing Wrath = 15%

Would all of these percentages matter in which the order I activate them? I'm guessing it would be best to use the smaller ones first and then have the bigger percentages activate after?

If someone could test it would be very nice :)
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Death Knight
05/20/2012 06:51 PMPosted by PresdantKush
Would all of these percentages matter in which the order I activate them? I'm guessing it would be best to use the smaller ones first and then have the bigger percentages activate after?

No, mathematically it makes no difference what order you apply them in. The result is the same.
Reply Quote
05/20/2012 05:50 PMPosted by rafaelrt
So it's probably a bug.

Sounds like it to me. Sweeping wind being able to refresh and keep the stack on Combination strike is just retardedly OP. From what the description SOUNDS like, is that it would only refer to the 4 primary Spirit Generators (notice how the tooltip capitalizes this). Not sure if you could use each one once and keep the buff alive, but I would assume that each individual skill usage gives its own 3 sec buff and can't be refreshed by other skills.
Reply Quote
I've been spending some time testing out combination strike and figuring out how its mechanics work. I thought I would share my findings here given how popular combination strike builds were pre-release.

1. The bonuses will not appear as a buff on your bar, I had to watch the characters stats screen to track the buff presence and stacking. This makes it difficult to know if the buff is still up or not until you have a good intuition for it.

3. There is only 1 buff to refresh, not a buff per ability. This means that once you have used all of the 6 abilities once, you can spam a single ability to keep the full 6 stacked buff up.

Most hell+ monk builds seem to include a spirit generator and sweeping winds, which means that for most off-the-shelf builds combination strike will be worth a 16% damage increase.

I been messing with this, I am able to get my dps on character sheet in nightmare from 3k to almost 6k using this skill. I am only using 2 different spirit generators though and seeing huge dividends.

I appears that any ability , even a proc that generates spirit increases the damage. So I use 15% damage form Blazing Wrath, then use Quickening, then Hundred Fist(spirited Salvo), and then Crippling wave(rising tide). Each of those 3 attacks can proc the damage buff 2 times it looks like, and sweeping winds can proc it also. I looks like I actually hit a 100% increase in damage at one point.
Edited by Lancer#1317 on 5/21/2012 9:53 PM PDT
Reply Quote
05/21/2012 09:48 PMPosted by Erudite
Each of those 3 attacks can proc the damage buff 2 times it looks like, and sweeping winds can proc it also. I looks like I actually hit a 100% increase in damage at one point.

I've also been seeing some irregularities in how the different attacks actually increase the damage. Usually they buff damage only once, but sometimes it seems like some attacks do the buff twice. I have no idea how this mechanic (or bug?) works. But dat +81% sure is nice :D
Reply Quote
I made a post on TL's diablo forum about this.

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=338357&currentpage=19#365

Combination strike has been super fun and adds a fair amount of depth to the class. I'd appreciate any comments and critcisms. I don't see any monks using this in their builds and would love to hear other's experiences with it.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
Thx for the testing good info.
Reply Quote
[quote="51486451018"]Sometimes using these combos, I end up with more damage then other times when I use them. Maybe it could be the order that i'm using them might have something to do with the damage at the end of the combo? Has anyone tested that?

I use these for +dmg

Fists of Thunder - Combination strike = 8%

Deadly Reach - Foresight/Combination Strike = 8% and 18%

Swift Wind - Combination Strike = 8%

Breath of Heaven - Blazing Wrath = 15%

Ok... so given those numbers thats 57%... does the mantra of conviction stack with it aswell? Because isn't that what... 24-48% more dmg?
Reply Quote
great post. combination strike is indeed an underutilized passive. very insightful to find that sweeping wind and exploding palm fall under combo strikes. clearly a bug.

I did my own testing and the math works on a 8% additive increase (not multiplicative). for example, having all 6 skills will give u exactly 48% increase from the doll dps number u started with.

it's indeed true that even with 6 stacks, u only need to use any 1 of the 6 skills to keep all 6 stacks refreshed.

I'd say that sweeping winds + 2 spirit generators is a very viable option in inferno. that puts 24% outgoing damage increase on a passive which is an interesting substitution for resolve which is a 25% incoming damage reduction.
Reply Quote
Yea. Great post. Just tried this out for farming. Works amazingly well with MoC and deadly reach with foresight for fast clearing!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight

Awesome. Except I already posted all this about 3 weeks ago.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en-us/forum/topic/5271782316

The reason Sweeping Wind and Exploding Palm also give stacks of Combination Strike is because during Beta, they WERE spirit generators. They got changed to spenders a few months before game went live. In light of the fact that the 'flavor text' under CS still talks about the guy being the first to master all SIX styles, it MAY be working as intended... or it may not be.
Edited by Zanathos#1462 on 6/11/2012 11:11 PM PDT
Reply Quote
a video please ?
Reply Quote
My combination strike that just dominated was... (bare in mind i have decent crit)

WoTHF - Blazing Fists
Deadly Reach - Foresight
Breath of Heaven - +dmg
Blind - +Dmg
Serenity - Heals
MoC - Overawe

Passives
Combo Strike, Seize intiative, OWE

MoC is your main spirit dump the +dmg is amazing I have been getting to around 50-60k dps. The ability to also be versatile and switch to using DR for the ranged minions. My crit, crit dmg, and attack speed are all relatively high so this build has done me wonders. The 3 stacks from blazing fists (15% attack speed, 15% move speed) i literally get this in seconds which makes kiting even easier.

EDIT: Atm i'm sitting Inferno Act 3, also if you go to the Game guide an look under monk it literally talks about Monk's using multiple melee attacks to increase damage.
Edited by Mike#6268 on 6/12/2012 5:29 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]