Diablo® III

Spirit Walk .. Wait, what?

I don't have a WD. I have a 55 DH and I'm looking to roll a WD.

Most of the the builds I see tend to take Spirit Walk, and I was curious how exactly it works. It seems straightforward enough, but what happens when you activate it?

I want to assume the mobs won't just all beeline for your body and maul it to death, and that the damage cap applies to already incoming projectiles or aoe attacks.
Edited by Thursday#1348 on 5/20/2012 7:04 PM PDT
Reply Quote
82 Draenei Shaman
It's basically a 2 (or 3 runed) second invulnerability. in which you can run through any mob, cast any spell, and move at like 150% normal.

The whole thing about your body taking damage rarely comes into play from what I can tell. Maybe it's bugged.
Edited by Apathy#1314 on 5/20/2012 7:05 PM PDT
Reply Quote
You are invincible for a few seconds,that's basically how it works. You can even activate it while immobilized for example one of the frozen elite thingy, you can activate to run away or even activate it to run in the middle of mobs safely and use Soul Harvest, then run back out.
Reply Quote
So mobs will just ignore your (physical) body?

As a DH I have Smoke Screen which works exactly like you describe, minus the run buff. But I also use that to avoid incoming aoes and such, like Mortar mobs, Belial's green explosions, and other nastyness. I use it like a "This incoming attack will probably kill me and I can't run, so.. *Smoke Screen*"

I have a feeling I couldn't use SW like that, with the whole "Leaving the physical body behind" aspect.
Reply Quote
SW is used for stuffs like that. I use it all the times to avoid hits and the likes, that's how I got the not get hit by belial arms achievement even if it is doable without spirit walk but still.
Reply Quote
Alright awesome. The description seemed a bit misleading..
Reply Quote
you take no damage and your physical body emerges wherever you end your spirit walk
Reply Quote
Well I think the leaving body behind is a bit misleading in the sense that the mobs by default will go attack a "fake" body of yours. I noticed it from to time where they would go attack where I used spirit walk( it leaves some kind of a purple body form). It's kinda ok but wouldn't rely on it too much for positioning.
Reply Quote
Alright, that makes a ton more sense as to why everyone was taking it.

My incorrect interpretation was that the body you left behind was fully yours and every hit it took actually hurt you. Made the skill seem terrible.

Now it sounds pretty damn nice.
Reply Quote
I always do use it while frozen. You cannot use it while stunned, and frozen for some reason doesn't stun (not sure if it is a bug).
Reply Quote
You are invincible for a few seconds,that's basically how it works. You can even activate it while immobilized for example one of the frozen elite thingy, you can activate to run away or even activate it to run in the middle of mobs safely and use Soul Harvest, then run back out.

no you cant. SW doesnt work while frozen or prisoned etc

It works while Frozen, not sure about imprisoned.
Edited by Merryem#1993 on 5/20/2012 7:38 PM PDT
Reply Quote
It breaks, prison and freeze, and while your in the spirit world, you cant get hit by any of those. So if you get in an unlucky corner with frost shards about to blow, time it and you don't take damage.
Reply Quote
You can use it to remove CC on yourself like jailed, frozen and even stun I think. I do it all the time when the Butcher hook me but I think certain special moves completely silences you like if you get caught in Diablo's cage. I use it to prevent CC though, like if you know you cannot dodge the exploding ice, use it right before it explodes.

It is also quite a core skill on WD because it has a good synergy with a lot of the short range WD skills like Soul Harvest.
Reply Quote
05/20/2012 07:36 PMPosted by Snooblet

no you cant. SW doesnt work while frozen or prisoned etc

Lol.

Yes it can.

Sorry, please try again :D
Reply Quote
Yeah, spirit walk is a way out of prizon and freeze

it can also be runed as a mana and life regen spell, although the life regen is very high in lvl.
The WD is one of the more difficult characters to make builds for though, but some WD builds can also be very rewarding. You can try some real crazy stuff with the WD builds

Also you get a pasive that returns you from the dead already at lvl 30 (the monk only gets it at lvl 60)! You also get a Intelligence buff spell that multiplies your intelligence already at lvl 9 (soul harvest)!

the Hex spell is also very rewarding as it works on the end game/ACT bosses!
Edited by Munin#1320 on 5/20/2012 8:13 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Yeah, the tooltip is pretty bad at describing what it actually does.

I didn't use it much on my Witch Doctor until I got to Belial (normal), and I kept dying when he started spawning tons of acid pools. I finally tried out Spirit Walk, and I found that I could basically nullify a decent portion of the attack and that made the encounter a lot easier.

The tooltip makes it look like it only prevents you from being affected by movement impairment, but it makes you move much faster and prevents you from taking damage.
Reply Quote
Makes you invulnerable speeds up your movement and allows you to clip through mobs. With runes it is also a great heal or a great mana regen. Overall the best escape and defense we have. You can use it to get out of all kinds of problems. Stuns freezes jailor snares. Only thing I can think of it dosn't work on is the diablo bone cage.

Fantastic escape.
Reply Quote
So -from experience- is does NOT work on Diablos bone prison??
I exclusively play hardcore so getting out of a bone cage is kind of important
Reply Quote
05/20/2012 07:13 PMPosted by Brolli
Well I think the leaving body behind is a bit misleading in the sense that the mobs by default will go attack a "fake" body of yours. I noticed it from to time where they would go attack where I used spirit walk( it leaves some kind of a purple body form). It's kinda ok but wouldn't rely on it too much for positioning.

I think the question Thursday is trying to ask is: Does the 2 (or 3) second invulnerability able to be cancelled if enemies deal enough damage to the WD dummy ghost?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]