Diablo® III

[Build] Arcane Ranged DPS - Inferno confirmed

Hey Everyone,

I've been reading builds for a while and seen several that appear to be accomplishing the same thing that my build does however much less effectively. That being said, i wanted to throw together a quick post to share it with you guys.

Note: Your build MUST compliment your play style. This build has helped me get through all of Normal, Nightmare, Hell and the first 2 acts of Inferno either solo or duo with a Demon Hunter (he's a RL friend that I play with). Just keep in mind that this is only what has been best for me, what is best for you might be different.

Battle.net calc link: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#acXPjS!cXU!ZbaZaZ

Skill explanation:

Magic Missile: Split - This ability does arcane damage which (thanks to your passives) slow multiple targets that are being kited and regen AP to allow for more orbs. None of the other signature spells work as well for kiting considering the extremely long range of MM and their relatively high dps.

Arcane Orb: Nova - This one might seem a little unusual as i don't see very many people running the Nova rune but I have found it to be superior to all of the other runes that I have tried. The purpose of your orb is to apply your passive's snare to as many people as possible. Nova will also do the most damage to minions that are clumped up (either on a tank or on your images) and make sure that all targets take full damage. Additionally I don't believe that the celestial orb rune causes hit recovery which is something critical for kiting (though I am still testing that).

Diamond Skin: Crystal Shell - IMO this is must have for almost all wizards. 20k+ damage shield on a short cooldown is just too good to pass up. The crystal shell is also a must as inferno mobs hit too hard to go without as they'll eat the entire shield in 1-2 hits.

Mirror Images: Duplicates - this is another spell/rune that I dont see very many people take but it is absolutely the staple of the build and has tons of utility. The key to this ability and Diamond skin are to alternate their cooldowns so that you are never really taking much (if any) damage. Pack of archers pew pewing your face? Throw an image in their wait to eat the shots. Azmodan got a big fiery death-ball coming at your face? Throw out an image and keep on doing the deeps. Mirror Images also breaks rooting affects such as Jailer upon activation. Another ability that I just dont know how some mages run without unless they have a pair of incredible tanks.

Familiar: Sparkflint - not too much to see here. It does the deeps. You dont really need anything else between images and diamond skin for survival and the only dps spells required are magic missile and arcane orb.

Magic Weapon: Force Weapon - same as above, pumpin the deeps.

Passives

Prodigy - This helps you spam more orbs to keep up the constant stream of AOE snares and massive damage

Astral Presence - until I get better gear with more +max arcane power I plan on running this just because i like how much damage I can frontload being able to cast an extra orb. The passive also helps you regen faster as you aren't always able to spam your signature spell to generate more AP while kiting fast mobs.

Temporal Flux - The snare that ties it all together. Ironically, as my gear has begun to improve in inferno I have actually replaced this passive with glass cannon to push my DPS up over 27,000. I find that I kill mobs so fast that the snare really doesn't even matter and between my Mirror images and Diamond Skin I have enough utility to handle any mobs i don't just blow up outright.

Alternatives

If this build doesn't look quite the way your play style would like to see it than here are some other great options that compliment this style...

Teleport: Worm hole - this is a great gap generator and adds a ton of utility to the build. Hold down your tele key and be surprised at how far you can get in 4 teleports... I normally replace one of my passive damage abilities if I am trying to incorporate this into my build.

Hydra: Arcane Hydras - These guys pack a decent little punch, apply your Temporal Flux's snare AND can be cast in the way of your kited mobs to dps for you without breaking your stride. I used these as part of my main build for quite some time but eventually pure damage won out and they were benched. They are a great choice for any high mobility boss fight where you can't stand still and pump damage.

Glass Cannon - As mentioned above, after a while in inferno you start to notice that you're pretty much already glass so you might as well be a cannon. I typically replace Temporal flux as you kill mobs so fast at the later gear levels that it really doesn't matter too much if they are slowed or not when they are eating 70,000 + arcane orb crits.

That's all I have for now, I'll try and keep this updated. Let me know if you guys have any questions or are interested in gearing/strats/grouping ect.
Edited by Phocus#1568 on 5/21/2012 11:23 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I have a very similar build (inferno as well), except i use the seeker rune for magic missile and poison hydra instead of mirror image. i will def try out mirror image, which i've always wanted to try but never had the chance. i find seeker rune to be good because you can shoot in the general direction when kiting (Even when monster slightly out of ur screen) and still guarantee that it'll hit.
Reply Quote
I'll have to give seeker a test since I don't really use the slow anymore due to the fact that I am basically 1-2 shotting most non-elite or champion mobs. At close range it is nice to hit for 150% weapon damage though.
Reply Quote
88 Blood Elf Warlock
what are your gears? whats your stat page DPS and your current HP?
Reply Quote
05/21/2012 11:26 PMPosted by Phocus
I'll have to give seeker a test since I don't really use the slow anymore due to the fact that I am basically 1-2 shotting most non-elite or champion mobs. At close range it is nice to hit for 150% weapon damage though.

what's your weapon (1h or 2h), weapon dps, and overall dps? I find that I need around 2-3 shots for regular mobs, and I have ~20k dps (2h staff with 804 weapon dps)
Edited by Jd007#1506 on 5/21/2012 11:47 PM PDT
Reply Quote
not sure how you plan to fight champion packs without your Flux in inferno (you said you replace it with glass cannon) I can't imagine that working.

Anyways this build is already pretty popular, people understand the kiting ability flux gives with MM, orb, and ahydra. Hydra will add more DPS than sparkflint btw, especially when kiting as it is 'always on'.

Mirror image is popular, but is often run with Illusionist for basically an invulnerability card pair with force armor.

Anyways I don't see this as too viable against vortex/teleporter champion packs, as without force armor when mirror is on CD you'll get 1shot and die.
Edited by drawkward#1463 on 5/21/2012 11:51 PM PDT
Reply Quote
05/21/2012 11:44 PMPosted by Alustrielle

I've got decent gear (all blues and rares) mostly from the AH. Here are my stats:

DPS: 27,000 (with glass cannon, magic weap and familiar active)
HP: 26,800
Resists: 49 % damage reduction or better to all elements
Progression: Act 2 inferno
Reply Quote
what's your weapon (1h or 2h), weapon dps, and overall dps? I find that I need around 2-3 shots for regular mobs, and I have ~20k dps (2h staff with 804 weapon dps)

my weapon is a 1h with ~650 dps. I also use an OH that adds 70-250 damage and have + damage on my neck and rings. I get additional AS from gloves which adds a ton of DPS. I generally dont 1 shot mobs unless i get a crit and they are low resist or low health but 2 shots are pretty common.
Reply Quote
not sure how you plan to fight champion packs without your Flux in inferno (you said you replace it with glass cannon) I can't imagine that working. Anyways this build is already pretty popular, people understand the kiting ability flux gives with MM, orb, and ahydra. Hydra will add more DPS than sparkflint btw, especially when kiting as it is 'always on'.Mirror image is popular, but is often run with Illusionist for basically an invulnerability card pair with force armor.Anyways I don't see this as too viable against vortex/teleporter champion packs, as without force armor when mirror is on CD you'll get 1shot and die.

Generally when I'm kiting I cant see the mobs that I'm hitting and again, with my gear upgrades I kill things fast enough that it doesn't really matter than much. My follower will take a few hits, I can take a few hits with DS and my 5 images tank extremely well. The only times that I have run into problems with champions/elites in inferno are like molten+jailer where they back to back jail you after you break the first one with MI and then just chain-gib you from full hp w/ds on. Teleport really isnt that scary as between my image cooldown and DS I never take much damage. Worst case I use a pot to stay topped off until my cds are back. Again, i can dps down most champs without any problem. Also, teleport and vortex dont hit you if you're more than a screen away.
Reply Quote
88 Blood Elf Warlock
05/21/2012 11:58 PMPosted by Phocus

I've got decent gear (all blues and rares) mostly from the AH. Here are my stats:

DPS: 27,000 (with glass cannon, magic weap and familiar active)
HP: 26,800
Resists: 49 % damage reduction or better to all elements
Progression: Act 2 inferno

@_@ gah, i need to start gearing away from vit and more into damage. thanks for the tip ill try incorporating arcane orb into my kiting, been using magic missile, blizzard and arcane hydras with arcane dynamo.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Priest
Care to explain how you get two conjurations? Cause I haven't figured it out.
Reply Quote
88 Blood Elf Warlock
05/22/2012 12:32 AMPosted by Arkati
Care to explain how you get two conjurations? Cause I haven't figured it out.

in the options menu (i think under gameplay tab), tick elective mode.

when you click your skill to insert a skill just click the left or right buttons at the top to switch tabs
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]