Diablo® III

Rolling a monk?.. Don't..

What you think monks do:

Insane amounts of damage with blazing attack speed.

Reality:

Monks use a sword and a shield and stack up stats that clearly are't meant for them.

It's funny how:

A. Demon Hunters
B. Wizards

Generate hatred/discipline and arcane power without having to do anything about it.
They don't have to go close to anything to get their power recharged.

Monks regenerate spirit only by attacking enemies FROM MELEE RANGE, witch in inferno difficulty means that you will have to go and face enemies that will probably 1 shot you.

Let me give you an example: you run away from elite creeps with 30% hp and 0 spirit.
You don't have enough spirit to pop your shield, nor your heal. What do you do?

A. turn around and hope you can land a few hits and dodge their attacks so you can pop your shield.
B. run (and probably die cause you will pull more creeps)
C. die

Now you are probably thinking: you idiot, monks do have items/spells that give spirit regen.
Of course they do. The problem about that is: 3 spirit/sec (HORRAY???) from a passive mantra? Oh please... Items? Yes, there are items with spirit regen. BUT they cost tons on AH and they usually cover some other stats that monks need more (such as vitality or dextirity)

Roll a ranged class, kite around, farm items, have fun.
Reply Quote
Or you could, you know, play the class you want to play regardless of the difficulty level. It isn't that hard a concept to grasp. Inferno was never meant to be something you finish in a few hours.

I just don't understand why people are complaining so much and contributing nothing more than tears and warnings of woe. What the !@#$ happened to just having fun with the game?

I'm halfway through Act 1 inferno, seen Act 2 (which ultimately destroyed my build). I didn't cry that monks were underpowered, I adapted. Currently farming to gain gold to buy better gear, and I'm working on different builds depending on different situations.
Edited by FeatherNET#1917 on 5/23/2012 11:42 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Bigjay - Care to enlighten us? The class works fine... I think some people might argue with that. And probably with good reason. Please tell us why everything is ok.
Reply Quote
Helm - 1 spirit / second
Weapon - 1 spirit / second
Mantra of Healing - 3 spirit / second
Chant of Resonance - 2 spirit / second
--------------------------------------------------------
Total: 8 spirit / second

With sweeping winds at max charges you can get an additional 3 spirit / second
Along with other various things that you have to spend spirit using to generate spirit...

So realistically it should take you 1-2 seconds to generate enough spirit to use a skill. Serenity and blinding flash both require 10 spirit. Dashing strike you can also get down to 10 seconds which can be used as a gap closer. So realistically, 2 of our defensive abilities (strongest one) take a second of running to use.

Edit: I by no means am saying that Monk in inferno isn't ridiculously hard. I was watching a dev video where he said that they made inferno so that they couldn't beat it. As far as development is concerned, this is excellent and I applaud them.

I hate to be this guy but the issue isn't the monk class. It is DH and Wizards owning everything that makes us feel like we should to (my neighbor just got a new boat syndrome). They should make the game harder for those classes and leave us be. They cant nerf kite mechanics or it hoses us too. They can however limit their defensive abilities and make it easier for these elites to eat them.
Edited by Immortal#1146 on 5/23/2012 11:48 AM PDT
Reply Quote
05/23/2012 11:38 AMPosted by Bigjay
this is an L2p issue.

an L2P issue? I have figured out how to play a monk and how to survive.
The thing is: Monks are forced to use shields and stack armor and resistances to survive.
Most of the monks soloing infernos have around 10k dmg, sometimes more, sometimes less.

Why would somebody want to make this game any harder to play by choosing a class witch is clearly worse than the others?

The way to play a monk in inferno is, wait for serenity/blind, land a few hits, run. --> repeat.

that's an L2P issue? Really?

No.

That's just not how a monk SHOULD work.
Reply Quote
It would be nice if monk's had a flat 1 or 2 spirit per second regen independent of any abilities.
Reply Quote
@Bigjay: Yes, the topic has been done to death, but it's a discussion forum and OP's post has actual content explaining his perceived issues with the class, which a lot of people seem to agree with. Your post has absolutely no substance except bashing of the OP.

Let me guess, you've finished inferno solo with your monk already, and you're just waiting for the rest of the world to catch up.

It's a discussion forum. Why don't you either address the content of his post, or else let it sink off the page because no one is replying to it?

"I came in here for an argument!"
"Oh! Oh, I'm sorry, this is abuse."
Reply Quote
Helm - 1 spirit / second
Mantra of Healing - 3 spirit / second
Chant of Resonance - 2 spirit / second
--------------------------------------------------------
Total: 8 spirit / second

With sweeping winds at max charges you can get an additional 3 spirit / second
Along with other various things that you have to spend spirit using to generate spirit...

Do a thing for me will you?

Go search the AH for decent items that have those stats without having to bargain from vitality, dex, sockets or resistances. Cause if a helmet (or any other item) gives you spirit regen, you will probably lose one of the other stats that we need in order to survive.

EDIT: forgot to mention, those kinds of items are extremely rare and hard to find. So farming them in hell difficulty would take ages.
Edited by Adamreborn#2909 on 5/23/2012 11:51 AM PDT
Reply Quote
No, every character in every game will not (and can not) be 100% equally balanced. If you don't want to have a real challenge, then rage-quit and go play your ranged character.

Sure, maybe it's a tad bit difficult but we're only 2 weeks in... give them some time to work out kinks/problems with the game and release a REAL patch. I'm sure it's in development and will help us out a bit. Ahlen's suggestion above is a perfect example of that, add a very small tweak (1-2 spirit regen/sec as a perm passive) would greatly help out, but wouldn't nearly be overkill.

This game was not designed to be a 2-shot insta-boss kill game where you can stand in a mob of the beastliest monsters and go afk... it's supposed to be a challenge and require you to use skill and thought. Kiting with a melee takes skill, it requires you to chose your punches, find soft spots, exploit bottlenecks in maps, etc. This right here is what BigJay is talking about L2P.
Reply Quote
05/23/2012 11:49 AMPosted by Adamreborn
EDIT: forgot to mention, those kinds of items are extremely rare and hard to find. So farming them in hell difficulty would take ages.

Ummm... you just helped blizz's cause out with that statement. They 100% intentionally stated the best and godliest items will take months (yes, plural) to find. And this is also how the game should be, not a 4 weeks in game and all char's are godly as all hell.
Reply Quote
@Bigjay: Yes, the topic has been done to death, but it's a discussion forum and OP's post has actual content explaining his perceived issues with the class, which a lot of people seem to agree with. Your post has absolutely no substance except bashing of the OP.

Let me guess, you've finished inferno solo with your monk already, and you're just waiting for the rest of the world to catch up.

It's a discussion forum. Why don't you either address the content of his post, or else let it sink off the page because no one is replying to it?

"I came in here for an argument!"
"Oh! Oh, I'm sorry, this is abuse."

But wait now. His goal here wasn't to discuss the issues. He just brought them up to further his point which is that everyone should reroll another class. It's right there in the title. Where else did you see this topic going?
Reply Quote
Edit: I by no means am saying that Monk in inferno isn't ridiculously hard. I was watching a dev video where he said that they made inferno so that they couldn't beat it. As far as development is concerned, this is excellent and I applaud them.

I hate to be this guy but the issue isn't the monk class. It is DH and Wizards owning everything that makes us feel like we should to (my neighbor just got a new boat syndrome). They should make the game harder for those classes and leave us be. They cant nerf kite mechanics or it hoses us too. They can however limit their defensive abilities and make it easier for these elites to eat them.

+1

But still, giving monks flat spirit regen or a skill to regen it from a distance would help a little.
For example if dashing strike gave you spirit instead of costing 35 (can't remember if actually 35) you could actually go back into a fight instead of trying to run forever...
Reply Quote
I'm struggling the end of NM, but then again I have no defensive abilities except heal LOLz, facesmash!

Think its time for my shield
Reply Quote
These threads are unnecessary stop feeding the masses false information about a class. The class works fine, the class plays fine, this is an L2p issue.

Please go roll a Wizard or Demon Hunter like everyone else who cant seem to figure out how to play a melee class in this game. Makes all of us other monks out there look that much more epic when we roflstomp you tools.

You posted you were level 39 in another thread. You are far from knowing firsthand what the people are complaining about when it comes to a monk.
Reply Quote
These threads are unnecessary stop feeding the masses false information about a class. The class works fine, the class plays fine, this is an L2p issue.

Please go roll a Wizard or Demon Hunter like everyone else who cant seem to figure out how to play a melee class in this game. Makes all of us other monks out there look that much more epic when we roflstomp you tools.

Please post a video of you being viable in act 3 of inferno.

Have you played Diablo or Diablo 2?

But still, giving monks flat spirit regen or a skill to regen it from a distance would help a little.
For example if dashing strike gave you spirit instead of costing 35 (can't remember if actually 35) you could actually go back into a fight instead of trying to run forever...

That would be nice, but may take away from the fun of the class Although i have yet to hit Hell or Inferno yet so I'll reserve my judgement till i hit those difficulties
Reply Quote
+1

You can rune it to 10 spirit.

@Adamreborn
I have +1.07 on helm, I am running no skill with any regen. I like to start my fights with full spirit =) Especially since i was using the 'glitch' to get massive regen on spirit. i do personally agree 1 spirit per second or something similar seems like a good idea.
Reply Quote
Buffs.... debuffs... intelligent kiting... win...
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]